JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Scenario: OH CRAP! Here comes the horde of flesh eating zombies down the street! Gotta grab my AR and my vest to pick 'em off and/or flea! This vest has many pockets and pouches for magazines, side arm, side arm mags, leatherman, maybe a radio, snacks, and a water bottle, and it's the very 2nd thing I grab after the AR.

Please recommend me a good vest for this. "tactical vest" - Google Search shows a whole ton of them, but I don't really know which brands or whatnot are going to be rugged and last a long time. I would really like it to fit both AR and AK mags, and as many as possible! $100 would be a nice price. The offerings from Condor look good, Tactical Vests -Law enforcement and Military , and are priced in my range, though I'm not opposed to spending a bit more.

Get yourself a plate carrier with the Molle system. You can add whatever pouches you want to and reconfigure it as needed. The plate carrier will also allow you to add soft body armor as well as the larger SAPI plates on top to provide you with full protection. Even if you choose not to add armor, or cannot presently attain it, the vest will function nicely. Both UTG and Voodoo tactical make nice ones.

I like the idea of the chest rig but is there anything out there that also carries 12ga shells and possibly sidearm mags? I've been looking for something in a bag that carries all that stuff as well.

tactical tailor is about as inexpensive as you want to go.. i also recommend a chest rig, though the DO take practice to into efficiently.

they're old school, but there's nothing wrong with a belt/harness LCE, and you can assemble a GOOD setup for less than $50. my home defense rig is a simple chest harness, but my field rig is an LCE

l.jpg

i recommend the H harness over the Y- supports your load better.

shoot1005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been looking at a few sites to assemble an inexpensive rig with no real luck. (amazon, cheaper than dirt, etc.) all i keep seeing are stuff for paintball. are there any other sites i could check out? i like the setup pictured above....

most of mine followed me home from the army.. but i've added to the pile from ebay, gun shows, and aloha surplus and andy & bax, though it's been a while since i've seen genuine GI TA50 at andy & bax- all they seem to carry now is the chinese condor airsoft stuff.

i'll poke around later today and see if i can find a good source- there's still TONS of it out there.

Try deserttactical.com I am going to do a molle vest and then do a mix of pouches for mags, radio, 1st aid, light, etc. Think I can do what I want for about $75-100.

I think the FN 303 is one of the better ones, mine is great

<broken link removed>

I only have one problem. Its not obvious to me what the primary purpose of all of the loops, rings, pockets and straps are. Are there any rules of thumb?

I think the FN 303 is one of the better ones, mine is great

<broken link removed>

I only have one problem. Its not obvious to me what the primary purpose of all of the loops, rings, pockets and straps are. Are there any rules of thumb?

i trust you're kidding...?

I like the idea of the chest rig but is there anything out there that also carries 12ga shells and possibly sidearm mags? I've been looking for something in a bag that carries all that stuff as well.

That is the purpose of the MOLLE straps that cover a plate carrier. You add whatever you want. My vest has a 12guage shell carrier, pistol mag carrier, and pistol holster.

I have a blackhawk strike commando thats alright, and I have a Shaddox Tactical chest rig that I like. Don't really care for the straps on the blackhawk, but it works and it has spots for a plate on the front (not that I am ever gonna get one). The Shaddox is a simple chest rig with molle webbing on it. After running one with a bunch of mags and junk on it, I would 2nd the comment about getting a padded H type harness. Really takes some of the pressure points off the shoulders and lessens fatigue. Main reason I like the shaddox is that they are made like 2 miles from my house and have hooked me up with a lot of little custom bits here and there, plus their stuff is stout and works well. SOE and Tactical Tailor are probably the only other places I would go to get stuff. Also after having some old LBE stuff and a "tac vest" I have come to the conclusion that you should not cheap out if at all possible. Vests suck for me since I am tall and skinny as a rail. You load em up and the just never fit good and I could never run in one. The chest rig seems to help solve this issue.

If you want I would probably part with the blackhawk for the right price ;) . Would like to get my wife something that would work a bit better for her.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top