JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am trying to decide I have a Chinese SKS, no numbers match stripped down in good shape.
I did some modifications with wood and why it looks great in my opinion.
Now I am trying to decide do I go all tactical and synthetic, or stay with the stock wood.
I have other Sks's and this is my first bubafied one and even though the first project is done trying to decide on a final choice. O r I can just buy another sks and make two :)

My vote:

image.png

image.png

Hi Joe13 I have considered that one to too as a guy on youtube has done the same mods as me and used that stock its pretty cool looking especially with the extended magazines.
I do have a SKS Tapco synthetic stock already . Maybe I'll save up and buy one of these come to think of it. I hate taking a 300 sks and making it a 500.00 sks LOL

Just refinish the one you have with some sandpaper, linseed oil and call it a day.

Hi Joe13 I have considered that one to too as a guy on youtube has done the same mods as me and used that stock its pretty cool looking especially with the extended magazines.
I do have a SKS Tapco synthetic stock already . Maybe I'll save up and buy one of these come to think of it. I hate taking a 300 sks and making it a 500.00 sks LOL

True, if you ever go to resell it it may not fetch that much.

I sold my all matching numbers 1964 Norinco for $600 not that long ago though, so there are people out there that understand the value of a gun like that (sold it in a Tapco stock with the original on the side).

One thing I did like about the Tapco is that the gas block rail actually held prett good zero.

I could hit a potato at 125 yards every shot.. I didn't want to drill and tap the receiver cover.

There was a writer for Precision Shooting magazine, who decided to have both wood and fiberglass at the same time. He took the wood stock of his favorite rifle, laboriously ground down the interior until the wood shell was very thin, then filled it with fiberglass resin. Can't recall what he did with the pistol grip - probably drilled a hole and bedded an aluminum rod in there, or something like that.

My SKS is one of my oldest guns. When I got it, it came in a Tapco stock (bought it off a co-worker that needed some $$) along with some Chinese ammo. Never have had a wood stock, but wasn't a big fan of the Tapco stock. I ended up putting an ATI stock on it, and yes, I did do the detachable magazines (which I can easily switch back). It runs great with those mags and I like the feel of the stock, including the adjustable LOP.

Sure, it's not traditional, but it wasn't traditional when I got it. I may look for a wood stock at some point and restore it back, but for now, I just enjoy taking it out to the range from time to time - she keeps the AK from getting lonely.

I've used several ATI stocks on various guns, overall, I really like their products.

Photo is not mine, just one like it from the interwebs:

SKS%20with%20tapco%20stock.JPG

My SKS is one of my oldest guns. When I got it, it came in a Tapco stock (bought it off a co-worker that needed some $$) along with some Chinese ammo. Never have had a wood stock, but wasn't a big fan of the Tapco stock. I ended up putting an ATI stock on it, and yes, I did do the detachable magazines (which I can easily switch back). It runs great with those mags and I like the feel of the stock, including the adjustable LOP.

Sure, it's not traditional, but it wasn't traditional when I got it. I may look for a wood stock at some point and restore it back, but for now, I just enjoy taking it out to the range from time to time - she keeps the AK from getting lonely.

I've used several ATI stocks on various guns, overall, I really like their products.

Photo is not mine, just one like it from the interwebs:

View attachment 280181

Did you shave your bolt so the mag can be removed bolt open or closed. I did and love the added option especially when there is a ooopsy on the ammo.
I have Tapco stock with a AK-yugo foregrip thats the one I am considering its been redone so does not look like the typical tapco. Permanently mounted the fore-grip tonight it not coming of except with a torch LOL.

Did you shave your bolt so the mag can be removed bolt open or closed. I did and love the added option especially when there is a ooopsy on the ammo.
I have Tapco stock with a AK-yugo foregrip thats the one I am considering its been redone so does not look like the typical tapco. Permanently mounted the fore-grip tonight it not coming of except with a torch LOL.

Nope. Save for the stock and removal of the box magazine, it's a stock Chinese. Is there much involved in making that mod? Any drawbacks to making it?

Not much, a grinder I used a dremel with a metal cutting wheel, took longer but was way more precision.
It only removes the lower lips that hold the magazine those are removed and the magazine
moves freely. The draw back are using extended without the mod.
Case in point so you pull the trigger nothing, you now want to clear but not double feed.
You must hold the firearm , pull the bolt and eject the magazine a three hand job, if you slip you could pickup a new load and ram it in to the back of the round if it was stuck or didn't eject.
I had such a thing happen luckily the round pinched in the bolt and did not slam into it.
This was many years ago, and decided if I was going to use them I would use modified bolts.
I keep a few bolts around myself as extras as well as pins and parts. If you don't know by now I favor these allot even though we have Ak's and other stuff the simplicity of the design and ruggedness is what I think I like best if you have a pocket knife you can take this firearm apart in less then 5 minutes.

A note :
A guy was killed when he was clearing it slipped and shrapnel went into his thigh and he bled out. He had to hold it low to be steady to do all three moves and well didn't go well.
You don't need to mod, but if there is a misfire, a jam, squib what ever you are now put in the position of holding the firearm precariously. It probably wouldn't be as bad if the mag release work the same direction as AK-47's but the fact you push and pull makes three hands min to perform the extended mag release safely. I've done quite a few and no issues even gave one I did to my son and would have if I thought it affected integrity. Some forums say that doing that affects integrity I agree if using a grinder the metal could get to hot and was another reason I used a dremel. There is a great youtube video out there that gives the guidelines so you dont take too much off and they used a grinder which I don't recommend. Let me know if you need help on it be glad to give some tips.
My problem is picking out the next project with them which is why I asked here.:)

Not much, a grinder I used a dremel with a metal cutting wheel, took longer but was way more precision.
It only removes the lower lips that hold the magazine those are removed and the magazine
moves freely. The draw back are using extended without the mod.
C
A note :
A guy was killed when he was clearing it slipped and shrapnel went into his thigh and he bled out. He had to hold it low to be steady to do all three moves and well didn't go well.There is a great youtube video out there that gives the guidelines so you dont take too much off and they used a grinder which I don't recommend. Let me know if you need help on it be glad to give some tips.
My problem is picking out the next project with them which is why I asked here.:)

This is the reason I went to a fixed mag. I got mine with duckbills and the early Tapco folder... A trip or two to the range changed my mind about detachables and the CF needing 3 hands scenario. I am looking for a bolt to shave and I need the stock/trigger group spring as well one of these days. I keep my eye out at GS up here but some people want dang near AR BCG money for their old Siminov bolts.

it's a back burner project since I get plenty of other things going on.

Brutus Out

This is the reason I went to a fixed mag. I got mine with duckbills and the early Tapco folder... A trip or two to the range changed my mind about detachables and the CF needing 3 hands scenario. I am looking for a bolt to shave and I need the stock/trigger group spring as well one of these days. I keep my eye out at GS up here but some people want dang near AR BCG money for their old Siminov bolts.

it's a back burner project since I get plenty of other things going on.

Brutus Out

What I did was scout Ebay until I find a bolt new in cosmoline bolts those are the cheapest cause they require some deep cleaning. I think either look for the bolt parts there or buy some parts from Murrys. Here . <broken link removed>
Those guys are great, I usually get my parts and a full bolt for about $65.00 when done so for about half the price of what a AR BCG would run give or take. I would be careful buying used sks bolts on Ebay because its hard to tell what condition one is in and is why I try and find surplus in cosmoline, more work but I know its in good condition.
I would sell you one if I had spares, but I keep one extra for each SKS I have just like fixed magazines I keep extras for those. I have about a dozen duckbill. I prefer the fixed reliability but with work and effort they can work well a good start is the bolt mod. I have considered the trigger mod, but these things are pretty close tolerances be pretty easy to make one go full auto uncontrolled even, perhaps if I find a SKS junker I will try it that and triggers are also not cheap to buy or find no one makes aftermarkets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top