JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering swapping my Glock 23 for a Glock 37 in 45 GAP. My question is...

How hard is it to find 45 GAP in portland?

Is there a huge difference switching from 40SW to 45 GAP?

Can anyone tell me about the 45 GAP round? I know nothing about it?

All in All is it a good trade? Might I add my 23 is 2nd Gen, this is 3rd.

I also have a 1911 in 45 ACP, whats the difference between 45 ACP and 45 GAP?

I have a G38 (which I'm about to sell btw :D)

I've checked about 3 stores in Portland/Hillsboro with no luck, but I haven't really checked any walmarts or anything. I order my ammo from budsgunshop.com...they usually ship within a day and have it in stock for a little less than 50 cents a round. I usually order my ammo in bulk online though, so it's not a big deal that the stores I checked don't have it.

Ballistically, the 45ACP and 45GAP are the same. The GAP shell is just shorter.

I've been doing more target shooting lately, so I'm switching from the .45GAP to the .40S&W.

Sportsman's has had .45 GAP in stock for months... even when they were short on everything else.

I could tell you if it's like that all the time, but they sure had a bunch of it collecting dust.

I have a G38 (which I'm about to sell btw :D)

I've checked about 3 stores in Portland/Hillsboro with no luck, but I haven't really checked any walmarts or anything. I order my ammo from budsgunshop.com...they usually ship within a day and have it in stock for a little less than 50 cents a round. I usually order my ammo in bulk online though, so it's not a big deal that the stores I checked don't have it.

I've been doing more target shooting lately, so I'm switching from the .45GAP to the .40S&W.

Didnt we talk about trading?

Don't think so...I was looking for a 3rd gen (which I've since found). If you are interested in trading something else though for my G38 we can continue that convo in a pm.

As far as the reasons why I switched away from .45 GAP though:

-The G38 only holds 8+1 rounds, the G23 holds 13+1, which makes it (imo) better for carrying.
-The rounds cost more (I've never had an availability problem though)
-If I go shooting with friends and need to bum ammo off someone, they are far more likely to have .40 S&W :D

+3 on Wholesale Sports, they have what looks like a whole shelf of the 45GAP, they don't appear to be selling a lot at least not in the Orchards or 82nd St stores.

This is mostly true.

The 45GAP was born to be a shorter cartridge than 45ACP. To achieve the same velocities, with the same bullets, the pressure needed to be raised. For a cartridge and gun designed to do this, no problem (albiet, with a bit snappier recoil). It's very close to an upscaled .40S&W.

However, the 45ACP also has the ability to go to "+P" and be more powerful than 45GAP (which is already pressure limited).

Overall, this puts the .45GAP able to be used in a .40/9mm sized frame typically. The downsize, is that because the round is so much wider, the mag capacity drops significantly.

Take the full size Glocks (22 and the 37). Same size guns, 15 vs. 10 rounds. The compact Glocks (27 and 39) = 9 vs. 6.

On average, it's about a 15% mag capacity hit going from .45ACP to .45GAP, and a 33% hit going from .40S&W to .45GAP.

This is mostly true.

The 45GAP was born to be a shorter cartridge than 45ACP. To achieve the same velocities, with the same bullets, the pressure needed to be raised. For a cartridge and gun designed to do this, no problem (albiet, with a bit snappier recoil). It's very close to an upscaled .40S&W.

However, the 45ACP also has the ability to go to "+P" and be more powerful than 45GAP (which is already pressure limited).

Overall, this puts the .45GAP able to be used in a .40/9mm sized frame typically. The downsize, is that because the round is so much wider, the mag capacity drops significantly.

Take the full size Glocks (22 and the 37). Same size guns, 15 vs. 10 rounds. The compact Glocks (27 and 39) = 9 vs. 6.

On average, it's about a 15% mag capacity hit going from .45ACP to .45GAP, and a 33% hit going from .40S&W to .45GAP.

listen to this guy...

NoAim, you get a cookie.

cookie-bite-web.jpg

Well thank you.

Personally, I like the .45GAP. I don't like the guns for it. They stuck with the standard 40/9mm sized frames. If they redid the frames to widen them a bit to accommodate the .45 caliber size in the mag, they wouldn't have such a hit in mag capacity.

Well thank you.

Personally, I like the .45GAP. I don't like the guns for it. They stuck with the standard 40/9mm sized frames. If they redid the frames to widen them a bit to accommodate the .45 caliber size in the mag, they wouldn't have such a hit in mag capacity.

To me, the .45GAP is a useless calliber...the .40S&W was invented to replace the 10MM for the FBI, what does the .45GAP do? What "gap" does it actually fill? If you want .45 ACP loads in a smaller frame, why not just get .40+P?

Whatever, I'm just a dumb gun-nut.

My understanding of the "need" for the 45 GAP was Glock's attempt to put a 45 in the same sized frame as the 9mm/40 S&W which couldn't be done with 45 ACP due to the OAL. Thus, a much shorter .45 GAP cartridge with the power of a 45 ACP. Actually, I believe the 45 GAP cartridge is a touch shorter than a 9mm.

I have no argument with those who prefer .40 or 45 ACP or 40 GAP as that's a personal preference, but I do believe it will require the larger frame to accommodate the 45 ACP, at least in a Glock.

$.02

To me, the .45GAP is a useless calliber...the .40S&W was invented to replace the 10MM for the FBI, what does the .45GAP do? What "gap" does it actually fill? If you want .45 ACP loads in a smaller frame, why not just get .40+P?

Whatever, I'm just a dumb gun-nut.

.40 already operates at "+P" pressures.

Earlier today I was at Wholesale Sports on 82nd, and they had something like 8 cases of .45GAP. All ball ammo. I don't think they had any defensive loads.

As far as is it a good round? It's not a bad round, but I think it was an answer to a question that precious few people were asking.

The .40? Lol...you seen the average PSI for .357 Sig? 40,000 PSI! I've got a barrel conversion for my G-22; nevertheless, I use it SPARINGLY

Don't the .40 SW and 9mm both develop about 35,000, not counting the +P in 9mm?

I believe, maybe mistakenly, that the 357 Sig was developed to operate like the 357 mag only in an auto. I "think" the ballistics and caliber are very similar.

I "think" the sig is almost a necked down .40 with a .357 bullet in it. I "think" the sig case is a touch longer than a .40, but not much.

I'm not in the mood to check my facts much, am I? :D :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top