JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I religiously get the flu shot each year* and generally avoid catching said. However, earlier in the month, our family (all four of us) came down with something that was a combination of head cold symptoms and stomach bug (e.g., both ends going). Was it "the flu"? I don't know. Our family doctor seemed to think so. Fortunately, we are over it now. Stay safe all. This is a bad flu cycle by most measurements.

* The reason why is I got a really, really bad strain of influenza in my early adulthood. Ever since then, I just get the shot. It isn't totally effective, but it is worth a few minutes time at the pharmacy.

I get flu shot every year since
becoming diabetic
having pneumonia
getting extreme URVs that just decimated me to the point where I could hardly breathe and coughing pulled some of my intercostals.

I get flu shot every year since
becoming diabetic
having pneumonia
getting extreme URVs that just decimated me to the point where I could hardly breathe and coughing pulled some of my intercostals.
I too am diabetic and have history with pneumonia. Spent Sunday night in our local ER because of another little heart attack brought on by a mild pneumonia I have right now. 100 years ago the world experienced probably the last true pandemic with the flu. I lost a great uncle that was a big strong 17 year old starting the prime of his life. My grandmother mourned him until the day she died. On another thread we are talking about dangerous encounters with wild animals. The truth is, the most dangerous encounters to humans is the smallest animal, a virus.

Last Edited:
Its' difficult for youngsters and working people to avoid the flu when they have a lot of people contact. Young friend has two kids down with the flu and she has it too. She works in a big office so by the time she gets over it the flu will be passed around a few times. She and her kids get flu shots.

The last "job" I had was in a small radio shop. Just 2-3 of us. The boss also had a gung fu school which included children's class as most martial arts schools do. So he got sick a lot. Little germ incubators and gee, mom and dad couldn't keep lil johnny home could they. Well, I couldn't get the boss to stay home either. So guess who else got sick a lot!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

It' difficult for youngstern and working people to avoid the flu when they have a lot of people contact. Young friend has two kids down with the flu and she has it too. She works in a big office so by the time she gets over it the flu will be passed around a few times. She and her kids get flu shots.
My kids that are teachers and nurses get the worst of it........then the grandkids bring it Home from school. Terrible underestimated stuff in our society. Since we solved water born illness, this has to be one of the toughest things we have to deal with as humans in the whole. We have a lot of history of epidemics starting in Asia but with travel as common as it is, doesn't take long to infect the world. The 1918 epidemic was brought to the US by soldiers returning from the WW1 battle fields, things like the flu killed many more native Americans than anything else when introduced by Europeans, our bloody civil war had many more deaths from disease than any battlefield action although some of that was water born illness and infections.

Last Edited:
I do repairs in a children's day care as a favor for a friend and the state inspector made them remove those antibacterial pump hand cleaners bottles because a kid might poison themselves or some other nonsense.
I wear latex gloves when I go there late at night, as it's a complete germ factory since the parents won't keep their sick kids at home.

In my opinion from reading about health what water side of Oregon really suffers from is vitamin deficiencies. D vitamin comes mostly from the sun and we lose a lot of sunlight. Read what lack of sun does to you then add in a flu bug...

"A lack of vitamin D may increase your risk of falling because it causes muscle weakness and pain, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Low vitamin D levels also increase risk of several diseases such as hypertension, heart failure, stroke, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes and prostate, colon and breast cancers."

I take lots of D and do really well plus your entire mood changes as you feel better. Guys in my opinion if you live in the clouds vitamin d will really help fight the flu. If you havent' read up on it you really should, it's about survival.

I religiously do not get the flu shots any more. Used to as a working RN. Every time I got the shot, (gave it too myself) I had a bad follow up reaction to the shot itself. Sosss, quit getting the shots and that good or bad habit has carried on now for years.

Yep ... there is a lot one can do. I bought up a dozen dinky portable hand sanitizers. Cheap when bought in bulk at the dollar store. Carry one in your pocket. Do not push on door push plates. Place your hand well above head level and push. Cleaner surface.

Do not shake hands. Yep. Tell them why. Usually they understand also. The liquid alcohol napalm also works to start hard to light candles. Also works with a lot used to start small campfires. Burns with a blue flame. No smoke. No smell. Stealthy and sneaky.

Use snot tissues to touch most surfaces. Place the tissue between what you touch and your hands. Then just drop the tissue. Be sure to wash your hand with the sanitizer often. Play the aseptic technique game with everything you touch. Works for me. YIkes!

Ex RN.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR