JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
According to deputies, the homeowner found the intruder in the kitchen where the intruder was reportedly armed with a knife.

The homeowner (then???) retrieved a handgun and fired one round at the intruder, causing the man to run away.

What's with the retreiving a firearm after the confrontation? :rolleyes:

The homeowner should have retrieved a 12ga.
As I stated in another post, the intent of a shotgun is accuracy by volume.
Also, it would be known if the intruder was hit.:D

I usually have a .380 in my back pocket at home. If I put on sweat pants for the evening, I can reach my Smith .40 with an arm stretch or less. You are not getting in my house that easy though, the alarm would go off and there would be a 90# German Shepard attached to your balls.

Media Release: Cooper Mountain Homeowner Shoots at Intruder

On March 2, 2018, at 12:35 p.m., deputies were called to an incident that occurred in the 9300 block of Southwest 171st Avenue in the community of Cooper Mountain. During the investigation, deputies learned that an unidentified man entered the house in a possible burglary attempt and was confronted by the resident who was home at the time.

Deputies were told the resident fought with the intruder in the kitchen wherethe intruder reportedly armed himself with a knife. The resident retrieved a handgun and shot at least one round at the intruder, causing the intruder to run away.

It is not known if the intruder was struck by any bullets as he was able to flee the area and is still outstanding. At some point during the confrontation, the resident was able to take a photo of the intruder who was covering his face.

Washington County Violent Crimes Unit detectives are assisting with the investigation. The intruder is described as a white male in his 20s with a thin to medium build. He was possibly driving an older blue full-sized SUV. The resident sustained several minor injuries.

Anyone with information that can help identify the intruder in this case is asked to call Washington County detectives at (503) 846-2500.

28379563_10155634939641936_6624944279282910348_n.jpg

Cooper mountain is well outside Portland proper (about as far as you can get and still be inside suburbia), not even inside Beaverton proper. It is on the edge of the growth boundary towards Farmington and Hazeldale in Aloha.

I go back and forth on carrying at home. On the one hand, I know the police are 20 minutes away at least so it's all up to me. On the other hand, I've got two dogs each over 100lb. with very loud, intimidating barks who act as my early warning system.

We're very secluded and have on occasion had unannounced visitors who were clearly casing the joint. Thieves of opportunity, mostly. Since we both work at home, it's very rare that no one is around, and if we are gone, well, there's the dogs which we keep in the house; they are a very potent deterrent to the lazy, opportunistic criminal element.

Still, I do get the itch to carry when I don't do it for a while. Stories like the OP give me pause and make me think, "If a determined thug wanted to get in despite our dogs, I should be armed, if only to protect the big furry goofballs."

Last Edited:
My BS meter is in the red. What sane person thinks to take a picture of the bad guy in a situation like this.

Careful....new legislation might just be crafted to require a camera to photograph every time a round is fired. Like, how the Liberals wanted every fired round of ammo to have a specific ID marking.o_O

You know......do it for the kids. Just trying to be reasonable and showing my infinite common sense.

Aloha, Mark

I have LONG carried at home. It was the reason I kept one of my early Kel-Tecs. Can drop it in a pocket of my around the house sweat pants and forget it's there. Since it's safe to carry with no holster like that I kept it. Before that it was a NAA .22 for the same reason. Since the kids are long grown and gone I keep a gun laying on the table next to me while watching TV also.

I carry regardless of my location. It goes on me as soon as I get up and off when I go to bed. Every day.

I go back and forth on carrying at home. On the one hand, I know the police are 20 minutes away at least so it's all up to me. On the other hand, I've got two dogs each over 100lb. with very loud, intimidating barks who act as my early warning system.

We're very secluded and have on occasion had unannounced visitors who were clearly casing the joint. Thieves of opportunity, mostly. Since we both work at home, it's very rare that no one is around, and if we are gone, well, there's the dogs which we keep in the house; they are a very potent deterrent to the lazy, opportunistic criminal element.

Still, I do get the itch to carry when I don't do it for a while. Stories like the OP give me pause and make me think, "If a determined thug wanted to get in despite our dogs, I should be armed, if only to protect the big furry goofballs."

For the last decade or so it's not just the kind of kooks who would break in to a home without making sure no one it there. It used to be most times this happened it was some moron who "thought" the place was empty and surprised a home owner. For a long while now the problem has been drugs, kooks, and often one who checks both boxes. These zombies roam around and don't seem to care if they come in a home that has others there. Chances are great that you are never going to see one but, I don't want to have one show up in my home and then have to try to have a foot chase to the nearest gun.

A few years ago some guy broke into a dojo downtown Lake Oswego and stole a sword. Then he entered a home (perhaps unlocked, forget don't know) and when the couple returned from their morning walk, the male homeowner was hacked to death with said sword.
so yea, crazy happens

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads