Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tactical mods for Mossy 500

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mjn, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

I've decided that my AR is going to be a 50+ yard tool.. so no need for flashlights and such..

My trusty Mossberg 500 12g is my in-home protection device.

What are the best (without breaking the bank) mods for this shotgun?

ie;
    *flashlight mounts (btw..I want to put a real light on it.. no maglight mounts)
    *tactical stocks
    etc.....

2. mjn

Thanks Sarge!

Stupid me... didn't even think about Amazon.. duh.

I'm just looking for the mount itself I think.. I've got several tactical LED flashlights..

Anyone ever use one like this?
    Amazon.com: The Mako Group Shotgun Barrel Flashlight Mount: Sports & Outdoors

I like that Backhawk stock too... not sure if I need the pistol grip part or not.. I think it'd look darned good with all black synth instead of the wood though..

3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

4. mjn

Actually, this one looks better built..
    Amazon.com: UTG Universal Slide-on Flashlight Ring: Sports & Outdoors

Drew, while I really respect Surfire products, it's difficult for me to justify spending 300$ on a light for a 350$ shotgun.. I think I'd rather have a mount that can accept one of my existing (or future) Surefire, or other tactical light..

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

-Keep the original stock. That blackhawk stock will break your cheek bone :bluelaugh:

-Surefire fore end light is good, just cost some money. You can buy surefire G2/6P and put Malkoff drop-in LED with clamp it. Gives you very wide flood type light.

-Side mount shell would good touch. Vangcamp/Maga tactical makes good mounts.

I would not add anything more than Light on Home defense shotgun. What count is, train and get to know the function of shotgun well.

good luck!

6. mjn

yea... I think all I really want to do function-wise is a light. I was just thinkin about a black synthetic stock and pump for looks..

7. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

8. mjn

9. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Elzetta light use Malkoff drop-in LED. Witch is very quality product. And what I use on Surefire G2.

10. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

I just got in my Knoxx Spec Ops stock and the Tacstar Side Saddle in the mail last night. haven't shot it yet wiht the new hardware but seems very solid and high quality.

11. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I had a hard time dropping the cash on a surefire foreend for my 870. It does suck that they cost nearly as much as the gun. I think I found mine on sale for $200 or so. I'm glad I finally got it though, definitely worth it once your wallet recovers and much easier to use on a shotgun IMO (I have a viking tactics clamp with a surefire g2 on an AR but prefer the integrated for a shotgun).
    Any synthetic stock will work if you want it to match. Hogue makes some nice furniture with their overmold line, although they are fairly "grippy" (mine snagged my clothes when mounting the gun fast so I went with a factory synthetic youth stock).

12. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I had one of those on back-order. Just installed it on my 500 using a UTG #003xls single-rail barrel mount. The setup is definitely more solid than the Mako mount. Might try modifying the Mako to fit on my coyote gun (lever action 357). It won't look too good, but at least I will be able to 'see' in the dark. :)