JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at the range yesterday testing some loads with three pistols. P226, XD9 and my newly aquired Glock.

After doing a few strings, I decided to shoot each pistol at a target one after the other to see if it had a significant impact (no pun intended) on my ability to hit the target.

The first observation, which is probably the most obvious too.....was sight picture. Because each of the guns has a different setup acquiring the sights took a slight beat longer.

The second was.....trigger feel...again, really obvious. I have a trigger job in my XD that makes it a very clean break. The P226 (Double/Sngle) and Glock have factory triggers.

The most interesting was how I was able to switch between them and not really have it affect things too much.....now...I would not have won a competition match trying this out...lets be honest. The changes do affect where you put the rounds. Overall....not bad.

Bottom line. It's great to train on the range with a single firearm, but sometimes, it's worth switching things out quickly as you never know when you might have to move from one to the other.

Great exercise. One I will repeat from time to time

Sure sure. A good man can shoot a random flintlock better than 99% of all souls shooting a vice mounted benchrest rig.
I think that you are not that good man though.
I think a gymnast focuses upon gymnastics, a PPC shooter focuses upon.. it's all about focus.
anyway, you'll never succeed trying to sell me your "rotation" snake oil mouthings.

I want to maintain proficiency with all my guns so I shoot at least 50 rounds each through 5 different guns every week, and rotate which 5 to shoot so I keep on with all of them.

Marksmanship fundamentals arent brand specific. Sight alignment, breathing and trigger control. Where you will see a difference is operating the weapon, not shooting it. Where is your slide stop? Where is your magazine release? Do you have a manual safety? Do you have a decocker? Can you run all of these things under stress and with enough speed to keep you alive? Can you clear a malfunction quickly when stressed? How different are your holsters? You get the point.

All of my pistols are either SAO, DAO, or striker fired. Same trigger pull each time. All of my CCW holsters are Safariland 6378s which operate exactly like my duty holster. All my magazine releases are on the same side. All of my sights are meprolight 3-dot tritium sights. All slide stops are in the same spot. Only the SAO guns jave safeties, but my draw encorporates a safety sweep of my thumb regardless of what gun I carry because O dont want to unlearn it.

I carry a Glock daily, I have a Sig within reach at night. Both preform equal given equal circumstances. That being said, I have to leave the house with just one? Im grabbing my Sig 226.

I can hit a pie plate at 25 yards with almost anything I pickup so the bad guy had better be awful skinny. Making tiny groups on a paper target 7 yards away won't mean nearly as much as the willingness to actually pull the trigger. Watch the "Shootist" with John Wayne for details.

I have many different hand guns.
I loved the 1911 when I was younger. But only have five today.

I carry a Glock, Glock or a Glock.
A 23 in winter. A 26 in summer. And a 43 in church!:rolleyes:

I don't sweep a safety anymore. So no 1911's under stress.
And Good, bad or indifferent. Glock's are cheep. And go bang!:s0092:

Hey. The world went Smart phones. And Glock's first! Not Me?

Last Edited:
I've preached this for a long time so not to get too accustomed to just 1 handgun. I believe in this system for rifles as well...i'd rather be pretty good with whatever is thrown in front of me instead of being great with only 1 gun.

I stay proficient with all my firearms. I want to know how to use all of them the same. I may not be a crack shot but I can assemble and disassemble in the dark.

A few yrs back at ARPC I shot a defensive handgun deal they had each month, it had 4 to 5 different challenges

I shot each with a different gun 380, 38, 9mm, and a couple of 45's officers / full size ..... it was fun!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top