JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure i will get a big laugh from you fishing freaks, but i went over to a friends home to night. He's a warm water fisher dude. my jaw dropped when i saw all his tackle. Lures. He said he's got $8,000 worth on the boat at all times.
Is this normal?

I'm sure i will get a big laugh from you fishing freaks, but i went over to a friends home to night. He's a warm water fisher dude. my jaw dropped when i saw all his tackle. Lures. He said he's got $8,000 worth on the boat at all times.
Is this normal?
Normal for whom? Fishing freaks would say yes. My fishing rods and reels alone cost about 1k. I have about $200 in tackle storage. Another $200 for salmon, bass, and saltwater each. Then I probably have $500 in fly gear. Those are all likely low guesses.
A poor cheapskate like me has about 2K-3K in gear, so I don't doubt somebody has 8K worth.
Sounds like a good friend tho!
:s0155:

Most of that stuff only catches Fishermen, not fish!
I got more into medium end rods and reels, and very little actual terminal tackle, especially stuff I had to buy, most is stuff I make, and we wont talk about what all THAT cost! :eek:
Then there is the boat, the motor, and kicker, the cooler, and BBQ, and all that!
But that don't count, because you only asked about Tackle! ;)

And we are just going to leave Fly Fishing completely out of this discussion! :D

F37E056C-C39B-4D7E-B86E-53B3AFB383F5.jpeg

Most of that stuff only catches Fishermen, not fish!
I got more into medium end rods and reels, and very little actual terminal tackle, especially stuff I had to buy, most is stuff I make, and we wont talk about what all THAT cost! :eek:
Then there is the boat, the motor, and kicker, the cooler, and BBQ, and all that!
But that don't count, because you only asked about Tackle! ;)

And we are just going to leave Fly Fishing completely out of this discussion! :D
I'm just as happy buying gear as catching fish, so I have no problems there. Also, I should add that I'm almost strictly a jig and finesse fisherman, except for a couple dozen spinners (all blue fox vibrax).
I definitely undersold my fly rods, as the two I have cost me around 1K set up, and you know that's as cheap as it gets for anything decent in that game (let's ignore the temple fork & medalist combos).

Is this normal?

Being a former salmon/steelhead fisherman in Oregon. And a small mouth/large mouth bass fisherman. A perch and pan fish fisherman. And a former jetty/salt water fisherman. And before I moved to the NW fished any waters available in the states of Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. And a boat owner of a boat with three motors for it, (sometimes all three hanging off it at the same time)......... I find it strange for a firearms enthusiast/collector, target shooter, hunter/ reloader(?) getting a chuckle out of other's hobbies being money pits? :D

Being a former salmon/steelhead fisherman in Oregon. And a small mouth/large mouth bass fisherman. A perch and pan fish fisherman. And a former jetty/salt water fisherman. And before I moved to the NW fished any waters available in the states of Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. And a boat owner of a boat with three motors for it, (sometimes all three hanging off it at the same time)......... I find it strange for a firearms enthusiast/collector, target shooter, hunter/ reloader(?) getting a chuckle out of other's hobbies being money pits? :D
Hahaha
Well I'm really just trying to figure out how one could use $8,000 worth of fake worms in a lifetime...?! I can see bringing out a tackle box with 20 worms, but he had about 700.

Hahaha
Well I'm really just trying to figure out how one could use $8,000 worth of fake worms in a lifetime...?! I can see bringing out a tackle box with 20 worms, but he had about 700.

You read the article (fishing mag) and see the newest, guaranteed to catch fish, ( Bass in this case) lures and you have to have four of them (different colors/designs, for different temps/water colors/lakes/seasons). Rubber worms/grubs/creatures etc, same thing only you need a LOT more of those. You need a bunch of different colors/shapes/ styles/sizes. The hard baits/crank baits/stick baits are what really cost. A real "Good" one could cost around $10.00-$12.00 easily. Maybe even more if it had a picture of the likes of these guys on the lure package....and their signature on the lure itself.

:s0140: I never fell for all that myself. But then i'm not that great at dissecting waters and figuring out "What Bass Want".

Hahaha

He is what I would call a tackle hoarder, lots o plastic cards to pay for the latest version of new tackle that catch only fishermen... He needs intervention....:eek:

I on the other hand am a conisure of mid end equipment (Lamiglas rods and Cannon downriggers) like @Ura-Ki, (I dislike the term tackle). All my stuff has been vetted and tossed if it did not deliver results (fish in the boat). I have downsized quite a bit since I gave up bank fishing and concentrate on lake fishing (catching)...:D

He is what I would call a tackle hoarder, lots o plastic cards to pay for the latest version of new tackle that catch only fishermen... He needs intervention....:eek:

I on the other hand am a conisure of mid end equipment (Lamiglas rods and Cannon downriggers) like @Ura-Ki, (I dislike the term tackle). All my stuff has been vetted and tossed if it did not deliver results (fish in the boat). I have downsized quite a bit since I gave up bank fishing and concentrate on lake fishing (catching)...:D
Well I will say I was waiting for your response. The only tackle I understand is on the field. Lol! Listen. I can see if it's salmon or deep see fishing with all those sparkling things. But bass?!!! He has 7 poles for himself alone on the boat at all times. Obsessive is a word I think of.

I've salmon fished next to an old guy that only had two lures in his old boat.
I once asked him why he didn't have more then that and he replied "More then two might confuse the fish".
He caught as many if not more fish then any other fisherman out on the river and the second lure was just a backup in case he lost the first one.

You say it was $8,000?? He must be desperately poor and just getting into the hobby. I'll bet there's a gov't program to help men get into fishing.
Hahaha
Let me explain further. Until a few years ago I'm the guy who usually kills the animals with a pair of jeans on, and a whatever coat. Just give me a cheap Remington core lok and I close the deal. Now I picked up some Swarovski binos and high end Leupold scopes. Better ammo now that I load. Camo? No. Range finder? Got one a few years ago. High end clothes? No. Spotting scope scope? No.
So obviously it's whatever fits your style. But he does fish 4 times a week. We live on a large lake here. For me it would get boring after the 20th time. When I go fishing, I go with my buddy. Has a super nice sled. He provides the tackle and pole. I bring the cash.

You read the article (fishing mag) and see the newest, guaranteed to catch fish, ( Bass in this case) lures and you have to have four of them (different colors/designs, for different temps/water colors/lakes/seasons). Rubber worms/grubs/creatures etc, same thing only you need a LOT more of those. You need a bunch of different colors/shapes/ styles/sizes. The hard baits/crank baits/stick baits are what really cost. A real "Good" one could cost around $10.00-$12.00 easily. Maybe even more if it had a picture of the likes of these guys on the lure package....and their signature on the lure itself.

:s0140: I never fell for all that myself. But then i'm not that great at dissecting waters and figuring out "What Bass Want".
He had $50.00 lures. Now if im
Catching salmon and halibut? Yea I'd spend some money. But bass?

Well I will say I was waiting for your response. The only tackle I understand is on the field. Lol! Listen. I can see if it's salmon or deep see fishing with all those sparkling things. But bass?!!! He has 7 poles for himself alone on the boat at all times. Obsessive is a word I think of.

I can see being obsessed with fishing, no matter the species because I too was "THERE". After my first trip on a Washington River in 1987 yielded a 17 1/2 pound hatchery steel head, man I was hooked BIGTIME!!!
I had to have a drift boat, not even knowing how to operate one, I had to have the same Lamiglas rods and hot shot plugs that my friend had in every color under the sun... I was in it to win it!!!

I worked a 60 hour work week and my weekends soon filled with fishing trips to many different streams on the west side of Washington.
I even had to train my wife on the different runs of steelhead AND salmon because she didn't understand why I had to fish on Christmas and New Years day. :eek:

On my 4th boat now with countless amounts of $$$ & equipment bought and sold I think I'm G2go till I get buried in it....:p:p:p

I was never enthusiastic about bass even when I lived down South. Catfish, bream, crappie and perch were a different story and could be caught with a cane pole...:D:D:D

Last Edited:
Hahaha
Let me explain further. Until a few years ago I'm the guy who usually kills the animals with a pair of jeans on, and a whatever coat. Just give me a cheap Remington core lok and I close the deal. Now I picked up some Swarovski binos and high end Leupold scopes. Better ammo now that I load. Camo? No. Range finder? Got one a few years ago. High end clothes? No. Spotting scope scope? No.
So obviously it's whatever fits your style. But he does fish 4 times a week. We live on a large lake here. For me it would get boring after the 20th time. When I go fishing, I go with my buddy. Has a super nice sled. He provides the tackle and pole. I bring the cash.

I've got friends like you.:D:D:D
I love all the venison, duck and geese that they bring by every year!!!:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews