Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RVTECH, May 18, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Synthetic breaks down in the semi-long term? Reason is I changed my quad oil last summer and probably didn't put 10 hours on it all year including the whole two times I had to move a little snow. Anyway I am thinking of just replacing the oil filter and running it this summer. At 7+ dollars a quart for the special oil it uses I would like to get at least another summer out of it.

2. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

I think you are fine, but you might want to check the forums at bobistheoilguy.com. There are guys there just as crazy about all aspects of lubrication and things like filters as we are about guns, maybe even more so.

3. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

The oil doesn't break down at all and with only 10 hours on it probably didn't pick up much, if any, acids or dirt that come as a byproduct of IC engines running.

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Whats the cost of an oil change? Whats the cost of a new engine? What piece of mind worth?

I've heard of the diesel guys using Blackstone and for 25 bucks you can send them a sample and they will tell you if it's good or bad, but at 7 bucks a quart, that's 3 quarts of oil. I can't imagine your quad taking more then that.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I use amsoil in my VTX 1800 murdercycle and I have just under 123,000 miles. I think you are fine with a good synthetic.

Your mileage may very.

Brutus out.

nwo and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

That's the most miles on a motorcycle I've ever heard of. Wow!

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Don't even worry about it. Run it this summer. Hell, run it next summer too.

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

They always say to run your bike for about a half hour to get the water evaporated out of the case.
    As long as there wasn't a ton of water or other crap that got into the case,I wouldn't worry about it either.

9. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

If it looks milky I'd change it if not I'd run it a bit and check again to make sure there wasn't any water in the oil. Other than that it is probably fine.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.