JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like trouble may be coming and I'd like to be prepared. Thought it would be a handy item to have in my SUV.

I'm so old that the last time I went to war, we had the harness-style LBEs. Now days, those new-fangled tactical vests seem like a much better idea.

I went on Amazon and looked at a few that got good reviews, but not really seeing anything that was perfect. I'm pretty big at 6'2" and 300lbs. I wear a 54" suit jacket, so I have pretty broad shoulders.

In such a situation that I would need to don a tactical vest, my sidearm would be a Glock 19 and long arm either an AR-15 or an AR-style 9mm that takes the 33-round Glock mags. Every vest I've seen will hold the AR and G19 mags just fine, but none are set up for the 33-rounders.

Any suggestions?

Modular MOLLE vests of the Blackhawk Industries Omega pattern (NcStar makes an inferior copy) in MOLLE is likely your best bet, especially for the Husky sized ones. This can get expensive especially with putting new pouches on it :confused: I'm a few inches shorter thanks to my short legs, but about the same suit jacket size and weight, and I usually use LBEs or Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig as its a fair bit easier to wear on my person than an all out vest. Another option although can get pricey is the Eagle Industries CIRAS series of armored vests, size XL fits me barely, but if I drop a few lbs of belly, would be fine :eek:

I haven't seen a fixed pocket tac vest that incorproate both SMG and AR mags... but I'm pretty sure there are SMG vests out there that may also fit handgun mags... again, the BHI Omega series may be the closest to your needs... they do have the crossdraw versions which would have rifle mags on the right side.

Oh yeah, avoid the USGI FLC MOLLE II vests, theyre good for smaller dudes but looks ridiculous on big, broad chested dudes because they don't adjust for vertical torsos on the front... only the back, with the predictable result of them looking more like bras/chest rigs :eek:

I like this one because of the integrated holster; I can keep the G19 in it and loaded up with mags and just grab it and go, plus I think the 33rd sticks will fit in the AR mag pouches.

I've found better designs, but none that offer larger than 50" chest adjustments.

61ZNyeNBp9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

But, it also has no plate or camelback ability. It would be 100% better than what I have now, which is nothing, but don't want to waste money on something I will just want to upgrade later.

The original Omega and S.T.R.I.K.E. MOLLE vests were available in H size and had camelbak pocket in the back panel, although no loop to hold the bladder up like the newer stuff. They used to have a MP5 model which would fit the 33rd Glock sticks. :confused: The H sized version basically had extra long cords on the sides and a wider back panel for big dudes. For plate capacity, maybe look at Rhodesian recon vest or Recon vest, also abbreviated RRV;these are generally chest rig style setups with a rear plate pocket.

Looks like trouble may be coming and I'd like to be prepared. Thought it would be a handy item to have in my SUV.

I'm so old that the last time I went to war, we had the harness-style LBEs. Now days, those new-fangled tactical vests seem like a much better idea.

I went on Amazon and looked at a few that got good reviews, but not really seeing anything that was perfect. I'm pretty big at 6'2" and 300lbs. I wear a 54" suit jacket, so I have pretty broad shoulders.

In such a situation that I would need to don a tactical vest, my sidearm would be a Glock 19 and long arm either an AR-15 or an AR-style 9mm that takes the 33-round Glock mags. Every vest I've seen will hold the AR and G19 mags just fine, but none are set up for the 33-rounders.

Any suggestions?
Smg pouches will hold the stick mags. Molle Gives you the most options. Big question though, do you want armor? If you're putting on a vest, might as well protect the vitals.

OP is a big guy like me ;) he might not be able to let the straps out enough on that micro rig.
That's the biggest hurdle I've found in choosing a rig. The really good ones are only adjustable up to 50" for the Chest. My Chest is 54" and my waist is 44" with a 19.5" neck. I'm big with plenty of organic body armor, but still not morbidly obese. Still, about 80lbs over my ideal fighting weight from my time training with SEALs. I'm more of a walrus than a SEAL, now, lol.

Might just get the only one that I've found that will fit me and see how it goes. Like I said, the chance that I'd ever have a real need for it is very slim. Unlike me, lol.

Maybe ditch the idea of the vest all together. If you're wearing a vest and carrying a rifle, you're going loud and proud. Maybe put together a duty belt rig? Another option is kydex combo carriers like this:

62E78A69-8E36-46CE-B75B-C250F01FCFA3.jpeg
They clip on to your belt. Keep a paddle holster like a Safariland 6378 and you'd be well equipped real quick.

Well; the Tactical Tailor one piece MAV is 28 inches on the MOLLE panel, plus the back strap at 34 inches, plus the length of the 1.5 inch buckle. That works out to 62 inches without the buckle
Shown with 4x triple pouches and 2x Large Utility pouches. 20200314_164103.jpg

This is a custom LBE rig I whipped up in woodland using the MOLLE II utility belt, LBV shoulder pads, and SPEAR ELCS H harness pieces, the belt portion adjusts out to 54ish inches... but one thing I've noticed, the SPEAR pieces are unpadded, and doesn't feel that secure with only 1.5 inch web belt inside the pieces :s0092:.
Since I do have 1000D and 500D woodland fabric and foam material.. maybe best to make a one piece Fat Guy LBE belt? 20200520_160824.jpg 20200520_160504.jpg

Ended up ordering the vest in my post above, but in coyote tan. It was under $60, which is a typical tab at a local restaurant for my girlfriend and I when eating out once a week. Looks like the Extar EP9 is the wiser choice for a SHTF long arm, so I need to order some more Glock 33rd sticks that will work in both the G19 and the Extar.

81IAacHYUxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is a custom LBE rig I whipped up in woodland using the MOLLE II utility belt, LBV shoulder pads, and SPEAR ELCS H harness pieces, the belt portion adjusts out to 54ish inches... but one thing I've noticed, the SPEAR pieces are unpadded, and doesn't feel that secure with only 1.5 inch web belt inside the pieces :s0092:.
Since I do have 1000D and 500D woodland fabric and foam material.. maybe best to make a one piece Fat Guy LBE belt? View attachment 707824View attachment 707825

Dude, this gives me an idea for an awesome hunting rig for day trips.

Dude, this gives me an idea for an awesome hunting rig for day trips.
The parts are fairly easy to acquire. The webbing straps on the back is also easy to acquire.. the LBV shoulder pads though, you might need to get an actual LBV and cut the sewn strap ends on it to get the pads free... or you could use an ALICE Y harness and rig something up with the SPEAR ELCS panels and the back pieces.. or find the commercial H harness versions. The webbing straps and SPEAR ELCS pieces and belt can be found on ebay for fairly good prices

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top