JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because some of the tacticool .22LR rifles give you a really great firearm out of the box that is just as easily set up with a suppressor and many other accessories.

e.g. SIG 522 or S&W M&P-15/22.

Setting up a dedicated .22LR upper is also a good idea for your AR, but personally I would rather have a complete rifle ready to go at any time.

The value of a .22 Rimfire to me is for hunting.

I would assert I would more easily get better accuracy/precision out of something like a well done Ruger 10/22 for less money than something based on a military lookalike.

There are a lot of integral suppressors setup and running on the 10/22 platform. It is very popular in that regard.

I personally see little use for a "tacticool" rimfire, whether rifle or handgun. About the only usage I could see that would be objectively valid would be a faithful copy of a centerfire firearm, and even that is of limited use IMO.

YMMV

The value of a .22 Rimfire to me is for hunting.

I would assert I would more easily get better accuracy/precision out of something like a well done Ruger 10/22 for less money than something based on a military lookalike.

There are a lot of integral suppressors setup and running on the 10/22 platform. It is very popular in that regard.

I personally see little use for a "tacticool" rimfire, whether rifle or handgun. About the only usage I could see that would be objectively valid would be a faithful copy of a centerfire firearm, and even that is of limited use IMO.

YMMV
I will have to respectfully disagree with you good sir. You can hunt with that rifle, it's a great platform for someone to train in competitive shooting like 3 gun and such, when an if .22lr becomes more affordable or available, it gives a good rifle for your kids to get into shooting and learn what our military folks use (great recruiting tool lol). Mostly, it's all because that's what a person likes and wants to by. In most cases, none of us "need" anything more than a self defense weapon, or a hunting platform if you think that firearms are completely for certain identified use.
My liberal as crap father in law ask me all the time, why do need that assault rifle, are you going to war. I ask him, why does he have 2 labs, are you going hunting? My reasoning is I shoot platforms that I am very use to, AR, Scar, MP5, Sig p226, m9, etc, I think you get the picture. Although I grew up a country boy in NC shooting shotguns, 10/22's, 30-30's and revolvers, it's not what I like to shoot, it's not all about tactical, I love the tacticool sayings on here and the folks that knock it, when half of them practice tactical movements and home invasion techniques. Yes, my screen name is disgusting to some, I live/lived the life professionally and I shoot 3 gun tactical matches now ( that's where it come from), anyways a stupid rant, I might be way off what your saying but it's fun, everyone deserves to shoot what they want, practical or being practical is a waste of time lol.

I am all for people getting whatever floats their boat as long as no one is harmed.

I am just saying I prefer practical over tactical when it comes to rimfires because I don't see a rimfire as having much tactical value beyond in a suppressed role and only then in very specialized scenarios.

The value of a rimfire firearm to me is that they can be lightweight and small without sacrificing functionality. I have a single shot rimfire rifle that weighs under 16 ounces and packs down to 16" when taken apart if that gives you any idea of what I think is "kewl" in rimfires.

I already have tactical centerfire rifles, and if I want more tactical firearms they will be centerfires.

Compare the SR22 to the 10/22:

The SR22 weighs 6.5 pounds and costs twice as much as the 10/22 that weighs 4.5 pounds. The fact that it somewhat looks like an AR holds no appeal to me.

Now if someone made a bullpup semi-auto rimfire that weighed 4 pounds or less, cost under $400, and had the accuracy of a decently configured 10/22, then I would consider it, but it would not need to look all "tacticool". Yes I know there are few bullpup rimfires out there, but from what I have researched they all have problems.

Why a bullpup?

I like the compact design and even more so if it was a rimfire.

A lot of us are not regular hunters but target shooters and plinkers

I am all for people getting whatever floats their boat as long as no one is harmed.

I am just saying I prefer practical over tactical when it comes to rimfires because I don't see a rimfire as having much tactical value beyond in a suppressed role and only then in very specialized scenarios.

The value of a rimfire firearm to me is that they can be lightweight and small without sacrificing functionality. I have a single shot rimfire rifle that weighs under 16 ounces and packs down to 16" when taken apart if that gives you any idea of what I think is "kewl" in rimfires.

I already have tactical centerfire rifles, and if I want more tactical firearms they will be centerfires.

Compare the SR22 to the 10/22:

The SR22 weighs 6.5 pounds and costs twice as much as the 10/22 that weighs 4.5 pounds. The fact that it somewhat looks like an AR holds no appeal to me.

Now if someone made a bullpup semi-auto rimfire that weighed 4 pounds or less, cost under $400, and had the accuracy of a decently configured 10/22, then I would consider it, but it would not need to look all "tacticool". Yes I know there are few bullpup rimfires out there, but from what I have researched they all have problems.

Why a bullpup?

I like the compact design and even more so if it was a rimfire.
You can always get that red jacket thing....
Red Jacket Firearms - Sons of Guns - Red Jacket ZK-22 Bullpup Stock

I prefer the Butler Creek side folder stocks, myself

I have some experience with various bullpups and I have come to prefer them. There is no folding or any stock manipulation you have to do to shoot it, they are natural pointers and nice to carry.

If the Walther G22 was a better rifle I would buy one, but googling around it seems that about 50% of the owners have a lot of problems with them so I'll pass.

If Ruger can build a takedown, an SR22, a compact, and all the other 10/22 versions, I don't see any reason they can't make a bullpup version of the 10/22.

I would bet Hogue could make a bullpup stock for the 10/22 too.

I used an FN P90 for "work" overseas and I was not impressed with the bullpup as much as everyone else is, I get the concept and control idea, but it feels really awkward for me, but that's me, a lot of folks swear by them and it's like a Glock, you love them or hate them.

My vote for a tacticool .22 is the HK MP5 A5 .22LR as others have already posted. I have one and it feels very much like the real deal. Plus it looks awesome and is nostalgic to me growing up watching them in movies. I plan on SBR'ing it and putting the HK416 pistol barrel on since thats the best way to do it from what I have read. Going to give the EFile system a whirl. Not a bad little .22 in any way. Very accurate, all the controls like a real MP5, metal parts and I paid close to $400 for mine new.

If Ruger ever comes out with a 10/22 bullpup I would be on that like flies on poop:D

I have some experience with various bullpups and I have come to prefer them. There is no folding or any stock manipulation you have to do to shoot it, they are natural pointers and nice to carry.

If the Walther G22 was a better rifle I would buy one, but googling around it seems that about 50% of the owners have a lot of problems with them so I'll pass.

If Ruger can build a takedown, an SR22, a compact, and all the other 10/22 versions, I don't see any reason they can't make a bullpup version of the 10/22.

I would bet Hogue could make a bullpup stock for the 10/22 too.

I wanted to like the bullpup concept but have never found one that was ergonomic. The worst of all was the FN2000, spendy, too

My vote for a tacticool .22 is the HK MP5 A5 .22LR as others have already posted. I have one and it feels very much like the real deal. Plus it looks awesome and is nostalgic to me growing up watching them in movies. I plan on SBR'ing it and putting the HK416 pistol barrel on since thats the best way to do it from what I have read. Going to give the EFile system a whirl. Not a bad little .22 in any way. Very accurate, all the controls like a real MP5, metal parts and I paid close to $400 for mine new.

Exactly what I want for my next gun. It would be a great host for a suppressor.

My favorite tacticool 22 is a 10/22 with a very minimalistic carbon fiber ($95) folding stock and a Tactical Solutions SBX barrel ($245). Weighs next to nothing and short, but not an SBR. Suppressor does not add length.

Hair trigger though - need to do some swapping. No one handles that one but me.

HK MP5-22

I saw the GSG version in a Big 5 about a year ago and it really got me jazzed up about a new rifle like I hadn't been in years. Then I did some research and found out that the GSGs were relative crap and for $100 more i could pick up the HK licensed version made in Germany by Walther that was worlds ahead on quality, fit, finish, etc. The rifle feels really solid and weighs . . . hm, feels close in weight to my AR-15, maybe slightly less. Reviews have been sterling in terms of reliability and after over 1000 rds myself I'v not had a single misfire. Eats whatever ammo I've fed it.

Anyways, bought the rifle at Cabela's a year ago for $500. Then ordered the A2 fixed stock for it.

Damn if this isn't one of my favorite firearms now. I mostly like to plink with my guns and this is a FUN plinker. It's a toss up between the MP5-22 and my AR15. I'm not keen on the "fake" suppressor but they aren't legal up here in WA yet and I'll live with it to have the rest of the rifle. Better that than a weird looking skinny barrel.

Anyways, the Walther-made HK MP5-22 has an aluminum body with polymer fore grip and handle. Feels great to hold and handle.

Here is a pic of it and my AR15 for comparison.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76724&stc=1&d=1389689603.jpg

FWIW, the collapsable stock is cool but a bit wobbly at full extension. Not horrible but I MUCH prefer the fixed stock. The fixed stock is also 1"+ longer than the collapsable version and much more comfortable for cheek weld and a more natural feeling length between the butt stock and trigge

There are two versions of this if anyone is interested:

<broken link removed> and the <broken link removed> .

Ar15_MP5-221.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads