JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look into a Remington Model 11. 5 shot SA.
If you plan to shorten the stock, research the limitations
remington_model_11_whipit_gun_by_baron_engel-d6bvfds.jpg

Last Edited:
Are you looking to satisfy the same craving that's had me contemplating a SBS side-by-side? (that is to say, grew up on Westerns and never stopped fancying them)

If so, I'm with Mark. You can find some well functioning shotguns that match the look and feel of the classics. You should keep us updated on the progress with the project.

Or did you just get done watching Desperado and it triggered an itch.
I think if you could find a quality SxS that has the auto ejectors that it would bump the cool factor to the next level.

The fit/finish on the Stogers is less than appealing to me, especially if I'm going to pay for a stamp. I'd really like something vintage and/or American made. I think some patina and wear would add to the cool factor! Plan is to cut it to 18" when I get it, then file for a stamp and cut it down more when that goes through.

Reason for wanting it? I love wood/blued guns and classic guns, and a "sawed off" double barrel is at the top of the cool list!

Shoot if I had the spare cash Id get the china made century JW2000 SxS
(Around $280-$350) then file the $200 stamp (plus $16-25 for prints)
then cut it down myself. All in all you'd be under $550-$600 total. (Minus tools used to cut and reem)

It was a decent shotgun, the screws need to be staked because the tend to come loose after lots of use, but then you cant break it down should you need to.:confused:

The fit/finish on the Stogers is less than appealing to me, especially if I'm going to pay for a stamp. I'd really like something vintage and/or American made. I think some patina and wear would add to the cool factor! Plan is to cut it to 18" when I get it, then file for a stamp and cut it down more when that goes through.

Reason for wanting it? I love wood/blued guns and classic guns, and a "sawed off" double barrel is at the top of the cool list!

Fit and finish may vary then because I have a Stoeger 20ga SxS in a Nickle finish and love it.

@Dyjital polished his Stoeger Coach SxS and disconnected the auto safety and claims to love it.

Something to consider possibly, some of the older guns can not handle some of today's factory loads.

You could always take some metal polish and get down to bare metal under the blueing if you want some wear and patina on it.

I have heard Stoeger went thru a few year where the quality was sub par but I believe they have fixed the QC issues.

Even if you buy a new over used gun your still only talking $300 for the gun and $200 for the stamp so $500 wouldn't be bad for a little sawed off 12ga.

Claims? Heck I took it out again last week and with a full and modified choke I couldn't miss.

@Joe13 new run Stoeger SxS's are $490 ballpark now (ouch). And require that finishing work still for action stiffness. :(

Sadly, even using a 'less expensive' new Stoeger you would be in one $700 + any small detail costs. Used market may allow $350-425 on the shotgun.

This thread intrigues me.

There has to be cheaper alternatives on the second hand market with older shotguns. I think keeping an eye open and having as many people search with you is good. Even if you have to offer a finders fee.

I'm really wanting a SxS 12ga Short Barrelled Shotgun. I would like something quality to start out with. What should I look for? I'd like to stay under about $700 for the gun.

You are talking about applying to cut down the barrel below legal limits? I would definitely not do that with a shotgun. Such short barrel shotguns are extremely loud, and will really damage your hearing.

A double barrel shotgun with a 20 inch barrel is plenty short enough for self defense usage. It is a real bad idea to cut a barrel down further, unless you totally want to wreck your hearing.

I was actually in a similar situation some time back as I've always really dug the classic style SxS SBS. I was tempted to use a Stevens 311 or one of its variants for a base gun. However, I ended up going with a Baikal from Russia. It worked well enough and looks nice with the blued steel and wood. Cost-wise, with the gun, the engraving, a recoil pad, and the tax stamp, it was very reasonable. The sound, recoil, and muzzle-flash is impressive, but not nearly as gonzo as my Serbu Super Shorty AOW. With mini-shells or low recoil buck, it is a pretty fun shooter. I'm tempted to SBS a Remington 870 pump too, but I digress.

Anywho, good luck with your project. And once done, please share pics. :)

Last Edited:
Having gone through the side by side shorty build on a stoeger coach gun, I have to say, that the handiness of 18 1/2 inch barrels that can take screw in chokes is seriously something to consider into your build. I also had my barrels ported right behind the threads and that takes quite a bit of the kick out of them! Another thing to consider is barrel inserts work best with the longer barrels! JMO I still prefer a trench Shotgun, I like the extra length and the bayonet lug as well as the steel but plate for smashin and stabbin that a serious fighting shotgun needs, Plus, its damn sexy! I have a serious love of old Winchester '97's especially the take down's, really breaks them down into a very compact unit for BOB/SHTF Bug work!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top