JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently sent a letter (Okay a form letter) to Ms. Bonamici requesting her support of the proposed bill for national recognition of concealed firearms reciprocity. Here is her response, At least she had one, Senators Wyden and Merkley can't be bothered.

Bonamici_letterhead.png

February 13, 2015

Dear Mr. Burns,

Thank you for contacting me about the Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

This bill would override state concealed carry laws and require states to recognize concealed carry permits from any other state. The bill would take away the ability of locally elected governments to decide what is best for their communities based on the circumstances and preferences unique to their locations.

Many states allow concealed carry in some form, but they differ widely in their scope, implementation, and enforcement. States often have different concealed carry provisions about age restrictions, training requirements, and the exclusion of individuals convicted of certain crimes. The bill will inevitably lead to a double standard where a resident of one state is prevented from obtaining a permit for failure to meet all of their state's criteria, but a visitor with identical circumstances would be able to carry a concealed weapon in that same state. This undermines law enforcement efforts, equal application of the law, and the rights of states to regulate themselves.

Currently, any state can enter into a reciprocity agreement with any other state. The fact that states have chosen to enter into agreements with some states and not with others demonstrates that each has made conscious choices regarding which reciprocity agreements are most appropriate. The federal government should not override these decisions.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me on this important issue. If you would like to know more about my work in Congress, please sign up for my newsletter at http://bonamici.house.gov or visit my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CongresswomanBonamici.

Sincerely, Bonamicisig.jpg Suzanne Bonamici Member of Congress social-media-fb.png social-media-tw.png

Keep in mind, every time there is more government involvement, there are more rules and restrictions. Typically, reciprocity means adapting the most restrictive laws as the norm. For example, Texas requires a longer course than Oregon and a marksmanship test to practice a constitutional right. We have had no problem whatsoever with CHL holders in Oregon, so why make it an issue? Texas also forbids carry in a bar or even in the bar portion of a restaurant. Their law also enforces no gun zones. Anyone can put a sign in their window forbidding carry, and it carries the force of law.

Be careful what you wish for. Are you sure you really want more government laws and restrictions?

I think the bill says if you have a permit in your home state you are golden, period.
Some states only have one license plate on the back for cars and trucks. People from there can operate those vehicles in the states that demand two plates, front and rear, with impunity, as long as they are properly licensed according to home state rules.

It's nice to see a letter from a Congresscritter that is not just a canned "Thanks for your interest" reply.

She lays out the argument for states rights, very commendable. I support anyone who supports states rights over Federal intervention.

My question for her constituents is how many laws has she supported in her Environment and Education subcommittees that usurp states rights? Did she vote for Common Core? How about logging? If she voted for states on these and other issues then fine, good for her.

If not...........

Then do you support states rights if a particular state were to outright ban the private ownership of any firearms or ammo?

I know that's POSSIBLY a stretch, but some of those New England states are pretty DAMNED close to that in how difficult they have made it to exercise your 2A rights at all.

Of course not, do you think the Federal Government should dictate gun laws in all the states so the New Englanders can get back some of their rights? (Thats a rhetorical question.)

My point is although it was nice to see something besides a canned response I'll bet sh'e being rather hypocritical about states rights and she only is for them if it fits her agenda. But I don't know her so I could be wrong.

But then Oregon does not recognize any other state concealed carry license/permit, even if that state has stricter requirements. That kind of squashes some of her argument.

If Oregon opened up some on reciprocity, then other states may do the same in return for us.

Last Edited:
We have all heard the "treat guns like cars" argument. Well maybe that should apply to CHL the same as drivers license. not all states have the same drivers requirements yet they are good everywhere

We have all heard the "treat guns like cars" argument. Well maybe that should apply to CHL the same as drivers license. not all states have the same drivers requirements yet they are good everywhere

I looked, and looked, and looked, but nowhere in my copy of the constitution does it address a constitutional right to drive a car. Please step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself or someone else.

I would prefer it being handled at state level. If Oregon mucks it up, I ca move. If Feds muck it up we're all mucked....
Ditto like forcing Gay Marriage down our throats & Forcing States to give illegals drivers licenses and forcing Bakeries to bake a Gay Wedding Cake or go outta business or forcing an AWB 2 or forcing Gay History Studies in Middle School or Lowering the age for Parental Concent in Male on Male Marriage for NAMBLA types (Because they Vote) :eek:

I looked, and looked, and looked, but nowhere in my copy of the constitution does it address a constitutional right to drive a car. Please step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself or someone else.

I did not mean that! I was only using their ignorance to apply it to a right---why should a privledge such as driving be universal when a RIGHT is restricted under the same circumstance. Amazed that it took you so long to "look and look" for something so clear.
Please step away for awhile and learn to control your condescending posts.

thank you, I hope no one else misunderstood.

Why would the feds be kept out of enforcing your constitution rights? It is their job. The federal government SHOULD be actively preventing states from discriminating on your right to carry.

I may not always agree with you PBP, I do agree with you here. While I'm all for state's rights and keeping the Feds from being too involved, what recourse do we have, if not the Feds, if a state oversteps its own authority in violation of the US Constitution?

Well at least Suzanne had a IDEA of what the bill said, unlike most here, Anyone read it? No just sideswipe without reading, Cool, Professional too!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top