JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at painting up one of my more tactical rifles (rattle can).

I'm not planning on hunting with it, but I thought should I ever have to use it in the area's surrounding my house it'd be nice to have a pattern/colors that would break up the evil black rifle shape.

I live in a neighborhood near industrial, university and wooded area. So I'm looking for designs and ideas that while urban, aren't you're typical grey, black and white paint jobs.

throw up pics of your custom painted rifles!

Duracoat is a great finish and easy. I did my AR. Here it is.

12-8-092038.jpg

Here are the results of my first attempt. Didn't have any particular setting in mind, other than wanting to rid the rifle of the classic rifle look. I like it. feel free to make fun or give advice.

I plan on going over it with clear matte sealer.

View attachment 202323
View attachment 202324
View attachment 202325
View attachment 202326
View attachment 202327
View attachment 202328
View attachment 202329
View attachment 202330
View attachment 202331

Blends in well. I have never been a fan of the snake-skin camo.

I would lay a couple fern leaves on it and spray another coat.

You can't mess up camo really.

For an snake-skin job, it looks great!!

Blends in well. I have never been a fan of the snake-skin camo.

I would lay a couple fern leaves on it and spray another coat.

You can't mess up camo really.

For an snake-skin job, it looks great!!

Yeah. I'm still wanting to tweak it. the snake skin was created by some fishnet clothing that sweatbeard left the last time he came over.

Duracoat is always a good choice. Some Krylon and some leafs, vegetation, branches can go a long way. Just make sure to take your time and prep really good.

The one key thing to remember when you have one of these dreaded "black" rifles is that there is no pure black in nature. Hike around in your chosen stomping grounds and take high quality pictures of the terrain. You will want to pick colors that will blend in with your surroundings. If your AO is urban you'll want to use shades of grays with faint touches of faded orange, yellow and blue (colors seen on curbs.) If you're in the desert you'll want shades of brown, from a yellow sand tan to light dead wood gray/brown. If you're in the forest your colors will be medium to dark earthy browns, shades of green and perhaps flecks of red, lavender, yellow, white and pink depending on the types of plants in your area.

In painting for natural areas, avoid straight lines and try and mimic the shape of foliage. For urban areas, straight lines work better, but make them blend from one color to another. At all costs try and avoid sharp color changes.

The human eye is bred for catching movement, color shifts, reflections and the difference between light and dark areas. So no black, limit light colors like white, yellow, pink and such to small flecks like flowers or faded like old chipped paint on curbs and buildings. Avoid making shiny paint, keep it dull. Also avoid painting large areas the same color. A large patch of gray or green will stand out. Keep the camo patches small and blended.

Dura-bake paints are kick butt but I got some "camo" rattle cans from Brownell's real cheap and just painted my AR. The paint lasted a long time, even with getting beat up. It's due a repaint since I changed out the barrel, hand guard and carry handle.

Might be old school but black is the best camo at night, heck even in daylight black fades in. No disrespect for those that want to add a paint job to there rifles, basic black works fine for me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top