JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meanwhile the folks complaining about sushi stop by their local fast food outlet and consume a single meal of about 2,000 calories, a bubblegum-ton of sodium, and enough cholesterol to catapult them ever closer to heart disease. ;)

Sushi is one of the healthiest things you can eat. Just go to a reputable, Japanese establishment under the direction of a trained sushi chef.

Meanwhile the folks complaining about sushi stop by their local fast food outlet and consume a single meal of about 2,000 calories, a bubblegum-ton of sodium, and enough cholesterol to catapult them ever closer to heart disease. ;)

Sushi is one of the healthiest things you can eat. Just go to a reputable, Japanese establishment under the direction of a trained sushi chef.

Sushi isn't THAT healthy for you. Depending on what's ordered, it can contain LOTS of sodium, sugar and even mercury. Gotta order the "right" sushi to be healthy, and some of the menu options are far from that.

I've eaten at the conveyor belt places and they can be good. The trick is to order something fresh that's not riding around on the conveyor belt at the time you order.

The other trick is to watch what's being made up and placed on the belt and then just ask them for a plate.

Sushi isn't THAT healthy for you. Depending on what's ordered, it can contain LOTS of sodium, sugar and even mercury. Gotta order the "right" sushi to be healthy, and some of the menu options are far from that.

Go to a well-respected, Japanese-owned and operated establishment. Depending on your proximity, I can recommend a few places as my wife is Japanese and has the good word from the community.

I kind of shy away from raw salmon, I have seen too many caught out in the ocean with a long tapeworm. Maybe thats why the always cut the fish up in small pieces, so you only get a partial worm.
The fish is previously frozen for safety reasons. It will usually state this on the menus. This kills parasitic worms. Yes, in freshly caught fish you may very well encounter a worm or two. It's also not uncommon for the chef to remove a dead worm, if there is one. Once it's dead, it's dead though.

I work in Beaverton, please recommend! :)

In The Beav we go to Ikenohana. It's a hole in the wall nestled in between less savory establishments, but has good sushi at reasonable prices. It's also Japanese owned and operated. Just show up early for lunch as it gets slammed during lunchtime and you'll watch people enter and leave throughout your lunch due to capacity.

What? Fish from the sea are higher in sodium? Say it ain't so.
Much against popular belief, the Japanese don't eat sushi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not even every week. Not even every month. It's just a cuisine. They tend to eat lots of vegetables and other stuff like everyone else. They don't live in sushi restaurants just like Mexicans don't live in Taco Bell.
As far as sodium intake, they do like their sauces (like soy suace) which are high in sodium.

I don't eat fishbait.

If you think you need to keep up with the crowd by doing so, and then washing it down with the latest micro brew coal tar, go for it.

Just don't kiss me after you do.

But seriously, before anybody gets their man-bun in a knot, I really don't care what anybody eats. It's just not for me.:cool:

Last Edited:
I don't eat fishbait.

If you think you need to keep up with the crowd by doing so, and then washing it down with the latest micro brew coal tar, go for it.

But don't kiss me after you do.
My wife is Japanese so I'm neck deep in it. However, I first started eating raw squid when I was a kid working on charter fishing boats. Shared the same fresh cuts with the seagulls. Digging up chowder clams with your toes on the beach, prying it open with a pocket knife and eating it right there was a fond memory of growing up.
It's good to be higher up on the food chain.

Double cheeseburger for me...

I'm not into trendy, highly suspect restaurant food.

Heck, I'm not into almost any kind of restaurant food as I know too much about it...

Eat at home, that's not entirely safe either, but at least safer...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top