JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've started looking at Tacticool .22's recently. Most of them appear to be polymer based. I know it's cheaper to build them that way. I just don't like em. I've seen the higher end conversion kits from Tac Solutions. They are nice, but $500 to $600 seems high. You can buy a Colt which appears to be the best built for around $400.

So. Buy a higher end dedicated .22 upper conversion kit, or a full rifle?

Hk416d or the Sig 522. I have no personal experience with either, but when I was looking to buy one these were the two on my list. I liked that they were metal as well, unlike the M&P22 the gsg5, ISSC scar, or the gsg ak. In addition they seemed to be reliable with a lot of different ammo from the reviews that I read.

Happy Hunting

The Sig 522 is excellent quality, very reliable and accurate, and can use many Sig 55x accessories. The lower is polymer but the upper is forged aluminum. Mine has been a great shooter.

Also I would note, disassembly on the GSG guns is a joke, extremely complicated. 522? Standard AR/Sig captive pin disassembly, and the bolt is essentially a single piece unit. Cleaning/clearing is a breeze.

I've never had the 522 jam on any brand or type of .22lr either. It doesn't care.

I'll toss in another endorsement for the 522, I've pushed somewhere north of 5000 rounds through mine, and it hasn't slowed a bit. No hiccups, no nothing. Wanna put 525 of those wretched Golden Bullets through in a single setting? Do it.

Easy to shoot, easy to clean, super accurate and flat out dependable. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Do it!

So I went out today and put my hands on the Sig 522. I racked back the charging handle and it literally sheared away from the bolt. I had the gun in my left hand, sheared off charging handle in my right. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, and the guy at the shop was less than amused. I did like what I saw of the Sig. Looks easy to clean. I also put my hands on the Austrian made ISSC (SCAR) knock off. I like the way that rifle feels in hand. Looks like a pain in the *** to clean though.

Thoughts on the ISSC?

I have seen breakdowns of the SCAR. I don't want to ever deal with cleaning that. Same thing that turned me off on the 416. Feels cool, not made to be user friendly.

The 522 charging handle detachs from the bolt for dissasmbly, it may have been taken down and not reassembled properly. I'll see if I can do that to mine...

I went with the STG 44-22 and couldn't be happier.. great convo piece and collectable too

2013_11_26_185_91ab8799a9cb20892c13.jpg

I like the STG 44-22, saw one today. Just not sure I like it for $600, and that thing has to clock in at 10 pounds. You're right though, it's one heck of a conversation starter. I'd prefer an easier option to mount an optic. My eyes aren't great, so the iron sights are worthless to me. From a construction stand point and a cool factor. I dig that rifle though.

I have seen breakdowns of the SCAR. I don't want to ever deal with cleaning that. Same thing that turned me off on the 416. Feels cool, not made to be user friendly.

The 522 charging handle detachs from the bolt for dissasmbly, it may have been taken down and not reassembled properly. I'll see if I can do that to mine...

yeah, I doubt that you actually broke the gun. it's possible to seat the charging handle incompletely when reassembling, I've done it before. otherwise it's solid when attached properly to the bolt.

Most of the .22 clones of military-type rifles are made by Umarex. My buddy bought one of the Umarex "Colt" AR's from Big 5 and had nothing but trouble with it.

FWIW, I have an AR lower with a CMMG .22 upper and Black Dog magazines. It's a great combo!

I like the STG 44-22, saw one today. Just not sure I like it for $600, and that thing has to clock in at 10 pounds. You're right though, it's one heck of a conversation starter. I'd prefer an easier option to mount an optic. My eyes aren't great, so the iron sights are worthless to me. From a construction stand point and a cool factor. I dig that rifle though.

CDNN has them for less than 500$

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

The STG is a hoot, and is the only .22 I would purchase after my Sig. My friend has one, and it has been fairly reliable, on par with a 10/22. It flat out feels like a rifle, but I'm glad he gets to clean it.

I played around with my 522, and it is indeed possible to assemble the bolt incompletely. Guessing that's what happened to you at the store.

None.

why?

Because the only Tactical 22 rimfire I can think of would be something like a Browning Buckmark with an integral barrel suppressor.

Other than that, I would not waste my money putting lipstick on a pig.

Because some of the tacticool .22LR rifles give you a really great firearm out of the box that is just as easily set up with a suppressor and many other accessories.

e.g. SIG 522 or S&W M&P-15/22.

Setting up a dedicated .22LR upper is also a good idea for your AR, but personally I would rather have a complete rifle ready to go at any time.

CDNN has them for $450 dealer cost. They are meant to mimick the original centerfire and are about 8 lbs. My buddy's 8 year old daughter shot it

LOL I have 400+ in my 10/22 not counting the purchase price of the firearm, and the stock was a home modify so minimal cost.

No offense to the Bullpup enthusiasts. I just don't have enough experience with the platform to spend any money on it. I'd rather buy something that I'm comfortable with. AR platform rifles are where my familiarity is. And I'm not gonna mess with the quality of my factory built Ruger. It's a good shooter the way it sits.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top