Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tahmorressi Release

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RVTECH, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Does anyone believe the reason BHO did nothing to facilitate the release of Andrew Tahmorressi is because it was 'gun related'? Just a thought I had this morning.

2. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I think it is because he was in the military and was not a practicing mooselam like burgdof was.

3. donaldc

donaldc Seattle Active Member

Absolutely! Obama didn't do anything because it was gun related. It was also because of the way the media portrayed the issue. I bet if Sgt. Tahmooressi was detained because he was gay, the media would have been all over it with 24/7 coverage and the president would have done something. Instead, since it was related to guns, we get articles like the one below.
    Warning if you have high blood pressure you should probably not read this article - it will shoot through the roof!
    http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-maybe-we-should-thank-mexico-20140606-column.html

4. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

That article was literally sickening!

5. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Humble opinion, I think there is a lot of grey area in this case. First, and most importantly, he is a Vet and we need to take care of him and any issues (PTSD and the like) he may have from serving our country. That is an absolute.

I know there is a stream of illegal immigration flowing across this border but what if it was reversed and this was a Mexican military person with the same weapons entering into CA? Guess what, good chance he would still be in jail with an extremely high bail. What if he would have been stopped by CA law enforcement before entered Mexico and failed to stop as alleged? Jail. I'm not saying it's right, but let's face it, California gun laws are not much better than Mexico.

To me this is an opportunity to reflect on what happens when we let our own gun laws get too strict. Look what just happed in NJ recently. Fortunately sanity prevailed and the single mom is not going to jail for a similar act. There was a time I took a cross county trip and could not bring a gun because I was passing through Mass. At the time, there was a mandatory one year jail term if you were caught with a handgun. They still have draconian laws that defines ammo as empty shell casings. Hi cap mags face 2 1/2 - 10 years in prison with a mandatory minimum of one year! If the Sgt. had driven into MA he would be in jail for a very long time.

Very glad he is home and pray he can get all the help he needs.

6. oknow

sorry not say but that is a very poor example because they do it numerous times and allowed to return unmolested..

7. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Sorry, I'm not quite sure which part you are referring to. My main point is that we may actually have worse laws in some states on this side of the border. Some reports indicated that he had crossed over the border in this location three times prior so they might not have been so willing to call this an accident. (Every license plate entering/exiting is recorded.) There is no excuse for the way he was treated...which is why I will never travel to Mexico.

8. oknow

I know there is a stream of illegal immigration flowing across this border but what if it was reversed and this was a Mexican military person with the same weapons entering into CA?

well not the same weapons, they are carrying duty rifles instead of pistols

9. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

My wife and I vacationed in Mexico for a week at a time on two different occasions and had a great time. We agreed we will NEVER go to Mexico again.