JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I was hoping to gain some shooter input on a problem I am having in shopping for a gun. I am in the market for a tactical rifle, specifically either an AR-15 or a Sig 556. The problem I am having is that I am a left handed shooter, and not really having been able to get my hands on one to try it out (I will be the first in my circle to purchase this kind of setup) I am not really sure how the cartridge ejection will affect my shooting experience. I therefore was wondering about any experiences fellow leftys might have had before I drop the cash, only to find Im taking spent shells across the body :s0114: Any input, either from southpaws or not, is much appreciated

capn,

You didn't indicate what you wanted the "Tactical Rifle" for...if you want it for plinking, sport, fun, or competition then you need to discount my comments...however if you're purchasing it for serious home or vehicle defense then perhaps these words might be of some value...

Most of the folks within my circle train to shoot and fight from the right and left handed/shoulder positions with standard/stock carbines. Self defense is a "come as you are event" and isn't like Burger King where you "get everything your way!"

For defensive purposes you need to be able to operate a standard stock (non-customized) firearm equally competent from the left and the right because you may not have immedate access to your fully tricked out, "make it my way" customized wonder gun. You may have to pick up a standard AR or piece of junk and defend yourself with it left or right shoulder.

Now you can certainly purchase a dedicated left handed carbine if that fulfils your mission - which again you didn't state in your OP. However if you're buying it as a home or vehicle defense tool then you might want to consider sticking with a standard AR or Sig as that is most common and universal for everyone within your home or circle of trust.

I shoot from the left shoulder with a standard AR platform and yes the empty cartridges go flying by but it doesn't cause any issues. Remember the AR was introduced into combat in 1963. So that means for the last 40 plus years both lefty's and righty's have been using it without any issues.

I think you'll find it isn't a big deal. Perhaps someone here can accomdate you during an afternoon shoot.

DAno

Last Edited:
2 words: Stag Arms

They are the only manufacturer I know of that makes left handed ARs. If your left handed, this would really be the best route for you to go if you're looking to get into an AR. Just remember, if you ever think of getting rid of it down the road, it's a double edged sword. There are a lot more right handers than there are left handers. So that would limit your market, but would be a pot of gold for the right buyer.

Then again, we all want to keep as many guns as we can right?

They are not left handed AR's. The only difference is that they eject on the left side of the rifle.

Charging handle latch, safety and mag release are still in the same locations.

Better to just buy a good AR instead. :s0155:

The stag guns are great in my opinion. I loved taking mine out and throwing brass at the guy on the left of me:D And yes it is its own nitch as there are not alot of leftys out there. DPMS I think makes another one but all I have heard is that they are junk.

Thank you for your quick replys! Dano, I should have specified that the rifle is mainly intended for plinking and fun, but I still thank you for your valuable input. I suppose I never did consider the to-date application of the two platforms Im looking at. Your input on shooting from the left is mainly what I was after, and Im glad to hear that the ejection is really not an issue. To be quite honest I have never felt it was necessary to remanufacture my rifles to a "left handed" setup, and in this instance was just wondering if there was anything I should need to watch out for with the ejection ports location considering my stance. It will be my first venture into a tactical rifle, my previous experiences being mainly in the bolt action area.

Phathom and Wakejoe, also thanks for your input. As for switching the guns ejection location, I think I still want other people to be able to enjoy the rifle without having to alter anything in thier technique. But duly noted and thanks again. :)Im leaning more and more towards the Sig 556 to be honest. Anyone had any experience with it?

Don't sweat it. I'm lefty, been shooting right-handed long guns off my left shoulder my whole life; semi, bolt, whatever. OFADAN is right on the money. Cases ejecting to the right is really a non-issue. I have also been shooting long guns and handguns right-handed, just to see how easy it really is, plus I feel it is an important skill to have. It's all about your mechanics and amount of practice. (The only exception I had personally was the m-60, that was a right-shoulder-only weapon for me. Too bad I have not had the chance to fire one of these over the last 20 years!) Best of luck.

Also know that if you are a lefty, no matter what AR you choose, you can get ambidextrous safeties, mag releases, and bolt catches if you look for them, they can be bolted on to just about any AR lower.
<broken link removed>
Bolt Catch
Charging Handle Tac Latch
Magazine Release

You can probably find better prices if you shop around, but the options are out there to make any right handed or left handed AR friendly for all to shoot without modifying your shooting style. You just got to decide, do you want to be the one with brass flying past your face or would you rather it go by your friends instead.

You will have no problems with any of the following, or at least I have not.

The ones I have used:
AR - you can add an ambi safety if you like.
AK
Mini 14
M1A/M14
Sig 556

I am sure there are many more that will be a great choice.

I am VERY right-handed, but my eyesight in my right eye is horrible. As such I've been forced to re-learn shooting rifles left handed. My ar15 is right handed and i've never had a problem with the ejected brass. My father went ahead and bought a left handed STAG ar15 and he loves it.

Either way, you wont have a problem.

Here's a link to the stag arms selection of left handed ar15's
<broken link removed>

I am VERY right-handed, but my eyesight in my right eye is horrible. As such I've been forced to re-learn shooting rifles left handed. My ar15 is right handed and i've never had a problem with the ejected brass.

Same here. I shoot all of my non-scoped rifles lefty, including my right-handed bolt guns. Depending on the rifle and cheek weld I can obtain, I shoot my scoped rifles either righty or lefty. For instance my HK91 with a cheek pad gets shot lefty, whereas my PSL gets shot righty using my left eye.

Keith

Buy a "normal" AR and learn to run it...you don't need special uppers or doo-dads....only thing I can recommend is an extended bolt catch, lets you lock the bolt with your trigger finger, VERY helpful if you shoot matches and need to lock the bolt back to inspect the chamber

Sig might be more "lefty friendly" out of the box

Look into an AK..( seriously, being left handed myself, I've become a big AK fan, they are THE most lefty friendly rifle as designed )

68454480213_0_BG.jpg

You can see the extended stop in this pic...oh, "Tac Latch" works good too....

Being a lefty myself, I was worried about the same things when I got my M4A3. I still got a normal one and after a while I stopped thinking about the brass flying out near my face. Actually, the brass shoots out sideways in front of my face, landing about 10 feet or so just behind my right shoulder and never near my face because of the brass deflector.

In an emergency, I would like to be able to pick up any AR15 and use it immediately without having to get used to it first. I still changed the safety to an ambi-safety, but I practice flipping it with my trigger finger every now and then to remind myself of what a normal AR15 would be like.

I didn't change the mag release, so I release it with my right thumb, pull out the mag with my right hand, and slam a new one in with the right hand. It's not as fast as dropping the mag, but it works for me. The normal bolt catch is easy to click with my trigger finger.

I love my rifle. It doesn't feel weird to me.

I'm also a lefty and have never had any issue with the brass from rifles. Lots of time behind the trigger of M-16s, and I would not buy a left-ejector, given the choice.

Well I'm not a lefty but I'll tell you what, I never ever notice the brass flying past my face when shooting from reaction side. Might be because I'm concentrating so hard on shooting though... I kinda suck at it. With everything from getting a good cheek weld to having good trigger control to inserting a new magazine, I am incredibly fumbly when doing it with the wrong hands. I need to practice more. :eek:

If I was a lefty, I'd focus on getting ambi controls more than anything else.

My experience with ambi controls: waste of money.

Practice using the stock parts and you can be almost as fast as a righty.

I've been toying with the idea of a right-side side charger, which would speed things up for me, but I don't like the fact you'd lose the dust cover.....

The reality is, there is no Left or Right in tactical shooting. You must practice with both positions so you can respond to different stimuli presented to you. For instance, a left hand shooter shooting to right of a barricade, should switch shoulder and grip in order to safely (i.e., less chance to get hit from return fire) engage your target while reducing your profile. Magpul Dynamics illustrate this very well.
Not to mention, if your in a jam, you want to train so you can pick up another rifle of similar design, and work the controls, and clear malfunctions like its you've trained.
Left hand guns are a gimmick, I can say this because I am a Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top