JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Birdshot may work just fine for the burglar that will think "OMG I've been shot, OUCH!!!" and run away. Of course if they are that irresolute on their crime you might not even need to shoot them, just point the gun and use a command voice. Not so much for the ones on drugs not feeling any pain, you'll just give them a nice big boost of adrenaline in their system on top of the drugs, with which to charge and stab you, shoot you, etc.

Birdshot may work just fine for the burglar that will think "OMG I've been shot, OUCH!!!" and run away. Of course if they are that irresolute on their crime you might not even need to shoot them, just point the gun and use a command voice. Not so much for the ones on drugs not feeling any pain, you'll just give them a nice big boost of adrenaline in their system on top of the drugs, with which to charge and stab you, shoot you, etc.

Apparently you've never been, or seen anyone else, shot at close range with a load of birdshot. It makes a real mess. For a while, this guy was in critical condition and it was touch and go. The blast hit him in the face and upper chest.

Even junkies on adrenaline aren't going to be able to function much with half their face shot away, perhaps blinded, and certainly bleeding like a sponge.

Trust me on this one, a close range shotgun blast is nothing to dismiss.

I am sure. My dad was shot with a 12g loaded with just rock salt as a teen at close range (was goofing around in neighbors yard) and he told me it was horrific. He could barely walk for days and the pain was crazy. He had to be carried off the property; and dumped LOL.

I could imagine a bunch of little #8-#7 shot embedded in you everywhere.

I'd still choose 00 for HD only because I don't want to risk my life despite the fact that I really don't want to kill anyone. It would be tragic and awful, but I'd work out the emotions after the fact. It is in my opinion (only) that when the economic collapse comes and half or more of the population is starving we will see a level of desperation that is otherwise imaginable. People will risk their lives to get to a box of crackers. That is why actions are often defined as Pre-SHTF as opposed to after SHTF. Measures are of course more extreme in the later scenario.

Gun owners debate Tacoma shooting, shotguns for home defense

There appears to be nothing quite like a solid self-defense shooting to crank up the conversation on gun forums, and right now over at Northwest Firearms and WaGuns, they’re having a spirited debate about a case in Tacoma – detailed in this column Thursday – in which a would-be home invader took a load of birdshot in the face.

<broken link removed>

That's good stuff, Dave.
I can imagine wanna-be Bad Guys looking up this thread after reading that article, and realizing, OMFG, these guys are talking about plain killing me, no questions asked. That could have a chilling effect!

Apparently you've never been, or seen anyone else, shot at close range with a load of birdshot. It makes a real mess. For a while, this guy was in critical condition and it was touch and go. The blast hit him in the face and upper chest.

Even junkies on adrenaline aren't going to be able to function much with half their face shot away, perhaps blinded, and certainly bleeding like a sponge.

Trust me on this one, a close range shotgun blast is nothing to dismiss.

I agree, they make really nasty looking, shallow wounds. But a shot to the face, at close range, and he lives, isn't something I'd trust my life to.
One of the shotgun experts on THR related a story about a guy (in europe I think) who decided to commit suicide with a shotgun using birdshot. Took him 3 tries. The first two were to the chest (point blank obviously), no dice. Second one under the chin did the job.
Another was a shop owner who had a violent criminal come into his business after hours with a shotgun. The owner's shotgun was loaded with birdshot, the bad guy used buckshot. There was a refridgerator inbetween them. The shop owners rounds couldn't penetrate the fridge. The bad guys did, and killed the shop owner.
I have been shot with #6 from a 12 gauge at about 50 yards (hunting accident). It stung a little. Didn't break the skin. At inside-the-home ranges to the face I'd probably be blind or maybe dead. I wouldn't want to be shot with anything, but I just don't think it's a very effective round for deer size and weight predators.
It would be great to have a load that wouldn't penetrate a layer of drywall but be able to take out the vitals in a bad guy but so far we haven't gotten around the laws of physics with current technology.
BTW I love your columns, keep up the great work!

Hopefully no one on this board will have to experience a similar situation......BUT if you do, do NOT speak to any LEO without your lawyer present. The only words that should be said by the homeowner involved in a self-defense shooting are "I want an attorney present before I make any statement or answer any questions. Thank you." LEOs are not your friend; not necessarily your enemy either, but definately not your friend.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top