JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to decide between 2 guns (maybe there is another that can be thrown into the mix that I dont know of, but these are the 2 in the lead right now)

Ruger SR-22

Pro-Based off an 10/22 so mods are pretty much ENDLESS
Pro-Accepts some AR parts
Pro-I can actually build my own using a Nordic Kit and add high end parts to it
Con-No Sights
Con-Not really AR Style

S&W M&P15-22
mp1522.png
Pro-Has sights
Pro-Styled Like AR, even takes down like an AR
Con-Mag looks like junk (IMO)
Con-Needs Flash-hider (IMO)

As for cost they are both about the same. What do you guys think, if you choose one straight off the shelf, which would you choose?

I am a big rimfire fan so I need to add something "tacticool" to my collection, this will be my last 22 rifle, but I may get a Spike Upper one day, but for now I just want the whole gun :)

Ok here we go.

This is what I did. Get the American Tactical M4-22 upper from Coctailer, $369. Then get an Aero Percision lower with DPMS lower kit from Surplus Ammo for only 119.95. Surplus Ammo is out of Tacoma Wa. Then buy a UTG 6 position stock, Area 51 tactical, $55.95. Blackdog mags and CMMG mags work with this set up. I also added a fake aimpoint. This rifle works great and looks like a real AR.

Ok here we go.

This is what I did. Get the American Tactical M4-22 upper from Coctailer, $369. Then get an Aero Percision lower with DPMS lower kit from Surplus Ammo for only 119.95. Surplus Ammo is out of Tacoma Wa. Then buy a UTG 6 position stock, Area 51 tactical, $55.95. Blackdog mags and CMMG mags work with this set up. I also added a fake aimpoint. This rifle works great and looks like a real AR.

Thats what I was thinking about doing, but the low price of that upper kinda scared me off, plus I was unable to find any long term reviews.

How many rounds have you gotten though yours?

I don't like the looks of the SR-22, however I do like their new 10/22 tactical. FYI, the M&P15-22 comes w/ a flash hider now; I'm buyong one for my son today.

My personal AR22 rifle has a Tactical Solutions M4 Upper on a CMMG lower w/ a Trijicon Mini Red dot.

I went with the SR22 mainly because of the 10/22 reputation. But I also liked the fact that it comes with an aluminum handguard (S & W is plastic), threaded barrel (options) and a flash supressor. I installed raised rings, the cheapest BSA 3x9 scope I could find, a few smoke Butler Creek Steel Lips mags (it didn't like the Hot Lips) and a Winchester Bi-pod from Wally World. Granted it doesn't look like your classic AR but it's a great plinker and very accurate.

A co-worker has the S & W but hasn't got to shoot it yet, hopefully we can go out this weekend. I'm courious to see how it shoots cuz i sure do like how it looks.

Thats what I was thinking about doing, but the low price of that upper kinda scared me off, plus I was unable to find any long term reviews.

How many rounds have you gotten though yours?

Around 300 rounds. I had some ftf, and a few fail to fire, but it was brand new. The more rounds I put through it the better it got. It was the least expensive upper out there. It also came with a one year warranty.

Ive had all of them and the SIG 522 is the gun they are all trying to be. It will fire damn near anything and the whole gun is cheaper than a dedicated AR upper plus it takes black dog AR mags.

Well personally I went with the S&W 15-22. But you should also consider the Sig 522, GSG-5, GSG AK-22, Colt/Umarex AR .22 and I'm sure there's others I'm missing.:s0155:

Trying to decide between 2 guns (maybe there is another that can be thrown into the mix that I dont know of, but these are the 2 in the lead right now)

Ruger SR-22

Pro-Based off an 10/22 so mods are pretty much ENDLESS
Pro-I can actually build my own using a Nordic Kit and add high end parts to it
Con-No Sights
Con-Not really AR Style

S&W M&P15-22
mp1522.png
Pro-Has sights
Pro-Styled Like AR, even takes down like an AR
Con-Mag looks like junk (IMO)
Con-Needs Flash-hider (IMO)

As for cost they are both about the same. What do you guys think, if you choose one straight off the shelf, which would you choose?

I am a big rimfire fan so I need to add something "tacticool" to my collection, this will be my last 22 rifle, but I may get a Spike Upper one day, but for now I just want the whole gun :)

I'm a big fan of the dedicated upper. Right now there are some good deals on the .22lr uppers and you can find low buck lowers that are better quality than what you'll find on the .22lr "clones".

PRO:
Looks like an AR
Feels like an AR
Takes down like an AR
Accepts ALL AR parts
Already threaded with the proper 1/2 x 28 threads
Mags look like real AR mags
Lower cost if you already have an AR
If you ever what to change the caliber you can, to any caliber made for AR's to include BMG50, try that with a clone.

Con:
Higher cost if you are buying a new lower
Not a complete gun unless you buy a lower

The only one I can speak for, is the SR22, as I have one.

Didn't buy it because it was tacti-cool, but bought it because everything about it is handy. And, it is hefty, so it's rock-steady.

As all my 10/22's, it functions flawlessly, and shoots every bit as good as every other 10/22.

Without sights, the sky is the limit on which sights you might want on the rail, from very affordable, to really expensive. I put a scope on mine, and with that, the suggestion I would make is get extremely high rings, as even the "high" Leupold rings I put on it, aren't quite high enough.

WAYNO.

I took a similar route to that of Swaney. Got rid of my 10/22's after I built this thing; don't think I'll ever have another 10/22. I would like to get a GSG5 and the SIG 522 to compare all them side by side.

Lower w/RRA parts kit/LAR Stripped Upper with DPMS parts/Ceiner Kit (runs very well)/Mag Pul grip/Generic stock/16 inch barrel 1in9twist/Tac 52 Supressor(hollywood quiet)/Fake Aimpoint(holds zero)
102_4889-1.jpg

Hows it shoot using the 223/556 barrel?? At one point was trying to decide between a full upper or a bolt conversion. But I read the bolt conversion was not very accurate. Any truth?

i took a similar route to that of swaney. Got rid of my 10/22's after i built this thing; don't think i'll ever have another 10/22. I would like to get a gsg5 and the sig 522 to compare all them side by side.

Lower w/rra parts kit/lar stripped upper with dpms parts/ceiner kit (runs very well)/mag pul grip/generic stock/16 inch barrel 1in9twist/tac 52 supressor(hollywood quiet)/fake aimpoint(holds zero)

nice!!!

Hows it shoot using the 223/556 barrel?? At one point was trying to decide between a full upper or a bolt conversion. But I read the bolt conversion was not very accurate. Any truth?

It won't win any accuracy competitions but it holds minute of bowling pin at 50 yards and minute of soda can at 25 so I can't complain. I don't think the rabbits will complain when I take it bunny hunting in March.

It won't win any accuracy competitions but it holds minute of bowling pin at 50 yards and minute of soda can at 25 so I can't complain. I don't think the rabbits will complain when I take it bunny hunting in March.

Hey Yankeefan, I think we need to do a rifle comparison, yours and mine. I love bunnies too!!;)

I bought my son a Spike's Tactical ST-22 Upper today at the PDX show to mount on a DPMS complete lower that is in my safe. After taking a close look at the a M&P 15-22, I just had to buy another dedicated AR-22 upper. For a little more than $200 more than a M&P 15-22 w/ flash hider ($475 vs $725), my son will be able to add a 5.56 upper at a later date if he wants.