JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as I recall it is legal to carry a switchblade in Oregon as long as it is single edged. It is also legal to carry a stilleto or OTF (out the front) as long as it is single edge and does not draw blood if released while holding palm against the opening. Always wanted a cop to test mine and see the resonse...LOL. :s0159:

It would seem, on its face, that Seattle's ban on large knives in public would be unconstitutional, and against state law regarding lethal weapons. As I remember the state laws, and the pre-emption clause, they include LETHAL weapons, clearly construed to include weapons besides firearms. If Seattle can't ban guns on city property (per the present Attorney General), nor can they ban other "lethal weapons", such as those two swords.

The state preemption law only applies to firearms, not knives.

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

As far as I recall it is legal to carry a switchblade in Oregon as long as it is single edged. It is also legal to carry a stilleto or OTF (out the front) as long as it is single edge and does not draw blood if released while holding palm against the opening. Always wanted a cop to test mine and see the resonse...LOL. :s0159:

Under state law, you can own or carry any kind of knife you want in Oregon, so long as it's not carried concealed on your person. But local governments can regulate them further; I don't know if any do.

Carrying a concealed switchblade is a crime in Oregon, even if you have a concealed handgun permit:

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews