JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is causing me to think thru more things. I should build a smoke house and learn how to use it. I guess most meat could be preserved by smoking. Maybe long enough to use it up.
Who knows what all will be lacking. If trucks stop delivering food and goods everything will run out. Probably truck hijacking will happen if there are too few running.

Some people think life will be all Mad Max. I have the opinion it will be more old west, ie you ride with outlaws then you suffer the same fate.You won't steal cattle you will work for it or get hung from a tree. You tresspass and you will be shot period. If you can't work or barter then you just have to go without.

jj

I dunno, depends on how hard of a collapse happens. I think it would go through multiple stages, what it settles into in the long term is hard to say, even the old west had some pretty major infrastructure and legal system holdings it all together. Hopefully it would be more along the lines of Russia where things got a bit rough for a decade with some states splintering off but eventually recovering somewhat intact.

I dunno, depends on how hard of a collapse happens. I think it would go through multiple stages, what it settles into in the long term is hard to say, even the old west had some pretty major infrastructure and legal system holdings it all together. Hopefully it would be more along the lines of Russia where things got a bit rough for a decade with some states splintering off but eventually recovering somewhat intact.

The old west was pure local justice, quick and simple. It's how the west was won.

jj

Some people think life will be all Mad Max. I have the opinion it will be more old west, ie you ride with outlaws then you suffer the same fate.You won't steal cattle you will work for it or get hung from a tree. You tresspass and you will be shot period. If you can't work or barter then you just have to go without.

jj

This.

People that plan on taking from others when the world ends, will only be alive for a couple days.

Well, I must say I am impressed. I started this thread this morning, and figured it would be locked by now. Everyone has stayed very civil. After reading through the posts, I find that some people seem to be worried about semantics. If you are worried about the definitions of looting and poaching, then you are not prepared well enough and need to examine your lifestyle.

I think that the wild west analogy is very appropriate. If you steal from me or from someone else, you better be prepared for the consequences...

What concerns me more than anything in a so called SHTF situation is those who live completely oblivious to any eventualities, are completely unprepared (and have never even considered such), lived in urban, or sub-urban all their lives, lived, and earned a living as pure products of the capitalistic system with NO thought past 12 noon on any given day. I believe these people probably make up the greater % of the total. While we, as a forum community are probably for the most part the minority in this consideration, we are at least somewhat prepared, in the process of becoming better prepared or have a pragmatic understanding considering the possibilities. How would we deal with those I have described?

If you are worried about the definitions of looting and poaching, then you are not prepared well enough and need to examine your lifestyle.
Please don't misconstrue my observations to mean that I am not comfortable with my own definitions....There's not much game in my small town.....and the farmers around here are my friends...

Consider this; Absentee landlordism in post meltdown Central OR...If there is little chance that the rich Californians (I'm just pickin' a group) will ever return to the ranches and ranchettes that they've purchased....Who "owns" those assets?

Please don't misconstrue my observations to mean that I am not comfortable with my own definitions....There's not much game in my small town.....and the farmers around here are my friends...

Consider this; Absentee landlordism in post meltdown Central OR...If there is little chance that the rich Californians (I'm just pickin' a group) will ever return to the ranches and ranchettes that they've purchased....Who "owns" those assets?

You will find out when you walk on their property:s0112::s0112:probably won't know what they shot you with though:s0114::s0114:. Stealing is stealing the neighbors will hunt you down over there. How you going to barter with a neighbor when he knows you don't belong in the place?

jj

You will find out when you walk on their property, probably won't know what they shot you with though. Stealing is stealing the neighbors will hunt you down over there. How you going to barter with a neighbor when he knows you don't belong in the place?
Yup...and the same in my neighborhood.....so the refugee camps are gonna hafta be on public property..away from established communities...and not in my back yard:s0114:

I don't mean any offense to you wheeler. But the farms in central oregon are still owned by oregonians as well as californians smart enough to escape from behind enemy lines. There are plenty of absentee vacation homes in Bend proper, but when you get outside the city, people live there, and would probably not take too kindly to intruders.

People are better off just properly preparing. Then you shouldn't need to poach or loot, by whatever definition...

People are better off just properly preparing. Then you shouldn't need to poach or loot, by whatever definition...
Yup...that way, if they're not made refugees by whatever force created imbalance, they can help out the refugees as much as they are able..

Where I live, small game would supplement supplies for near to mid-term emergencies....I guess I'd hafta barter or take on livestock again (shudder) if I wanted to keep eatin' meat..

But life isnt that black and white.

Scenario:
A 14 year old living in downtown Seattle survives a major earthquake but both parents are killed, a gas leak burns the house down the kid is left with no resources. Does the kid have a moral obligation to starve even though they personally never had the resources to prepare? Or are we going to hang a 14 year old for taking a bag of chips from a pile of rubble that was once a Safeway?
:D -- I love debate.

But life isnt that black and white.

Scenario:
A 14 year old living in downtown Seattle survives a major earthquake but both parents are killed, a gas leak burns the house down the kid is left with no resources. Does the kid have a moral obligation to starve even though they personally never had the resources to prepare? Or are we going to hang a 14 year old for taking a bag of chips from a pile of rubble that was once a Safeway?
:D -- I love debate.

But re-read my original post. That is a different circumstance. I am speaking more directly of adults poaching livestock, looting from standing stores and other things people have recently been talking about doing in several other threads. There are exceptions to every rule. But if the circumstances arrive, all that I'm saying, is that you better think hard if you're an exception or likely to get shot...

Recently on some forum a poster stated that all you needed for disaster preparation was a 22 pistol. With that you could get anything else you wanted.

I hope he doesn't live in my neighborhood.

Bruce

Recently on some forum a poster stated that all you needed for disaster preparation was a 22 pistol. With that you could get anything else you wanted.

I hope he doesn't live in my neighborhood.

Bruce

Not to worry, thinking like his will get him killed and his family left to starve.

jj

I am speaking more directly of adults poaching livestock, looting from standing stores and other things people have recently been talking about doing in several other threads.
As so many involved in this sport (shooting) say; "you'll react like you train" or some such.....

Those that have been training to steal and loot in "practice"....will steal and loot in an emergency......

Folks whose "practice" has been to line up for a handout.....will congregate at the Rose Garden or Safeco field with their hands out...

Those folks whose practice is to produce something and to look over their families and neighborhoods ....Will continue to do the same...

If the layers of society and civilization come undone like an onion on a compost heap.....Folks will react how they train....

How fast and how completely the onion decomposes only affects the "difficulty" folks will have putting their past training to current "practice"...
There are exceptions to every rule. But if the circumstances arrive, all that I'm saying, is that you better think hard if you're an exception
I honestly think that the biggest wave of "refugees" will be headin' down town with their hands out...

Another wave will "bug out".... kinda like some folks do to Alaska these days...Lots of hardware, but a shortage of "collective wisdom"......Some of those will learn fast... others will die of thirst in a rain forest....

Folks that're "Bugged in" will only become refugees if disaster strikes them directly......Those folks most likely have some resource to take with 'em..or a skillset to trade when they get there.....

I expect that whatever level the law has settled at...most folks will know that level and act accordingly....Thieves and looters will operate covertly.......Folks that have resource and assets to watch over, will do so with vigilance.

Same as it ever was.....same as it ever was.....

W44

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads