Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tactical Pens =Joke?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by billcoe, May 6, 2011.

1. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Please tell me that this is a joke. Who would expect to use a "tactical pen" to defend themselves? I just saw my first one, a CRKT Elishowitz design given to a friend at a birthday party.

Seriously? :laugh:

2. sir-kind78

sir-kind78 Vancouver WA Member

I have one after the 1911 jams, unless teh ASP breaks, or my kershaw pocket knife snapps off leaving my blade inside them.

Ever seen the Bourne Identity? the sharp tip works very effectivly even with a Bic pen. The tactical pens are stronger allowing for more use without breaking.

Glass breakers are great, the DNA catchers are fun too, but if you stab them you have a blood trail and evidence anyway.

Seriously mine was stolen. Replacing it soon.

3. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out...

4. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

5. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I have one made by Benchmade, remember the pen is mightier than the sword!

6. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

this is a toy

7. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone has tried to take a tactical pen on a plane? I always feel naked on the plane with no firearm and no knife...

8. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I have heard reviews of using those pens as kubotans (as well as the stabbing ability) using them on nerve areas, knuckles, wrists, etc. but it sounds like it would take a fair amount of practice to get proficient at that.

9. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

Shhh, pens over 2.75 inches will be banned. Geeks with pocket protecters will be ostracised. Felt tips will be mandated 'for the children'.

10. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Probably not (from wikipedia)

11. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I carry one at work every day. Never had to use it and its use would be limited but use it as a Kubotan against a wrist or finger and its a very effective pain compliance tool.

12. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I got a free scorpion tactical pen with my botach tactical order a while ago. I like it and it's got a good clip and the pen part is pretty smooth. To me it's a pen with options..... would I used it in self defense? probably not but if needed I would use it. If you hit someone hard enough I bet you can really mess them up... in the face, in the neck, on the side of the body, on the leg etc. I was never into them but since I got it for free I dig it lol.

13. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

yup if you know how to use it right, it is not something to laugh it. Would I carry one? Probably not since I can carry a knife or a gun but if it's the only option, I would be happy train and carry it.

14. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

Getting one on a plane can be hit or miss. I have heard stories of knowing TSA agents saying no go to them.

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Kubatons don't really take that much training.If you know how to hit someone,you can use one.
    Put a big gob of keys on it (with little pointy thing too) to slap a sucka in the face.
    Or just poke them repeatedly in the ribs if they get that close.
    The crotch doesn't like them either.
    These look OK to use for that as long as the action won't break open while you are doing so.

16. Nickp

Nickp Olympia Member

I got my flashlight, which has a beveled edge, on a plane last month. The key is to not attract attention to it or you. Put your metal pen with some other pens and pencils and no one will be looking.

17. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

I like gadgets. The Benchmade one I have has a pointed carbide tip glass breaker. It would do a job on someone's noggin. I work in an office with a no gun, no knife policy. The pen is better than nothing at all.

18. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I bet teddy bears are offensive weapons in Britian, or soon will be. You could gag someone with the stuffing in one of those.

19. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I see one made by a company called, "UZI." lol...
    Are they actually an Israeli company, or are they just trying to sound cool?

20. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

well, I've seen people advertise "tactical" underwear and socks, so "tactical" pens aren't that far off, I guess.

You don't need anything fancy, heck, a Bic pen (the old fashioned plastic ones) would work just fine...