JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple of weeks ago I thought someone posted a youtube video on the forum with an " alkidaH" leader making reference to the hundreds of thousands that could be killed if they decided to use somekind of chemical weapon. Does anyone know of the video Iam refering to? Iam trying to locate to send to a few people. It does seem quite relevant right now. Anyone else have any thoughts on the swine flu pandemic? Thanks. (sorry "alkidah " may be misspelled).:s0131:

Somehow I knew my military surplus N.B.C. suit and mask would come in handy someday. I wonder if I would get any weard looks if I wear it school? Classrooms are breeding grounds for germs.

Moved to "off-topic" as this isn't a gun-related political topic.

Nothing published by the CDC or WHO suggests this is any kind of terrorist attack.

I kind of feel like this is a "drums off in the distance" sort of event. It has the potential to be bad & there are cases elsewhere. WHO just raised their pandemic threat level to "5" (on a scale of 1-6). Masks are sold-out at local drug stores.

However, there are no cases (yet) in Oregon/Washington and not many people I know seem to be worried about it (mostly, because they don't watch/read the news anymore). Nothing has really changed in day-to-day life.

What preps, if any, have you all taken in regard to this? I refreshed some of my disaster supplies and bought some more face masks (even though it's not clear they provide any protection/benefit - better safe than sorry). People at work are talking about telecommuting if things get bad. Some people are still traveling to Mexico on vacation & there's discussions about whether to let them come immediately back to work when they return.

This will be nothing. As mentioned, the potential for a new influenza combination to jump species is always there. When it takes lots of lives is when there are a confluence of really three things:

1) Population with poor nutritional state/overall health
2) Poor health infrastructure to treat most serious cases
3) Populations moving that have otherwise been isolated

That is why past cases of a new virus emerging have been bad - until recently, and still in much of the world (cough, Mexico) health infrastracture is abysmal and the old, sick, and infants with poor immunity can be at risk.

Another example is the case of the 1918-1919 flu pandemic, when there were large numbers of malnourished people and also the movement of people who'd lived in rural areas and never seen many of the common pathogens (thing, farm boys from Iowa now in armies in France).

This will be a non-event when all is said and done. Keep in mind the "normal" flu that goes around kills a few hundred people every year even in the us - mainly end-stage AIDS patients, terminal cancer patients, and a few infants whose parents don't get them into the hospital fast enough. The way the media will pump this for viewer eye-balls and thus advertising money will make you think it's the black death instead of just another round of good ole' mother nature.

For those not old enough to remember we had an Swine Flu "epidemic" in the mid 70's.

If I recall correctly, they pulled the plug on that vaccination program because the vaccine was causing health problems (including deaths).

At the time, people believed that "swine flu" was the same version as the "Spanish Flu" in 1918. Although, I think subsequent research points to the 1918 flu as being "avian" in origin.

Transgenic mutation is a very real threat. In the event a new virus does mutate will make all preparations futile at best. A virus can live outside a host in bodily secretions (phlegm) for up to a week. Most deaths occur due to complications from high fever and dehydration (vomiting and diarrhea). Probably the best defense is proper hygiene, while the best chance of survival once infected is acetaminophen and antidiarrheal with plenty of fluid.

A highly probable source for transgenic mutation is through a flu vacination program. The CDC hasn't found any statistical benefit from these programs. Unless one considers quarterly dividends.

If I recall correctly, they pulled the plug on that vaccination program because the vaccine was causing health problems (including deaths).

At the time, people believed that "swine flu" was the same version as the "Spanish Flu" in 1918. Although, I think subsequent research points to the 1918 flu as being "avian" in origin.

My Grandfather died of a heart attack the same day he received the Swine Flu vaccine, coincidence? probably.

"The 2009 flu outbreak in humans is due to a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that derives in part from human influenza, avian influenza, and two separate strains of swine influenza. The origins of this new strain are unknown, and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that it has not been isolated in swine.[2] It passes with apparent ease from human to human, an ability attributed to an as-yet unidentified mutation.[3]" Keep in mind that three species are involved in this mutation.

Reports of the Flu now in Oregon in the Portland Area. If should happen to have Blazers tickets for tonights game and are affriad to use them. Please let me know! LOL!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top