JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
More likely State Farm has done the math and concluded that CA's business environment is burdensome and tyrannical, especially toward property insurance companies that have to rebuild burned structures in ways that are more "environmentally friendly", structurally more sound and less prone to wildfire- its a losing game for many industries.

The structural steel fab shop where I work moved all of its production to Idaho from CA because of the tax and regulatory environment. Ironically, we fabbed the steel for CA's Natural Resources Headquarters- ironic because they had funding for a 600 million dollar building to protect the forests that were burning and the dams collapsing.

I suspect more companies will be fleeing the state in the near future- the situation has become untenable.
They probably want to avoid having to put "This policy may cause cancer" in their insurance policy documents.

Feeling pretty good as I don't have anything owed on my card. Went over a month now without using it. Just cash and not buying much except food. Saving my money for the crash.

Feeling pretty good as I don't have anything owed on my card. Went over a month now without using it. Just cash and not buying much except food. Saving my money for the crash.
I keep trying, but those darn deals I can't say no to keep coming up. I thought I had it cinched this month and then that gas can deal popped up.

I always pay it off every month though, but my checking account is hurting now. I will give it another try for June.

I keep trying, but those darn deals I can't say no to keep coming up. I thought I had it cinched this month and then that gas can deal popped up.

I always pay it off every month though, but my checking account is hurting now. I will give it another try for June.
I saw two handguns I would have bought if it wasn't for 114, good deals too.

If I make it until June 9th then I will have gone two months without using my card. It's difficult because I have vet bills for my dog but cash only for a while.
There is nothing wrong with using your card whenever you want to. The key issue is paying it off every month, thereby avoiding all interest payments.

I use my card all the time, to the tune of $1,000 - $3,000 on it nearly every month. But, I pay it off in full every month and never carry a balance past the end-of-cycle date. Therefore, I have not paid a cent of credit card interest since 2012. Yes, that's 2012, not 2022. So, 10+ years of interest-free use of the banks' credit.

It has nothing to do with how much money one makes. And besides, the less money one throws away on interest (which gets you absolutely nothing), the more money one has to buy stuff for oneself or others. It's really just a matter of exhibiting some spending discipline (never buy what one can't pay for in cash in a month) and understanding the concept of delayed gratification (save up the money for what one wants first, instead of swiping the Card of Financial Slavery).

And yes, I know for a fact that parts of that last sentence are going to end up in "that" thread... :rolleyes: :s0140:

Last Edited:
There is nothing wrong with using your card whenever you want to. The key issue is paying it off every month, thereby avoiding all interest payments.
My problem is that for the last year or so, I have been charging more on my CC than I have in income. So my checking account balance has been getting smaller and smaller. It is well below the point where I would have emergency cash reserves that I can access immediately. So if something happened that had to be paid within 24 hours, I would have to use my CC, and then ask my finance guy for a distribution from my IRAs and that would probably take 5-10 days.

That makes me nervous.

I do have enough income to just barely cover my non-discretionary living expenses (mortgage, food, utils, insurance, fuel), but stuff happens, so I need to STOP buying things that are discretionary!

I use my card all the time, to the tune of $1,000 - $3,000 on it nearly every month. But, I pay it off in full every month and never carry a balance past the end-of-cycle date. Therefore, I have not paid a cent of credit card interest since 2012. Yes, that's 2012, not 2022. So, 10+ years of interest-free use of the banks' credit.

It has nothing to do with how much money one makes. And besides, the less money one throws away on interest (which gets you absolutely nothing), the more money one has to buy stuff for oneself or others. It's really just a matter of exhibiting some spending discipline (never buy what one can't pay for in cash in a month) and understanding the concept of delayed gratification (save up the money for what one wants first, instead of swiping the Card of Financial Slavery).

And yes, I know for a fact that parts of that last sentence are going to end up in "that" thread... :rolleyes: :s0140:
Before I quit using it I was spending $2500+ a month but on things I needed. Car repairs, new fence etc. I always pay it off when they send the bill, never pay interest.

Just letting my account fill back up for a while. :)

Truth! Debt is how the system keeps working people docile.
The new budget deal will raise the debt by $4 trillion, debt doesn't bother the government at all because they know they can never pay it off. It's why the crash coming will be bigger than the great depression in my opinion.

Mods - "WARNING: Thread Closure Imminent" banner has been noted, and I will try to make sure this post is firearm related!
Longwalkhome - The first time I became aware of "the big crash is coming - it's right around the corner, almost upon us" was in the late 1970s when I first read Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns". He advised to not just buy a color tv and sit back and wait for the impending hyper inflation and financial ruin. Buy guns! Defensive guns, hunting/foraging guns, multiple calibers, sub-caliber chamber inserts, spare parts, magazines, ammo - you name it. Because you're going to need this stuff. Soon! Any day now. So I dutifully did that, to the best of my ability - while still leaving money for rent and beer and other necessities of life. I didn't try to cover EVERY contingency and have EVERY essential item he recommended, but still managed to blow a large chunk of every paycheck in gun stores for a lot of years before I got married. Bottom line - it's been almost 50 years and I'm STILL waiting for that big crash.

Before I quit using it I was spending $2500+ a month but on things I needed. Car repairs, new fence etc. I always pay it off when they send the bill, never pay interest.

Just letting my account fill back up for a while. :)
See, this is where I think we have a disconnect. I follow the Dave Ramsey Total Money Make-Over model that states that a credit card is for emergencies only, unless you can pay off every charge in the card's monthly cycle. If you can't pay off the statement balance every month, they you need to delay those purchases and save up for them. The Ramsey TMMO model also states that many, many things that Americans treat as emergencies are actually not. Those things should be budgeted and saved for over time. For instance, car repairs are not an emergency, as the need for maintenance is a known issue. So, those repairs are easily forecasted and should be saved for over time with a budget item.

Same with a new fence. You knew the fence was going to hell, so you could have started saving for it's replacement long before it became necessary to replace it. A car wreck with attendant hospital bills, OTOH, is a real emergency, since it is something that you could not foretell. So as I said to begin with, very few things rise to the level of a real emergency for which a credit card could be employed to pay those bills.

If you have the money saved, or the appropriate income stream, to pay off the balance every month, then none of the above would apply to you.

I disagree with everything you said. Oh, wait, I mean I AGREE with everything you said. But you left out the benefits of the cashback programs most credit cards offer. I love me some free stuff from Cabela's! :D

Oh, and I hate to think what @solv3nt is going to do with your post in "that" thread, but I'm sure he's working on it already. :s0023:

I disagree with everything you said. Oh, wait, I mean I AGREE with everything you said. But you left out the benefits of the cashback programs most credit cards offer. I love me some free stuff from Cabela's! :D
I have a Capital One card from REI that pays me back 5% on stuff from REI and other select merchants, 3% on most other retail store purchases, and 1.5% from gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, and the like. So, that's what I mean when I say I spend about $1,000- $3,000 every month on a credit card. But, I would be spending this money on (most of) these necessitates anyway, so why not grab a little chunka change in the doing? I get a cashback rebate every year from REI of between $1,000 to $1,500, which I use to piss off REI. How's that you say? Well, REI hates guns and the 2A, so I use the cashback money from them to buy guns and ammo.
Its a win-win! :s0115:
Oh, and I hate to think what @solv3nt is going to do with your post in "that" thread, but I'm sure he's working on it already. :s0023:
No doubt!!! :s0140:

Soon! Any day now.
Real soon now.
&
This time its different.

I too got involved in prepping because of his book and other articles by him and others on prepping.

I don't know if/when there will be an economic collapse of the magnitude some people are predicting, but personally, I don't think it is anywhere near the top of the list of humanity's problems that can/will cause a SHTF situation.

Just the same, being frugal, paying down/off debt, owning certain durable goods and land, being as self-reliant as possible is the best approach to any of the SHTF scenarios that I think are probable.

this is like getting a free gun every year. Or in my case, a weekend in Eugene for the wife to run the 5K/marathon double stack…

:s0005:

Mods - "WARNING: Thread Closure Imminent" banner has been noted, and I will try to make sure this post is firearm related!
Longwalkhome - The first time I became aware of "the big crash is coming - it's right around the corner, almost upon us" was in the late 1970s when I first read Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns". He advised to not just buy a color tv and sit back and wait for the impending hyper inflation and financial ruin. Buy guns! Defensive guns, hunting/foraging guns, multiple calibers, sub-caliber chamber inserts, spare parts, magazines, ammo - you name it. Because you're going to need this stuff. Soon! Any day now. So I dutifully did that, to the best of my ability - while still leaving money for rent and beer and other necessities of life. I didn't try to cover EVERY contingency and have EVERY essential item he recommended, but still managed to blow a large chunk of every paycheck in gun stores for a lot of years before I got married. Bottom line - it's been almost 50 years and I'm STILL waiting for that big crash.
Earliest printing of the Making a Fortune in Silver predicted the "Coming Crash" by R L Preston was 1973. I think he started the making money off of fear and Mel Tappan joined in about 1975. Tappan turned fear into a big money maker even putting out a news letter. The survivalist movement started about then and many joined it. Tappan died in about 82 and the next man of note is James Wesly Rawles who is the best prepper of note these days.

It's my opinion the country has crashed and those that studied the books and bought the goods will do better than those that didn't. A crash isn't like Burger King, you don't get it your way. :D The crash will continue, just hang around and watch.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews