JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ordered Survivors through Amazon on October 4th like Rawley's recommended to get the ratings up. It came yesterday and I sat up and read it cover to cover yesterday and last night. It is a good quick read with some interesting sub-plots and several bug out and bug in scenarios.

I think the first book, Patriots, is the better of the two.

Let's see what you think when you finish the book.

The book sucked. It felt rushed, incomplete and parts didn't even feel like it was written by the same author.

Rushed and incomplete are good descriptors. I also did not like the way he defined every little acronym in the first chapter, it caused the reading to break up and not flow well. Looks like I am not alone in my disappointment.

Interesting. I'm half way through Survivors. So far, I'd say that the writing is much, much better than Patriots, and the editing, too, though there are still some editorial mistakes. This one reads more like a novel. Honestly, if I hadn't been reading Patriots as a survival handbook but as a novel, I would never have made it past the second chapter -- the writing and editing sucked that badly. So far, Survivors is more interesting with more survival stuff/plans/ recommendations that are better integrated with the story. Of course, that could all change in the second half of the book.

Interesting. I'm half way through Survivors. So far, I'd say that the writing is much, much better than Patriots, and the editing, too, though there are still some editorial mistakes. This one reads more like a novel. Honestly, if I hadn't been reading Patriots as a survival handbook but as a novel, I would never have made it past the second chapter -- the writing and editing sucked that badly. So far, Survivors is more interesting with more survival stuff/plans/ recommendations that are better integrated with the story. Of course, that could all change in the second half of the book.

Well, now I've finished. I guess that I could agree that Patriots has a more complete story. Survivors covers too many different people and doesn't have a satisfying main story and conclusion. That said, I'd still rather read Survivors over Patriots. Aside from that, as survival manuals, I'd say that Patriots covers things that a retreat group can do to help plan their home, garden, trade, and other survival needs -- bugging in, really, or maybe bugging out to a pre-staged, pre-planned location. Survivors, on the other hand, is more about people who had to flee and what you can do to survive that -- how to stock up after things start going bad, how to move on the run, how to think about where to go --, though there were certainly also scenes related to fixed locations and people prepared in advance.

I just got done with the book last night. It did feel rushed to me like many of you stated. I thought there was too many characters and places in the book, so he had to move around a lot. I wish he would of took a few of the people and places out and focused more on the main peep's in the story.

It did give some good idea's on bugging out, etc. I did enjoy "Survivors", but "Patriots" was much better read (needed better editing), but over all a good quick read with some good info.

I think I heard he's coming with another one in a few years about the two brothers from "Patriots", anyone hear that?

Well, now I've finished. I guess that I could agree that Patriots has a more complete story. Survivors covers too many different people and doesn't have a satisfying main story and conclusion. That said, I'd still rather read Survivors over Patriots. Aside from that, as survival manuals, I'd say that Patriots covers things that a retreat group can do to help plan their home, garden, trade, and other survival needs -- bugging in, really, or maybe bugging out to a pre-staged, pre-planned location. Survivors, on the other hand, is more about people who had to flee and what you can do to survive that -- how to stock up after things start going bad, how to move on the run, how to think about where to go --, though there were certainly also scenes related to fixed locations and people prepared in advance.

Have you read "one Minute After" by William Forstchen? It is a good story about life after the EMP. If you like a complete story of what people who were not really prepared might do this is a good read.

What do you think about his idea to get $20 of nickels every time you go to the bank? Stockpiling nickels a good idea or bad?
The reasoning behind it is that if hyper inflation happens, or any inflation, your nickels will increase in value as your dollars decrease. Also it would become a form of currency after paper money becomes worthless. James said that soon nickels will no longer be circulated as nickel and copper and will be made out of steel. They will become like the silver coins after the 60's when they started making them out of mixed metals.

I took out $20 in nickels the last time I went to the bank. Should I keep doing this?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top