JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK...I know...:eek: This is going to bring up visons of a leather jacketed, greasy haired, street corner punk. :eek: ....My son-in-law sent me a very fancy knife from Thailand. When I showed to my brother (an retired motor cop) he said you can't carry that. It's a switch blade. I said why not? I have a concealed weapons permit. His responce was, You have a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Pistol". :huh:....YUP! Thats what it says across the top, "Pistol".:s0131: Anyone got any comments?

He's right- for Washington state as far as not carrying auto knives, and the CPL does not cover over 3" blade and auto knives or other otherwise prohibited weapons in Washington.

This brings up the obviously conflicted situation that says for me to carry my 9" fixed blade knife concealed is illegal- but carrying the G21 with 13 rounds of Federal HST .45 is just fine.

:s0112:

True enough. I think though as a practical matter if someone's not making a horses' patoot out of themselves, dressed cleanly and being polite, nobody's going to know or care how his knife opens.

Just be discreet when opening it.

As far as auto knives are concerned in Washington you can’t even possess one, never mined carrying one. There is no state law on carrying a knife weather concealed are open. Some locals ( ie. Seattle ) do have restrictions on blade length.

By "auto knife" do you mean something that opens with a push button?

Capn Jack:

"This is going to bring up visons of a leather jacketed, greasy haired, street corner punk."

I'm gray and bald, my man.

but once upon a time. . .

little knife.jpg

Is this the same in Oregon?
Been wondering for a while.
Guess i ought to look it up.
Yep it is illegal. U can not carry any knife that has a spring in it. i.e. switch blade but on the other hand it is not illegal to own a switch balde or knife that is similar.

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(Portion of RCW posted earlier) .....or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

This places 90% of the knifes on the shelf of any store in the dangerous weapons category doesn't it?

Heck, I can even get some Old Timer brand knifes to open like that. This means pretty much all of the Spydercos, Kershaws, SOGs, .etc and against the law. The Gerber Gator is another example of an "illegal" knife.

Who cares?? Oh it's also illegal to light off fireworks on New Years and spit on the sidewalk :s0155:

5pins...The Seattle ordenance you talk about remends me why Seattle has this law on the books. Several years ago...in the early 90's, I remember going down town Seattle in the summer time. I remember two guys walking down the street. One of them had a real nice Samuri sword accross his back. The guy walking with him had a very large two handed Viking type sword accross his back. I remember in the news that a few people complained to the Seattle city council and told them that they felt intimidated by the two guys walking in public with swords. That is when the city passed there little ordinance. These were two very large guys also.

(Portion of RCW posted earlier) .....or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

This places 90% of the knifes on the shelf of any store in the dangerous weapons category doesn't it?

Heck, I can even get some Old Timer brand knifes to open like that. This means pretty much all of the Spydercos, Kershaws, SOGs, .etc and against the law. The Gerber Gator is another example of an "illegal" knife.

Who cares?? Oh it's also illegal to light off fireworks on New Years and spit on the sidewalk :s0155:

Ya, and you can no longer 'top of your gas tank' in Oregon! :s0112:

The muck is getting so deep, the term 'law abidding citizen' may be soon be a fondly remembered thing of the past.

Kind of funny in a cynical way. A future society where half the population is in jail and the other half work as prison guards. Humm, are we getting close?

Frog.

Can you cite the RCW section that addresses spitting on the sidewalk or lighting off fireworks on New Years (Eve I assume)? I'm willing to bet the maximum penalty isn't as great as that of a gross misdemeanor:

RCW 9A.20.021
Maximum sentences for crimes committed July 1, 1984, and after.

(1) Felony. Unless a different maximum sentence for a classified felony is specifically established by a statute of this state, no person convicted of a classified felony shall be punished by confinement or fine exceeding the following:

(a) For a class A felony, by confinement in a state correctional institution for a term of life imprisonment, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of fifty thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine;

(b) For a class B felony, by confinement in a state correctional institution for a term of ten years, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of twenty thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine;

(c) For a class C felony, by confinement in a state correctional institution for five years, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of ten thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine.

(2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

(3) Misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

(4) This section applies to only those crimes committed on or after July 1, 1984.

[2003 c 288 § 7; 2003 c 53 § 63; 1982 c 192 § 10.]

It would seem, on its face, that Seattle's ban on large knives in public would be unconstitutional, and against state law regarding lethal weapons. As I remember the state laws, and the pre-emption clause, they include LETHAL weapons, clearly construed to include weapons besides firearms. If Seattle can't ban guns on city property (per the present Attorney General), nor can they ban other "lethal weapons", such as those two swords.

That brings up another question.

Who fixes old switch blades?

I used to have two, one that said U.S. Special Forces and another Black "greaser" looking switch blade I still have the other broke and after moving a dozen times.
My black knife is the kind that you push the button and it comes straight out the top. But the spring is pretty weak. It works, but I would trust it in a knife fight.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews