JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you want drive 3 + hrs, you could shoot my voere 7 mag. as far as ammo it's about a buck n half a pop. I have 16 pops. most are going to shoot 2. It's worth 3 bucks to me, just for the laugh
Bring your own band aids and a Driver

Perception of recoil depends on the shooter, and not only the cartridge, but the rifle tested.

I had a 7mm Rem Mag in a Ruger 77 wood stock model. I found the recoil to be quite manageable, but also sharp compared to larger bore magnums. This was accentuated by the straighter configuration of that model's wood stock.

Stock Tikkas are pretty light so felt recoil will be significant compared to other rifles.
Just upgrading to a limbsaver recoil pad makes a huge difference.
Upgrading the stock and recoil pad will really tame it down.

I live a bit north of the town of Coburg. Easy access off I-5 but a bit of a shag from Vancouver.

I have T3s in both 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06 and the backyard in which to shoot them, as long as recoil is your main goal. You're welcome to shoot them both.

P

Aaaaannnddd,
Going out on a limb, you can try my 7mm-08, which can do anything a .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag can do, at ranges most people shoot deer or elk.

Yes, I speak from experience on both deer and elk.
It's where you shoot them, not with what, that matters most.

P

Between 7mm or 30-06 you cant go wrong with what you pick. I shoot the 7mm. If I could do it again I would of picked the 30-06. Way more versatile.

Please explain how its "way" more versatile?

7mm bullets of similar design will have higher BCs at roughly equivalent weights.

The 7mm RM will consistently offer higher velocities without even trying hard.

Shoots flatter, faster, farther, with no more recoil....

Okay, I get how the 30-06 is more versatile. It lends itself to belt-fed machine guns WAY better than the 7mm Rem Mag.

7mm bullets of similar design will have higher BCs at roughly equivalent weights.

Okay, I get how the 30-06 is more versatile. It lends itself to belt-fed machine guns WAY better than the 7mm Rem Mag.
I thought it was because you could get the high quality steel cased stuff!!! In all seriousness though maybe he was thinking it is easier to get or maybe cheaper price wise? Remington Express .30-06 is $21 a box of 20 and the 7mm Rem Mag equivalent is about $30. Who knows? Only he can tell.

Perception of recoil depends on the shooter, and not only the cartridge, but the rifle tested.
I had a 7mm Rem Mag in a Ruger 77 wood stock model. I found the recoil to be quite manageable, but also sharp compared to larger bore magnums. This was accentuated by the straighter configuration of that model's wood stock.
Totally agree - have a 7 mag that I can shoot 3 boxes out of without any discomfort, while I've had colleagues shoot it and complain of the recoil after two rounds. Seems to me to have less recoil than my buddy's 30-06 X Bolt.
Had a .270 with too short of a pull that would smack my face on every shot, developed a lot of bad flinch habits with that one....

Had a .270 with too short of a pull that would smack my face on every shot, developed a lot of bad flinch habits with that one....

Reminds me of when I shot a Savage 99 .308 or a 30-30... pretty good smack to the chops. Not something I wished to continue with.

My buddies daughter got scoped... she was lucky it was a 7mm Mauser round and not a 300WinMag. :rolleyes:

Its my opinion I really don't care if you agree with it lol... I was just giving some friendly advice based on my expierences. I wasnt trying to get anyones panties in a bunch. I enjoy the fact with a 30-06 I can get away with a shorter barrel when I am beating through the brush during hunting season. I think having the ability to shoot a heavier grained bullet can be very handy especially while hunting on the west coast . Like I said before both are great. Yes the 7mm outshines the 30-06 when shooting long range. Over the years I realized I have not killed many animals at 1000 yards but i have killed a good amount under a few hundred yards so i do not feel the need to be packing a heavy magnum through the woods with a big long barrel. My newest rifle is a 280 rem. I think it might be the best of both, but who knows good chance I might be wrong. With the bullets we have today I think a person should care more about how the rifle fits them, and how well they can shoot it more than what caliber it is......

Its my opinion I really don't care if you agree with it lol... I was just giving some friendly advice based on my expierences. I wasnt trying to get anyones panties in a bunch. I enjoy the fact with a 30-06 I can get away with a shorter barrel when I am beating through the brush during hunting season. I think having the ability to shoot a heavier grained bullet can be very handy especially while hunting on the west coast . Like I said before both are great. Yes the 7mm outshines the 30-06 when shooting long range. Over the years I realized I have not killed many animals at 1000 yards but i have killed a good amount under a few hundred yards so i do not feel the need to be packing a heavy magnum through the woods with a big long barrel. My newest rifle is a 280 rem. I think it might be the best of both, but who knows good chance I might be wrong. With the bullets we have today I think a person should care more about how the rifle fits them, and how well they can shoot it more than what caliber it is......

Panties are completely unbunched. It just bewilders me how one thing can be WAY better than something so similar.

Now to be quite honest here, there are NO worth wile differences between the .270 win, 7 mm Rem, .30/06, and .300 win mag at normal hunting distances in normal conditions, on normal animals! We could argue all through next month and never concede a single point between these four! It's just not worth the trouble! If you do happen to find the slight advantages one of these may offer to you, then that's the one to choose! That's it, end of story!:D Flame On! :p:p:p