JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you, bring all the guns home and then annoy the heck out of the wife by spending the rest of the day in the garage/workspace cleaning your guns, tumbling your brass and basically having a good time

or

Do you do one thing at a time over a couple of days to allow for some time with the family/missus etc.

Me...went shooting yesterday and used four rifles and a pistol. Only managed to get through cleaning three of them today as we had a few outings to attend to. I'm pretty lucky, my lady does not object to me spending time in the garage...in reality, I think she's happy to have me out the way ;)

I have to say, it's fun to play with all your toys, but it makes the post shoot cleanup a little more intense!

I hear ya. I only bring as many guns as I want to have to clean that night or the next day. They all get an external wipe down at the very least if I am not going to strip them and clean them immediately. Even if I don't completely strip them they at least get a bore snake run through them and the bolt face cleaned off.

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with my AR's. I love shooting them, but they are a pain in the rear to clean. :s0114:

If it means spending more time with my girl, then for all I care the guns can rust. :s0114:

Cleaning, tumbling brass, etc... those are all tedious things that I would forever avoid if possible.

To me, the single funnest toy in existence is about 5'7", looks great in a skirt, and even better out of it. I'd be playing with her non stop if she'd let me. :winkkiss:

If you have to avoid females to have a good time.... well....

If it means spending more time with my girl, then for all I care the guns can rust. :s0114:

Cleaning, tumbling brass, etc... those are all tedious things that I would forever avoid if possible.

To me, the single funnest toy in existence is about 5'7", looks great in a skirt, and even better out of it. I'd be playing with her non stop if she'd let me. :winkkiss:

If you have to avoid females to have a good time.... well....

I agree with all you said, but can I still like my guns too?

Hey what about our wives/female friends and everybody else who like guns too (no way am I gonna get political here :) )
...since my own gun collection right now is so vast (ha! total: two...), I have it pretty easy. My carry gun gets cleaned as soon as convenient after hitting the range or woods, usually soon as I get home. My wife doesn't mind me cleaning 'em at the kitchen table, but it might be different once the collection grows... 'cos I think there's a 1911 (or six) somewhere in my future... plus a shotgun for her... and a snubbie revolver or three.. and an AK for the historical interest... of course an AR... a handy little 9mm carbine... and and and and and :s0114:

Well i have one of these but shes 5'4, but sometimes i like it when she plays solo, with her toys but those cant be mentioned here:s0114:

I myself have 5 guns 1 AR15 and 4 handguns... i will say cleaning them is not my most favorite thing to do, so is what I usually do clean my Carry/HD gun first then the other ones...so if i dont get to them all in one evening its no biggie :D

I stopped cleaning after every outing. I was doing the same thing as OP--thinking about the cleaning & letting that dictate what I would bring, rather than what I felt I need to train/practice more with.
It has been great, and now I know roughly how many rounds all my guns will go without cleaning before they start acting up. (I went with a piston upper on my AR specifically so I didn't have to clean it so much). I just cleaned it for the first time this year (approx 6-700 rounds) and should have just let it go a few more months...the rainy weather has me looking for things to do!
But yeah,
sometimes it is nice to spend a few hours in the garage with my toys taking care of them.

Of course you can. You can like whatever you want.

I still like my guns too... but when it comes to my guns or my girl, there's no competition IMHO

FIREARMS...FIREARMS dont you remember "This is my rifle this is my gun, ones for shooting and ones for fun". You want to have the ol lady play with the gun.:winkkiss:

Too many great responses :s0155:

Yeah! A cute lady is definately a higher priority than the toys, but at the end of the day, you're all on this forum because you like to shoot....and that means the work that goes with it. I'm all for the distraction of playing with something else too(i'll keep it clean, this is a family friendly forum after all)....but as my old dad says, "if you look after your equipment son, it will look after you", while I would hesitate to call my lady 'equipment' (she'd find some interesting ways to use one or two of my toys to hurt me I'm sure) the sentiment applies there too!

Fortunately, I don't 'tend' to let the cleaning predict my gun selection for the day, but it does factor into what I clean first, just in case I am hitting the range the next day for instance.

This coming weekend (weather permiting) I'll take just about everything but the air rifles from the safe to have a little fun....lets just say I am going to be doing a lot of time in the garage next week. Oh! And I forgot to add....no cleaning in the house, apparently Hoppes smells bad :nuts: go figure, I had never noticed!

Only when its my AK and I'm using surplus ammo. I hate having to clean that and it prolly takes me almost as much time to clean as I did shooting.

Other than that I don't mind taking some time to clean em.

I guess I'm lucky, my wife actually likes the smell of Hoppe's! I usually clean guns at the coffee table with a show or movie on in the background. She jokes about it sometimes, she'll put on a chick flick while I'm cleaning guns and she thinks it's 'balance'.

I have it made, the wife goes to the range with me, shoots and then helps with the cleaning afterward! And she looks fantastic too!!!

wow, kinda funny, I just throw mine in the dishwasher:s0114:. actually I do^^ this too, or the boys or all of us. teach the kids how to tear em down and put em back together and your good to go.

granted, I usually only take 2 to the range, but I like the cleaning. It makes me think I have OCD, but its probably due to my old man drilling it into me that "if you take care of your firearms, they'll take care of you". (just got home from 3 months at sea, and while the guns were clean, I tore them down and babied them on principal) Plus, after seeing what a 1 hour outing followed by 2 weeks in the safe without cleaning does to an M240B, I cringe at the thought of leaving my guns soiled.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top