Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tactically speaking, which is better for home defense, a pistol or a shotgun?

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Joe Link, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've always had my Glock 19 nearby, but I'm thinking of adopting my Remington 870 Police instead. I live in a large house but there are quite a few tight corners. If the shotgun is the best choice, which load would you guys suggest? I'm a bit worried about over-penetration. I'd especially like to hear from some of our training experts around here such as Steve and Dan.

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

DSC00500.jpg
    DSC00582.jpg

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Haha is that what you use Andrew? I wonder how those pattern.

4. coctailer

1" group if you use slugs:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thought these were the perfect hallway clearer. Won't over-penetrate.

$5 tax stamp makes them affordable also.

5. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

6. Joe Link

Not that they're on my to-buy list, but what do you sell those for Andrew?

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

shot will blow through sheetrock too... obviously not as much, nor with as much energy, but it just seems silly to me to pick a home-defense weapon based on how much more dead your neighbors will be if they take of your lead.

pistol, all the way. large-framed double-stack automatic, like a USP45, glock 17, HK45, etc., with a rail and x300 mounted to it. just doesn't get any better than that, unless we're gonna start talking about ARs....

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

My SP101 is my bed side pistol, but If I were to use one of my shotguns, I would go with nothing larger than #4 buck. It will kill em just dandy without as much danger for over penetratation.

9. Joe Link

That's an excellent article. Sounds like those Federal LE 132 00 loads fit the bill. 4" pattern @ 7 yards, that's amazing!

10. coctailer

$650 for the Mossberg
    $700 for the Remington

11. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Shotgun. Pistol might be easier to manipulate, but shotgun has a better probability of actually stopping a target.

I would say the best home defense weapon would be an SBR'd AR, with a 7.5" barrel w/ eotech and flashlight. This is the setup I am working on.

An SBS'd saiga 12 with an 8 or 10" barrel would be great, too.

NFA is not hard to get into. But it will eat up alot or all of your cash quickly.

12. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

7.5s can be extremely finicky.. i wouldnt ever go any shorter than 10.5, especially on something specifically for home defense/duty

13. fromotoc

I'll find a way to make it work.

14. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Joey, there is more to this than a simple one or two word answer and just the selection of a particular firearm type (handgun vs long gun). Please check your PM for my reply. I'd be delighted to help guide you through you choices and decisions which must be weighted against your specific mission objectives.

Ironically as I saw this I'm typing our new Home Defense Guidelines Lesson Plan which will include a compreshensive Home Defense Plan Guidelines White Paper.

There is more to developing an effective home defense plan than just selecting a particular firearm.

15. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Words to live by.

16. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

VSBR's are not any more problematic than other AR's as long as the manufacturer is competent.

Here is one that has 8k+ through it with no problems. It was assembled by Wes Grant at MSTN.

While it is a great VSBR it wouldn't be my first choice due to shooting indoors and the outrageous noise level. It will truely rattle your fillings.

P1010014.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  17. fromotoc

VSBR = Very Short Barrel Rifle?

18. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I go with Glock 21 for my house gun. 13rds of low recoil tactical hydrashoks. Can be used 1 handed.

19. FrontierFritz

FrontierFritz West foothills of the Cascade Mountains Member

4 Buck

20. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I would love to have both. I am impatiently waiting to pay off the credit card to go rack it up with the room broom.
    But I would say the handgun would be better for clearing a house at night, but if you are attacked and need a defense gun then grab the 12ga and clear that room. Plus it's damn intimidating.

You can find rubber rounds and bean bag shells online that would be great for home defense, no over penetration, however, you may say none lethal rounds aren't enough. I disagree. Getting hit with a bean bag round is equal to getting hit by a pitch from a major league pitcher. It will put someone down. And with rubber bullets, a shot to the head will put a BG down for good.
    And you can claim you did everything possible to not kill them.