JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Switzerland, land of peace, sees gun sales soar after terror attacks
GENEVA — Business at Daniel Wyss' gun shop has been brisk lately in the village of Burgdorf near Switzerland's capital of Bern.

He said the increased demand for firearms is triggered by a growing fear among the Swiss public that terrorists could attack their tranquil land at any time.

As nations around Europe tighten their gun laws after a series of terror attacks in several countries since 2015, the Swiss are bucking this trend by turning to firearms for protection.

Official statistics show that gun sales in some parts of Switzerland soared nearly 50% after last year's attacks in Paris and the March bombings in Brussels. And gun sales continue to grow since the killings in France and Germany in the past two weeks.

In Wyss' shop, "the demand for pistols, revolvers and pump-action guns rose by 30% to 50% after this month's attacks in Nice and Munich," he told USA TODAY.

Switzerland, land of peace, sees gun sales soar after terror attacks (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/26/switzerland-land-peace-sees-gun-sales-soar-after-terror-attacks/87573224/)

So we are not the only one buying guns to protect ourselves from what our president calls the so called JV team. The sad part is that we feel (even if it's just a feeling) we have to protect ourselves.

My wife and I visited her Swiss cousins in 1999. Max, the husband, was in his mid-50's at the time and a school teacher. Their son Sammi was 20 or 21. Max had a military issue bolt-action rifle in a government supplied safe, which was bolted to the floor and wall of the basement. Sammi's modern military rifle was also in there. A very small amount a ammunition was supplied with the rifles [I'd guess two magazines for each rifle] and locked in the safe. His privately owned rifles were stored separately.
For his periodic Army Reserve service, Max taught orienteering which is a popular competitive sport in Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries. As he took us different places he would point out a dirt track that led off in the wood [that road ends at a steel door in mountain], a particular stretch of road [the wider road shoulders and thicker ballast under the asphalt is because this straight stretch is a military landing strip], etc.
He didn't have any handguns but said privately owned rifles were common in their village, and most men participated in some sort of shootzenfest [they had a word for it that escapes me] each year. He said in the unlikely event of war, he knew where to go and what his assignment would be, but didn't elaborate further.

And have good chocolate and clocks. :)

And pretty red knives...

B000QGF986-victorinox-XAVT-600.jpg

On a more serious note, it is encouraging to me when I hear people are waking up to the reality that their governments simply cannot protect them from these threats, and perhaps the further reality that their governments really aren't all that worried about protecting them. Glad to hear the Swiss as well as others, such as in France, are beginning to take up arms so they can take on some personal responsibility for their own protection.

There's a retirement country I could get my head around...emigrate and find a nice Swiss miss to teach me orienteering and marksmanship Schweiz style. And a bright citizenship who realizes even their government might not be proactive enough to protect them.
I hear they have beer as well.
Prost,Switzerland!:D

Brutus Out

I was there years ago. Beautiful place.

About 46 guns per 100 people puts them in the top five.

They are allowed to keep their service guns as semi-autos after service. And I believe there shooting events are the largest in the world.

As to sig 550 series rifles? They are the nicest AK type guns made. ;)
I have one of the first 556 rifles with all Swiss internals. Bolt/carrier, trigger group, and gas block.

Last Edited:
I was there years ago. Beautiful place.

About 46 guns per 100 people puts them in the top five.

They are allowed to keep their service guns as semi-autos after service. And I believe there shooting events are the largest in the world.

I have one of the first 556 rifles with all Swiss internals. Bolt/carrier, trigger group, and gas block.
I'm so jealous. I asked a Sig vendor why it was so hard to find those, he said because its mostly a LE/Military weapon any that end up for sale on the regular market are extra's. :mad:

Being peaceful ... Dosen't mean that you are not capable or willing to defend yourself. Or even use violence.
The Swiss have shown that you can have a armed populace and still be thought of as a peaceful people.

Terrorism knows no geographic boundaries or government policy , it can strike anywhere.
Being "peaceful" as well as being armed , willing and able to defend yourself and others may be the best course one can take in life.
Andy

@Dungannon - You wrote -'For his periodic Army Reserve service, Max taught orienteering which is a popular competitive sport in Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries.'

Orienteering is popular ALL OVER European countries, especially in yUK. I hope that you are not including Switzerland in the Scandinavia countries, as many of your fellow countrymen seem to do with monotonous regularity.

The annual qualification shoot is called the 'Obligataire' and is very closely organised and documented.

Even Swiss ex-pats up to the age of 42 are required by law to comply with the national requirements, and they often shoot their obligataire in one of other of the numerous Swiss shooting clubs that are so popular in North America.

tac
www.swissrifles.com

Medic wrote -

About 46 guns per 100 people puts them in the top five. Sounds about right.

They are allowed to keep their service guns as semi-autos after service. And I believe there shooting events are the largest in the world. If you call the Thun shoot, the Eidgennossische Schuetzenfest, with around 140,000 shooters over the three weeks large, then I 'spose that you may be right.

I have one of the first 556 rifles with all Swiss internals. Bolt/carrier, trigger group, and gas block. Your bolt/carrier show different serial numbers.

tac

Medic wrote -

About 46 guns per 100 people puts them in the top five. Sounds about right.

They are allowed to keep their service guns as semi-autos after service. And I believe there shooting events are the largest in the world. If you call the Thun shoot, the Eidgennossische Schuetzenfest, with around 140,000 shooters over the three weeks large, then I 'spose that you may be right.

I have one of the first 556 rifles with all Swiss internals. Bolt/carrier, trigger group, and gas block. Your bolt/carrier show different serial numbers.

tac

Not sure they cared about numbers matching. Or even what the numbers even really mean?
And the carrier numbers are about 3700 away from the Serial number of the gun.
Maybe just a Hodgepodge of Swiss parts to use up?

Later guns were make with US parts. So I'm just glad to have the Swiss made parts.
And the gun runs well and the action is sooooo smooth! :D

Next time your in the Gorge, visiting Crown Point you can check it out.
I'm only 10 minutes from there.

That is right after you smack me up side the head for previous ''Rude'' comments I've made to you. ;)

I think you would be surprised at my little gun collection.

Back when we went looking for a replacement to the M-16/M-4 series, that Sig was one of the top contenders! I know every one that had a chance to run it fell in love with it! Why the FN was chosen is beyond me, it was no where near as nice to use. Sad day when they chose the FN ( which is still a nice weapon) just not as good as that SIG!!!

@Dungannon - I hope that you are not including Switzerland in the Scandinavia countries, as many of your fellow countrymen seem to do with monotonous regularity. www.swissrifles.com

No. "Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries" was shorthand so I wouldn't have to list them:): Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. Though all the Norwegians I've met consider Denmark a pastry and not a real Scandinavian country, and still bear a grudge against Sweden for their behavior during WWII. I think Max identified more with Scandinavians, perhaps because he was into biathlons as well.

No. "Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries" was shorthand so I wouldn't have to list them:): Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. Though all the Norwegians I've met consider Denmark a pastry and not a real Scandinavian country, and still bear a grudge against Sweden for their behavior during WWII. I think Max identified more with Scandinavians, perhaps because he was into biathlons as well.

Ah, biathlon with a PROPER rifle, not the piddling .22s and their fancy Fotner action popguns....
I did bialthlon for 13 years with the military issue sniping rifle, in our case, either the Swedish m/41a or b. or the Kongsberg arsenal sharpshooter - both in 6.5x55SE.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top