JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just acquired a super clean SW 686-4 8 3/8 w/Leopold mount and 1" rings. My eyes are 65 and I wear driving glasses. I'd like to shoot this one at 50 yards or more, carry it in Eastern Oregon in old forest service roads that are non-motorized [and have in these areas hiking with my medium and large size dogs, come across both cat and wolf tracts], keep it around camp as a camp gun, and a remote chance to shoot varmits or deer. I have a Ruger Government slab side II with an Ultra Dot Mathdot II and at 50 yards the red dot is a slight blurr and it is accurate at 1.5" groups at 50 yards! I suppose I could remount the iron sights, and put aside the fine Leopold mount and rings. Any ideas what I should do--go for a scope and if so, what is recommended or go with another red dot? Thanking you in advance for your ideas.

P.s. If you recommend a scope which model ? Or red dot, which model? Thanks.

Last Edited:
For that mission, my choice would be a Leupold 2X scope.
More magnification just increases the wobble factor.
My eyes are 67 now and use red dots, but at closer ranges.

What distance is the red dot effective considering our aging eyes? What red dot are you using? And, are your red dots on revolvers? Or, semi? Thanks a lot for your help. tkdguy

I use mine out to 50 yards at various club matches.
Sight is the UltraDot Matchdot II. It has 2, 4, 6, and 8 degree dots.
The smallest one is what I normally use.
Got this after seeing a program where they visited the line at Camp Perry. Looked like 90% of the high masters were using this sight.
The little life I have left is too short to mess with poor sights.
625match.jpg

625match.jpg

The little life I have left is too short to mess with poor sights.
View attachment 73745

No comment on pistol scopes but I sure like that last line.

Shot a FAL yesterday that had a scope but on top of that was a Leopold reflex sight that had an inverted V rather that just a red dot. Now I want one of those sights. Not sure what gun I would put it on. But your comment fits why I want one. Thanks

Sorry, didn't mean to thread crap.

I have a Burris 2-7x handgun scope on my 6" 686, and it is a fantastic combination. I'm "only" 48, but sure do appreciate the magnification. From a rest, the gun is surprisingly accurate out to 100 yards. For me, I will say its a humbling experience to try and do precision shooting with it off-hand, but given a tree branch, fence post or other available rest, I find it to be a competent and potent shooter.

I have a Burris 2-7x handgun scope on my 6" 686, and it is a fantastic combination. I'm "only" 48, but sure do appreciate the magnification. From a rest, the gun is surprisingly accurate out to 100 yards. For me, I will say its a humbling experience to try and do precision shooting with it off-hand, but given a tree branch, fence post or other available rest, I find it to be a competent and potent shooter.

I had to pass on the previous 686 with the custom trigger, but picked up a 98% er with Leupold mount and ring. I just put a Nikon 2x20 EER on it and had to shim the mount to level the scope. It looks just great. Soon to go to the range. I do not have a handgun case that will fit the 8 3/8 with the scope. The Nikon scope looks very bright. FYI:
This Nikon is made in the Phillipines. Between the 686 and the scope I have a little less than 1K into this one!

Three things to consider:

1. The scope is much harder to align with the target in a tense situation, but it is more accurate when properly aligned.

2. The dot sight is easier to align in a tense situation but you need to figure out how long it will take you to turn the sight on. If you leave the sight turned on all the time, the battery may be dead when you need it most.

3. If you get one of those sights that uses fiber optics with triennium illuminators, you will be able to see the sights pretty well in just about any light, and there is no battery to go dead.

My 66 year old eyes vote for #3

Get Leupold 2X scope. I have red dots and three 2X Leupold scopes so I am very familiar with both set ups. A 686 like yours should have the Leupold scope. With a little practice alignment becomes very easy just as easy as a dot sight. If you shop on Gun Broker and have a little patience the Leupold scope can be bought at a very affordable price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top