JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To get you started in the regard FD just mentioned, you could just do (for free) what they do in Army basic training... that is you keep/carry your weapon with you 24/7 in every activity (or as much is practical) in the average working person's day/week, because humans being what they are will fiddle with it, look at it, study it, and hence become conditioned to, and intimately familiar with every contour, latch, detent, weight, balance, orentation, etc... even in complete darkness, and that is the major crux of manipulating the weapon under stress (or not).

No I"m not saying a brother in arms will be my attacker, but in a the volatile world that we now live in, you never know what's next. It isn't for a what if scenario, it's for a when it does happen scenario. And that makes sense to get some preliminary self training, I know the basics and have fair accuracy at a distance, I have however never put myself under pressure while shooting. I'll start my own training, but I still want to formal training.

Any opinions on the OFA Tactical rifle 1 and 2?

I've done 3 OFA handgun and the OFA defensive carbine 1 course. Great place to learn and establish a sound foundation.

I've done 3 OFA handgun and the OFA defensive carbine 1 course. Great place to learn and establish a sound foundation.

I wasn't too impressed with the basic pistol course from OFA - too much sporting background showing from the instructors. But with the lack of a better option it's not the worst place to start.

Not sure what you are meaning with the bolded part.

Some presented techniques and solutions were not supported by reasonable explanations of "why so". Only one out of several instructors had LE background and possibly real life experience in use of deadly force (being on a SWAT team and stuff like that). I'm not saying one can't learn useful stuff from somebody who "never shot anybody", but just that I wasn't too impressed especially by the attitude. And yes, I some of those instructors are big in IDPA/IPSC arena.

There are quite a few good schools out there that can get you up to any speed you wish. YouTube is great for giving you a glimpse at what a school or instructor can offer. Maybe you will choose to invest in a DVD set while saving for training costs. The important thing is you have a desire for training. I would look to Thunder Ranch, Vickers Tactical, Haley Strategic, Costa Ludus, Southnarc's ECQC & DARC in no particular order.

Some presented techniques and solutions were not supported by reasonable explanations of "why so". Only one out of several instructors had LE background and possibly real life experience in use of deadly force (being on a SWAT team and stuff like that). I'm not saying one can't learn useful stuff from somebody who "never shot anybody", but just that I wasn't too impressed especially by the attitude. And yes, I some of those instructors are big in IDPA/IPSC arena.

Could you give an example? Because my formal instruction has been limited to OFA I have nothing to compare it to so that is the basis of my question.

I was lucky in that OFA had been doing a week long instructor development course and the final day for those guys (mostly LEO's) was my DH1 course. The instructor to student ration was nearly 1:1. I got lots of good instruction.

Could you give an example? Because my formal instruction has been limited to OFA I have nothing to compare it to so that is the basis of my question.

It's not a very recent experience, so most of my constructive criticism has faded away. Things were given as "do it this way", and reasonable explanation would not be provided in many cases. I questioned them on some malfunction situations, and wasn't given an answer. Other guys had some questions too, with the same results. Most importantly I think certain drills weren't appropriate for that level of class (barricades, retreats, etc). Perhaps I am just subjective, or wrong altogether, so take it like a review on amazon :D

I was lucky in that OFA had been doing a week long instructor development course and the final day for those guys (mostly LEO's) was my DH1 course. The instructor to student ration was nearly 1:1. I got lots of good instruction.

Yeah, it's very possible that under different circumstances their instruction could have been pretty good. Like I said - it's an okay place to start for lack of other options. Personally I prefer instructors with experience in application of deadly force.

It's not a very recent experience, so most of my constructive criticism has faded away. Things were given as "do it this way", and reasonable explanation would not be provided in many cases. I questioned them on some malfunction situations, and wasn't given an answer. Other guys had some questions too, with the same results. Most importantly I think certain drills weren't appropriate for that level of class (barricades, retreats, etc). Perhaps I am just subjective, or wrong altogether, so take it like a review on amazon :D

Yeah, it's very possible that under different circumstances their instruction could have been pretty good. Like I said - it's an okay place to start for lack of other options. Personally I prefer instructors with experience in application of deadly force.

Rick Benson (last name splling????) is a OFA co-owner and was a long time LEO and I believe still teaches firearm stuff at the Oregon DPSST. I know he was one of the firearm instructors when my son-in-law attended the academy.

I also know, as you probably do as well, that the OFA staff does a lot of their own training with Clint Smith and John Farnham and they both have experience with the application of deadly force.

The OP asked about tactical training and specifically special forces training. First, I would say all training is tactical in a sense. I think OFA teaches tactics specific to defensive use of firearms which I would suggest is and should be the mission for all of the folks that attend. It seems to me that if a person wants special forces type training it doesn't jive very well with defensive firearms training. SF training kind of has an offensive connotation to it.

Rick Benson (last name splling????) is a OFA co-owner and was a long time LEO and I believe still teaches firearm stuff at the Oregon DPSST. I know he was one of the firearm instructors when my son-in-law attended the academy.

Yes, Rick taught my class, and I've mentioned him (without name calling) :D

No I"m not saying a brother in arms will be my attacker, but in a the volatile world that we now live in, you never know what's next. It isn't for a what if scenario, it's for a when it does happen scenario. And that makes sense to get some preliminary self training, I know the basics and have fair accuracy at a distance, I have however never put myself under pressure while shooting. I'll start my own training, but I still want to formal training.

Any opinions on the OFA Tactical rifle 1 and 2?

I use a rifle as a home defense weapon. At this point it's my go-to weapon. I NEVER anticipate me having to use more than one magazine, even though I have spares.

IF the SHTF, then all bets are off. Frankly if you haven't recently trained as an infantry grunt, you are in the same boat as most competent long-arm, owners. I.E. better off than almost all plausible attackers.

If it's long term, then all bets are off and we're all screwed, however well prepared.

In the short term (90 days or less) then I pity the fools who want to make an assault on my neighborhood because they won't even get close before dying. I have me and teo other vets, well armed and able to mount a serious defense against all but the most serious and well-armed and well-trained attackers.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Knowing and getting friendly with your neighbors, taking them out to the range, prepares you more for any armed defense than all the ninja training in the world.

If you really want to know how to set up fields of fire etc, I recommend army FMs. Available on-line and free with a Google search.

If com block firearms are what you've got suarez international was the place to train. He's since moved onto the sig 556 but thats just what he's promoting. Check out worrior talk forum. A ton of decent akm training advice and tips, also tactics with that said platform. Id like to take urban marksman class and see what my rigs can do.

It isn't hard to find out what your rig will do. TAKE IT TO THE GD RANGE AND SEE!

Elevation only makes a difference at tens of meters. From my rooftop to your chest doesn't even come close to that.

My M4 or 556 will pound your *** at 300-400 meters. That's for the ones that get through my 600 meter range with the Lee Enfield.

I'm not in the least concerned with defense for my neighborhood. I have at LEAST three qualified marksmen with solid wespons platforms. I f you DON't, getting to know your neighbors would do you more good than being a mall-ninja.
\\

I know my neighbors, none of them are marksmen/hunters/gun enthusiasts, we got oh so lucky and are stuck somewhere in central Oregon, of all places, where are neighbors don't own guns... I'm getting property, and buying lots of ammo planning on over 1,000rds per month, well hopefully that much. I have my family to train with, and I guess that will do, however my combative/hapkido instructor/friend is an ex navy seal, really cool guy, I don't know if he goes shooting anymore. I'll have text him and ask.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top