Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SWFA SS scope line?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Weebs, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I'll admit I'm a Leupold guy through and through... but I'm tempted to try something new on a rifle I picked up last weekend. (IE what I want is costing way more than I can afford right now and I hate having a rifle without a scope on it!)

So anyways I started looking around at some scope reviews and started seeing these SWFA Super Sniper scopes popping up with highly regarded opinions.

Does anyone locally have one that they could give me their take on?

I'm personally looking at picking this one up.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P500.aspx

2. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

I have the same scope but in a rear-focus model on an M1A.
    It's great.
    Simple, clear, rugged, relatively inexpesive and well-tested.http://www.snipershde.com recently reviewed one of their scopes and has a video of the review. It's fluffy, but informative.
    The only issue I have had with mine (purchased used) is that the turret indexing was sloppy. Once they were re-lubed they worked great.
    Cheers,
    Jorge

3. Weebs

Any idea what caused the turret to get sloppy? Was it improper use by the original owner?

4. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

I've had one of their 10x fixed for about the last 5 years. It's a well made scope is clear and bright. The only thing about it I can comment on is that the fixed power scopes have a very narrow field of view. It's fine for shooting off a bench but too narrow for hunting. Other than that, it was 300.00 well spent.

5. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Nah, nothing that serious...the lubrication on the turret o-rings evaporated or was displaced so there was increased friction when rotating the turrets. So much so that you couldn't feel the already-light detents that well. Once it was lubed it worked fine....and has since last year.
    J

6. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Sloppy turrets are one complaint- relube and replace orings. I can't remember which o-rings they take but if you google you will find it. They are excellent scopes for the $$, at least when I reviewed them when I picked one up for my Savage:

IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg

7. Weebs

Very nice Krawl.

I actually managed to pick up a Burris XTR-312 yesterday so the SS is no long in my sight lines :)

8. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Thanks man. No experience with the Burris but heard good!!

9. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I have had mine for about 2-1/2 yrs now. Got is when i started building my Rem 700 308. I have had no complants or problems sense I got it. Looking at the current price I see its jumped about $40. I paid $379 for my 3 turret. Stock # - SS10X42M

10. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

I also have a rear focus model on a Larue SPR mount on my target AR.
    It holds zero and seems to work as it should.
    This is my only mil dot reticle scope and I love the range estimating and bullet drop compensation estimation capabilities it gives you.

Here is the view through mine at 250 yards
    the black circles are 6" diameter