JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What seperates Anti-government terrorists and those fighting for the rights and safety of their people?

For those of you that do not know about the conflict in Syria, it has escalated to all out warefare between the government army and the civilians fighting against the governments outrageous use of force against civilians.

The conflict is said to have started after government forces fired indescriminatly upon unarmed civilians engaged in peaceful protest near government buildings. It is estimated that more than 200 syrian people are killed every day, many of these are women and children. This conflict has been raging for months.

To break it down for you, the FSA (Free Syrian Army) is a civilian militia that has formed to overthrow the current oppresive military regime lead by President Bashar Al-Assad.

The FSA has been deemed by many to be terrorists and infact their ranks do contain some extremist factions, although all united against the government forces.
As the fighting continues government forces have began dropping bombs and heavy artillery on electricity stations, water distribution centers, and worst of all hospitals inhabited with wounded civilians and children. The attrocities of this civil war can be seen only second hand through the vivid youtube videos, and still photos that a thousand words could not describe.

For those that may be quick to call the FSA a terrorist organization, how many women and children would have to be bombed by the government for you to take up arms? Could you say that after seeing a child shot in cold blood that you would not also employ whatever means necessary to overcome such a government?

In no way do I condone the taking of a human life, but at what point would you take up arms and defend those who cannot defend themselves?

If you stood in their shoes today, what would you do?

Let me know what you think!

The FSA has been deemed by many to be terrorists and infact their ranks do contain some extremist factions, although all united against the government forces.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

People rebelling against governments may become terrorists if they attack innocents, but all governments are terrorist organizations by definition since all their power derives from violence.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

People rebelling against governments may become terrorists if they attack innocents, but all governments are terrorist organizations by definition since all their power derives from violence.

Excellent quote, i have not heard that before, it certainly applies in these circumstances.

Considering that the US is now openly backing the FSA, and considering that America has a really bad track record of supporting the wrong sides in recent conflicts, I am leery of automatically siding with the FSA's cause.

Keith

Depends on which side of the fence you are on. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Where it gets blurry sometimes depends on just who is getting hurt. Fighting for freedom from an oppressive government is a noble venture. If you end up killing or injuring a bunch of innocents in the process, or if you intend to replace one repressive government with another one just like it, then your venture doesn't appear so noble.

This is why what eventually happens in Syria (or Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and other places undergoing "Arab Spring") is so important.

There is a different definition of FSA that is used in the US - Free Stuff Army. (not really Stuff, but the site filter would bubblegum the other S word.

As far as Syria is concerned, let the Syrians sort it out themselves. It is just my personal preference but I will take the current sectarian government , cruel as it might be, over what would replace it - a hard core Islamist dictatorship.

As far as Syria is concerned, let the Syrians sort it out themselves. It is just my personal preference but I will take the current sectarian government , cruel as it might be, over what would replace it - a hard core Islamist dictatorship.

Agreed, Siding with a cause that could become more oppressive than the current regime is a slippery slope.

To Trainstktg

America's intervention is something that i am not up to date on. Although it would seem wise to supply them with adequate medical supplies and sustinance amounts of food. These are actions that can only cure, instead of kill.

The same leadership since 1970.

We are just empowering the rebel thugs to attempt to overthrow a 'regime' (a term we use for any legitimate government that doesn't kiss our arse) that isn't open to an RS central bank and is not bowing to US interests.

The rebels are indeed 'terrorists' - they are just terrorists on our payroll, so that makes them fine and dandy; even 'victims.'

Syria: Proxy War By U.S. And Gulf Monarchies | Global Research

Hidden US-Israeli Military Agenda: ?Break Syria into Pieces? | Global Research

The rebels are indeed 'terrorists' - they are just terrorists on our payroll, so that makes them fine and dandy; even 'victims.'

Syria: Proxy War By U.S. And Gulf Monarchies | Global Research

Hidden US-Israeli Military Agenda: ?Break Syria into Pieces? | Global Research

While i dont dissagree that america most likely has fiscal interests in mind,
if americans were in the same position, receiving aid from another country while fighting a civil war, Would that make the average joe a terrorist also?

I am not advocating the extremist groups that may take control, but doesnt the average man who has had his family killed have the right to fight for liberation without being labeled a terrorist?

Just because the government commits terrorist acts does not excuse the other side of doing the same. Both sides are guilty of being terrorists. I've heard the argument that our founding fathers were terrorists and I disagree. The revolution was not won by targeting civilian populations.

While I agree the government there should fall, I don't see where the result will be any different than what they have now. It is obvious that either side would rule with concern for power over population. How can you fight for the freedom of your people while completely disregarding their well-being? That isn't to say that there won't be civilian casualties. A side that has no problem sacrificing it's population is not worthy of leading them.

Assad may be a thug, but he honored the cease-fire with Israel that was signed after the Yom Kippur war in '73. My concern (and Israel's) is whether or not whoever ultimately prevails would continue that policy, and what they would do with the regime's large stockpile of nerve gas and chemical weapons. The Israelis will act to prevent that stockpile from falling into the hands of terrorist organizations, by any means necessary.

We are helping the freedom fighters,who are made up of al quida soldiers.Well at least half of them

Who knows?
And I aint clicking Burt's links tonight.Have to get up early

I should have worded my OP more clearly.
I dont argue that the FSA has terrorist extremists in their ranks, and i dont believe that this is americas war to fight, or even support.

I was more leaning towards the question that if it were you living in syria, how would you respond.

If you lived in Syria would you side with the government forces?
would you take up arms for the FSA?
or would you try to avoid the violence all together?

Very interesting hearing people's responses to such a sensitive situation. Thank you gentlemen!

What is this?

An fbi fishing trip?

I should have worded my OP more clearly.
I dont argue that the FSA has terrorist extremists in their ranks, and i dont believe that this is americas war to fight, or even support.

I was more leaning towards the question that if it were you living in syria, how would you respond.

If you lived in Syria would you side with the government forces?
would you take up arms for the FSA?
or would you try to avoid the violence all together?

Very interesting hearing people's responses to such a sensitive situation. Thank you gentlemen!

Most won't pick a side...

Being a Christian, I would probably support the government forces rather than the islamist groups considering what happened in Egypt.

I'm sure Israel is laughing their asses off about them killing each other.

Yeah, in a violent outburst such as that in Syria there are two factions battling it out and killing all opposition. Basically the thought is, if you are not with us, you are against us. So the neutral stance gets you branded enemy by both and slaughtered. I just hope that we don't get super involved in this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top