JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Free or cheap is not always the best way to go. A good class that covers the legal issues with the use of deadly force in your state is worth the price. I have yet to take a class in anything where I did not learn something. With something as serious as using deadly force, I would recommend you do you homework with something other than internet opinions.

I would tend to agree with Hawaiian, however if you already comfortable and versed in firearms I see no reason to go sit in a classroom and listen to somebody pontificate. Not saying that everybody shouldnt pursue additional education but in this case I would feel totally comfortable doing an online class to fulfill my CHL requirements. I took a "live" class and the instructor just read off the ordinances, etc. There was nothing to gain and in fact, I probably would have learned more if I sat and read it online at my own pace.

I would highly recommend a class that's specific to your state. The laws vary and I need to know them for my state. The class I took spent almost all of the time on the laws, enough on gun safety, and had no shooting. Yes, I could try to find the laws and court cases and teach myself, but since I had to take a class, why not find a good one and have it handed to me on a silver platter?

I'm one of those knot heads who believes 2A should be my permit, but that's not a fact right now, so I need to follow the laws.

I would highly recommend a class that's specific to your state. The laws vary and I need to know them for my state. The class I took spent almost all of the time on the laws, enough on gun safety, and had no shooting. Yes, I could try to find the laws and court cases and teach myself, but since I had to take a class, why not find a good one and have it handed to me on a silver platter?

I'm one of those knot heads who believes 2A should be my permit, but that's not a fact right now, so I need to follow the laws.

I agree and would also suggest picking up a book specific to the state written by someone who is intimately familiar with the firearm laws of the state. My experience is that it is easy to find the laws but court cases are tougher to track down. They can change the meaning of laws to something not immediately obvious. For example, your vehicle is a public place for the purpose of firearms possession.

I'd rather understand the laws beforehand instead of being ignorant and being referred to as the defendant.

The basic concepts of law in regards to concealed carry and permits/licences or simple enough, to fully understand the laws is way to complex for most.

I'm in the camp of no training or license should be required to defend yourself.. Period..

If I do ever decide to acquire a CWP. I'm going with the free course.

I have heard that some of the Sheriffs will take the Maryland online class, but I do not know who.

MD Firearms Safety Training

Thanks for posting! I just took the class and it was easier than reading the side of a Ruger. By taking this class you too can learn:

The difference between revolvers and semi-automatics.

The state of MD reccomends Hoppe's No.9

Glocks in MD come with some sort of bizzaro world integrated locks.

In MD it is illegal to wear, carry, or transport a handgun...even on a boat...even if you are rich and own a Hatteras sportfisher.

Nothing beats reading an owners' manual by the fire.

In MD, persons under the age of 21 are generally restricted from using or having access to your regulated firearm, except in certain specified situations. Uhhmmm...what is a 'regulated' firearms and what are the 'certain specified situations'? I must have missed out on the details there.

Why would I care about MD's laws if I was getting a CHL in Oregon? While interesting trivia, I would rather have the educational material geared towards the laws of the state I was getting licensed in?

Why would I care about MD's laws if I was getting a CHL in Oregon? While interesting trivia, I would rather have the educational material geared towards the laws of the state I was getting licensed in?

It was a joke, poking fun at MDs goofy gun laws. There is some discussion on gun safety. This is a fantastic course to take to meet the SAFETY training requirement in Oregon. Then you've met the state requirements for CCW. That's the point of the course. Now, as a responsible human being, you can take your $50 and use it as a down payment on council from a real lawyer to learn about Oregon gun laws. Legal advice is not part of the OR training requirement and, quite frankly, based on the content of the MD course, it really isn't a training requirement their either.

I didn't expect to learn about gun safety or gun laws from my CCW training. I already understand gun safety and gun law from what my family and friends taught me, my time at the range, talking to attorneys, and reading books from great folks like Mass. I simply expected to jump the anti-gun hurdle that was put between me and my constitutional right. Ditto if there was a training requirement for voting or speaking, which by the way I can do almost as well as I shoot. We all learn differently, so if this approach isn't for you, then by all means take another approach. This is America after all.

Meh -- I just spent the $40 and took a safety course at the Multnomah sheriffs department. The instructor has a sense of humor, and of course they went over when deadly force can be used with many examples. (At one point he even said: I don't care what Tri-Met says, you can carry, as long as the gun is concealed on Tri-Met)

Meh -- I just spent the $40 and took a safety course at the Multnomah sheriffs department. The instructor has a sense of humor, and of course they went over when deadly force can be used with many examples. (At one point he even said: I don't care what Tri-Met says, you can carry, as long as the gun is concealed on Tri-Met)

I think a lot of people like the examples for use of force. It's very important to understand those laws. I don't want to see another CHL holder shooting at some people who stole a few cell phones from AT&T. The shooter goes to jail and the episode makes us all look bad. I don't want to give ammunition to those who want to prevent us from carrying.

You should be able to open carry anywhere on Tri-Met with a CHL. They'll probably kick you off but they won't have any basis. Tri-Met can't make rules regarding firearms. Without a CHL, you are at the mercy of city laws on Tri-Met routes.

Hey guys, check into OregonCHLTraining.com as well. We spent over a year developing an excellent online site for CHL training. We cover Oregon law and use of lethal force, as well as basic handgun safety. There are many sites out there right now that simply show you a video and then sell you a certificate. The chances of you actually knowing that all-important information when you get your CHL is slim. We give you that information to read at your own pace...and then you take a short exam to make sure that you understood it. Once you pass your exam, you are issued a certificate. We created this site to give people a good, responsible option!
While we tend to be in the "The Second Amendment is my license" camp as well, we also realize that there is no substitute for quality education. Throughout our training site, we stress that all CHL holders should continue to train and learn! The cost of the class is $39.00 and the certificate is recognized by all County Sheriffs.

Thank you very much guys for this post and information. I'm taking the class tonight and will be applying for my CHL as soon as I can get an appointment at my local Sharifs office.

I wanted to let you know I found a website that specializes in helping people from Texas, Ohio, Missouri, NC, etc. They not only offer the training to get your concealed carry license, but they also tell you step by step what you need to do after you get your certificate from them. I know of a couple people that have taken this class and have gotten their licenses really fast. The site is www.OnlineGunClass.com .

Usually my friends from Texas have to take a 2-day class and pay alot of money. Then Texas takes forever to process there licenses. But when these people took the online class, they got there licenses in the mail fast and saved a ton of money... not to mention that they could take the class at there homes. Also, they used a coupon to save $5. it was SAVE5
It's worth checking out because they were happy.

just went there and got this message.

OnlineGunClass.com

Site Under Construction

We are currently taking care of our existing customers and are not accepting any new customers at this time.

If existing customers need support, please email us at: [email protected]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads