Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Suunto Watches.. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblond, Nov 2, 2014.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I have a Core coming tomorrow and I would like to hear some opinions from y'all on them. The reviews are mixed with most of the complaining about battery life.

2. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Tacoma, WA Member

You ask for opinions AFTER you purchased one....kind of late no?

3. mrblond

Kinda ;)

4. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I've never liked the looks of them. But that's just personal taste. I've been partial to Casio G-Shock.

mjbskwim likes this.
  5. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I don't know about their watches, but their dive computers are well regarded.

6. Diatribe

Diatribe Issaquah, WA Member

I have had one for a while. I had the black face and returned it because it is hard to read in a lot of lighting situations. They have good battery life and are really sturdy.

7. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Never heard of them ... but, if they're more than $20, I vote NAY.

OLDNEWBIE and mjbskwim like this.
  8. mrblond

Hell, my Hello Kitty watch cost more then $20.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well, his screen name DOES infer that he's a blonde. :rolleyes:

mjbskwim and Redcap like this.
  10. mrblond

Got it today. and it fits.. It also seems pretty complicated and twice I put it back into the box to send it back and twice I pulled it back out to muck around with it.
    The real downside I found is its hard to read but It seems I got the contrast setting to where its not to bad.
    Think i'll mess with it for a few days before I decide if I want to keep it or not.

11. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Wrist Watch, defined.

Hour hand.
    Minute hand
    Second hand.
    Wrist containment device, per spec.

:D

Does any company even Make a non electric wrist watch anymore???

That is under $1000.00 Not that I am in the market for a device that keeps time, around $1000.00, i would spend a Twenty, like Bulldog albin25 suggested (Yes SIR, DRILL SGT, SIR...) :eek:

philip,
    ..... my last watch was a Casio, self winding, bought in VietNam, 1969

12. Portaledgepete

Portaledgepete Portland, Oregon Active Member

I was a Suunto dealer when I worked at Thunder Reef Divers. Of all the dive computers that I sold I liked the Suuntos the best. I still have a couple of them. They are 9 or 10 years old and they still work perfectly after literally hundreds of dives. I don't know much about their watches or their other product lines, however if they make them to the same quality that they make their dive computers you'll be in good shape. Again I don't know about their watches, but the dive computers did function slightly differently then most of the other manufactures so there's a slight learning curve to them.

13. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Get a '40' brand 50mm black watch off Amazon for $49 - best watch ever. No crap. Just time.

14. mrblond

I am returning it. I doubt I would use many of the features and it was just a real pain to see the numbers on the screen. and to top it off, it looked like there was a scratch under the crystal.

It was a really cool watch though. The barometer worked well, it was neat to see how it changes over time as did the compass.

15. BAMCIS

FWIW, my Casio G-Shock has all those features on it. If I remember right I paid around $50 for it in the American PX in 2010 at Kandahar. Although those features have no real practical value, you're right it is kinda neat to see how it changes. Mine also has a an altimeter which is really interesting to check at different times when flying.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  16. Stomper

Which is of little to no value in a pressurized cabin. ;)

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  17. BAMCIS

I was expecting a response like this, but that's precisely why it is interesting. What do you suppose happens to the cabin pressure during a flight?

However, it is fairly accurate. The wife left our hotel room in Kona, and drove to Mauna Loa Observatory. It was fun seeing the altimeter on the watch (and GPS) go from essentially sea level to 13,500 ft.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  18. Stomper

The cabin pressure can decrease a few PSI at high altitudes, but it can't get too low or you'll have some very uncomfortable passengers as they bloat up... LOL.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  19. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

If you need an ABC watch the Suuntos are top of the line. I used one for several years off trail and even used the compass exclusively once to navigate with when my main compass broke in the field.

20. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was setting up a trade booth at the Portland Convention Center some years ago and the guy across the aisle was selling Russian made stuff.
    A really neat wrist watch with a cosmonaut and space capsule on the dial caught my eye and I asked the sales rep how much did he wanted for it.
    "$50.00 bucks to you my friend, it's a really special one of a kind military watch," he said in a heavy Russian accent.
    I picked up the watch and noticed that it wasn't working.
    He took it out of my hand and wound up the stem a couple of times, and when that didn't get it working, he banged it really hard a couple of times on the table.
    He handed it back to me and said "My friend, it's working now, no charge for the repair, $5o.00 bucks my friend."
    I told him that I didn't want to buy a watch that wasn't dependable.
    He told me that's what made it so special, I could always repair it myself.

Stomper likes this.