JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been looking at the Cold Steel 1917 Cutlass for a while just as a novelty.

Never gave it much though but with only a 25" blade it could be good for machete work, etc.

I found one for close to $100 but in reading Ive come across the Condor Naval Cutlass Machete which has favorable reviews and is close enough in price... but seems mostly compared to the $35 Cold Steel Cutlass Machete.

IM at a loss. in the 1917 Cutlass am I paying for a nicer finish and sheath?

Ive not seen any real reviews on them.

Mostly a bunch of idiots chopping plastic bottles and live bamboo... or raw meat.

Anyone know of a website or something somewhere that gives a good real world test on blades like this. I cant be the only one wondering this.

Are these just wall hangers fit only for demonstration on soft material?

I have not seen the Condor version but I have a Cold Steel and if you can get one for $100, you'll be happy with it I think. Not sure they would be the most efficient machete but as a weapon, they're devastating!!!

I went ahead and bought the cold steel 1917. Mostly because I've wanted one for years, not necessarily for use in the field but because it looked cool and I didn't have a sword.

It is almost too nice looking to use for having thru the woods. Seems solid enough for the task though.

I was mildly put off about its being made in India... But I'm sure that they've turned out enough swords over the years that they know what to do.

It's not marked anywhere. Just on the certificate for the "British proof test" it indicates being from India.
Fair enough.

It's definitely a nice sword. I was able to baton some firewood/kindling with it and will see about hacking up the Xmas tree, etc sometime this week.

I'm a fan of the parang styles.

Heavier up front so it works in the Western woods in the brush really well.

I have a kukuri I love but it is more of a fighting size then woods use and too heavy for berry bushes.

I went outside and did a little landscaping with it today and was impressed.

Of course that's out of the box, time will tell how it holds up... I'll definitely take it out into the brush on my next trip

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews