JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a nice take down gun and in .22 they seem to be few and far between.

As soon as the weather gets nice enough I start riding my motorcycle places. It seems this is also the time varmints start coming out to shoot. There are lots of great places to shoot around Yakima but transporting gun is interesting. So here are my requirements.

Fits easily on bike
Not semi auto
Able to be threaded for my can
Able to mount decent optic
Reasonable accuracy

Does anything like this exist? What I really want is my Ruger 77/22 in a take down version.

Might be a little hard to mount a scope but have you looked at one of the Rossi Pumps? Or even a Classic Winchester or Remington pump they are a blast to shoot and

requirements are suspicious.
suspicious-fry.jpg
lol jk

does not fit all the requirements:

Browning BLR Take down as does the <broken link removed>
d8cf2f72.jpg

Dakota Model 76 Traveler Bolt Action Take down
2c290547.jpg

How 'bout an old Marlin 39? May have to have someone shorten the tube and move the front sight but it would work.
There is a company in AK that make some nasty (huge calibers) take down guide guns,I'm sure they may have an idea too
<broken link removed>

The 1895 is the only thing that seems to come in a caliber that is not a little excessive for ground squirrels. I don't see where it comes in a take down version though.

Those Dakota are sweet though.

Here is your answer, and you can fish with it too!! http://www.packrifle.com/

Why not an auto? The browning BA22 is a good one, the ruger takedown is cool, and the henry survival .22 is there but not as good.

For a bolt gun the savage rascal might fit your needs. It is not take down, but the thing is tiny, and could easily be threaded.

You not going to get a Scope on any of the Winchester lever actions unless you go to a scout style mount or a stupid side mount. The reproduction 1892's from Rossi would be the cheapest the Browning or Winchester 1895 take downs are certainly not cheap. And as far as I know the smallest caliber they were chambered in were 30-40Krag which is just a hair under a .308 for power and works best with 150+ grain bullets so I would say all of them are over kill for a squirrel

I would second the Savage Rascal. As light as you can get and as short without being an actual takedown. Technically you can take the stock off quite easily but if I remember right the trigger group parts are all exposed to possible damage so probably not an ideal way to carry it. Yes the length of pull is made for small children but I just hold it off the shoulder and establish a tight cheek weld, using the tension against my face for stability. Since it is a .22, that is not a bad idea like it would be with any centerfire rifle. I found it to work quite well. I don't think there is a factory threaded option but I would imagine it's possible to have smithed. It does have scope mounting capability. For $140 at Bimart it is a really cool rifle to have around, regardless of whether you have kids around to shoot it.

Another one that you should check out that may fit your needs even better is the Chiappa Little Badger. It is a break barrel folding rifle (think M6 Scout) with a wire frame stock, accessory rail, and threaded barrel. Can't speak for accuracy since I've never shot one, but they look promising.

Another one that you should check out that may fit your needs even better is the Chiappa Little Badger. It is a break barrel folding rifle (think M6 Scout) with a wire frame stock, accessory rail, and threaded barrel. Can't speak for accuracy since I've never shot one, but they look promising.
I just bought one in .22 magnum. Accurate with the cheap scope I put on it (what I had in the parts box), and a very nice trigger. Took me a bit to get the stock adjusted for me, but I really like this little single shot.

A nicer (slightly more expensive) option that will actually fit all your spec's is a Winchester Model 9422 XLT they are single screw take down they are an angle eject lever action with a grooved receiver for scope mounting. And they are very accurate. Not to mention stunningly good looking. Prices range about $600-850 depending on condition. And are pretty easy to find especially on Gun Broker.

Model-9422-Traditional-MID-524024-m.jpg

I will look into the other ones listed but then I did remember they make what I am probably looking for from a few companies.

There are the take down Rossi/H&R style guns as well as the TC's which are more expensive but might be exactly what I am looking for.

I do not want semi auto both for the decreased accuracy but mostly for the increased noise when shooting suppressed.

Here is your answer, and you can fish with it too!! http://www.packrifle.com/

Why not an auto? The browning BA22 is a good one, the ruger takedown is cool, and the henry survival .22 is there but not as good.

For a bolt gun the savage rascal might fit your needs. It is not take down, but the thing is tiny, and could easily be threaded.
I have one. You won't be able to put a can on the carbon fiber barrel.

You probably could with a Marlin Papoose.

There is also a bullpup stock for various Marlin rimfire rifles - maybe it would fit one that is bolt action?

I have one. You won't be able to put a can on the carbon fiber barrel.

You probably could with a Marlin Papoose.

There is also a bullpup stock for various Marlin rimfire rifles - maybe it would fit one that is bolt action?

I have a "tacpoose" and it does not fit the accuracy I am looking for. I do only have a red dot sight on it now and would be a great back packing/ survival gun though. This gun was in very bad shape when I got it. I completely stripped it down. Filled in the side where someone had taken a big grove out (not sure for what). Had the barrel threaded and then I Duracoated it.

DSC06723.jpg

I also have a Ramline folding stock with cut down forearm and a non-cut down one for it.

Last Edited:
Come on now ,if you get a hand gun that shoots hi velocity ammo well,it is more than accurate at 100 yards.
I shoot my mark III at 100 yards accurately all the time
My buckmark is pretty good at 100 yards
Maybe you need to be quieter? so you can get closer?
When hunting don't run through the forest like it's on fire...lol

I know it's semi-auto, but what about one of the many available dedicated 22LR AR's? Take down is simple enough...

Lots of fun but not reliable with subsonic ammo. Still semi auto, not as quiet. Not as accurate as what I am looking for. I want something as accurate, or close to my 77/22 but takedown.

CMMG dedicated upper on Spikes lower with Leatherwood CMR 1-4x DSC_0004-4.jpg

I shoot this gun all the time. I have thousands of rounds though it. It is one of my main go to guns since it is reliable, fun, reasonably accurate and cheap to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top