JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9 Americans were murdered in Afganistan and they were not armed by government regulation

Fox News: 9 Americans killed by Afghan were NOT allowed to have loaded weapons!

If the president won't allow our troops armed in a war zone then what does the future hold here? The Afghan Pilot that murdered our people seemed to be able to get a gun though.

How will you survive such government stupidity?

jj

This same kind of thing happened during world war two in the south pacific. We had disarmed some troops because they were going to ship out the next day and they thought the island was secure. The Japs attacked that night and killed several unarmed troops. You would think in an active war zone troops would be armed. But then when you have bleeding heart bed wetting liberal politicians running a war this kind of thing is going to happen.

Somebody I knew who was in Vietnam during the war told me at certain times they could carry weapons but were not allowed to have ammo. City patrol/security duty or something. I suppose the current policies are a continuation of the policies that lead to the incredible success we had in Vietnam.

I am not allowed to have a firearm. Outside of my very first contract in Iraq, I was not allowed there either. Only some Federal employees (GS) and people who work for licensed security contractors are allowed to have firearms, even though as support and logistics civilians attached to the military effort, we are lawful combatants and therefore legal targets.

The forum in the OP is making assumptions that aren't quite right. It is not RoE that tell soldiers not to load their weapons inside the FOB, it is safety practices. I think it is a stupid and short-sighted supposed "safety" practice, but it's not designed to keep you from engaging the enemy. In Afghanistan, there are as many people on base with magazines inserted as not, from my personal observation. In Iraq, people were clearing weapons 20, 30 times a day, every time they went through a checkpoint, internal or external (on the way in). It contributed to some negligent discharges. At the Camp I am currently at, the Marines are clearing their weapons every time they enter the DFAC.

All uniformed personnel are required to have their firearm and ammunition with them at all times. Most of the people who got shot the other day, were civilians.

Again, this is because the military leadership thinks we will all be safer with unloaded weapons, not because they are not allowed to engage the enemy. These people are carrying firearms all day everywhere they go- mostly long arms. Leadership is afraid of negligent discharges when M4s get dropped on the DFAC floor, or propped against a chair. There is literally no way to keep all of these firearms neatly organized all the time. The DFAC tables are all pushed together and there are no firearms racks that you could put your rifle in. It would take one at every table and firearms would still get mixed up or misplaced or stolen.

I don't agree with the policy of having people empty their firearm every time, nor do I agree with keeping the civilians disarmed. But what we have is a populace that has largely become unused to handling firearms on a daily basis, including most military folks. Many of them qualify with their firearm once a year or less, checking it out and into the armory on that day for the practice and qualification round, never see it at any other time, and most of them don't own personal firearms because the regulations for posessing one on base and in the various states make it so difficult. I do understand the concerns behind the policy, I just disagree with the solution.

I am not allowed to have a firearm. Outside of my very first contract in Iraq, I was not allowed there either. Only some Federal employees (GS) and people who work for licensed security contractors are allowed to have firearms, even though as support and logistics civilians attached to the military effort, we are lawful combatants and therefore legal targets.

The forum in the OP is making assumptions that aren't quite right. It is not RoE that tell soldiers not to load their weapons inside the FOB, it is safety practices. I think it is a stupid and short-sighted supposed "safety" practice, but it's not designed to keep you from engaging the enemy. In Afghanistan, there are as many people on base with magazines inserted as not, from my personal observation. In Iraq, people were clearing weapons 20, 30 times a day, every time they went through a checkpoint, internal or external (on the way in). It contributed to some negligent discharges. At the Camp I am currently at, the Marines are clearing their weapons every time they enter the DFAC.

All uniformed personnel are required to have their firearm and ammunition with them at all times. Most of the people who got shot the other day, were civilians.

Again, this is because the military leadership thinks we will all be safer with unloaded weapons, not because they are not allowed to engage the enemy. These people are carrying firearms all day everywhere they go- mostly long arms. Leadership is afraid of negligent discharges when M4s get dropped on the DFAC floor, or propped against a chair. There is literally no way to keep all of these firearms neatly organized all the time. The DFAC tables are all pushed together and there are no firearms racks that you could put your rifle in. It would take one at every table and firearms would still get mixed up or misplaced or stolen.

I don't agree with the policy of having people empty their firearm every time, nor do I agree with keeping the civilians disarmed. But what we have is a populace that has largely become unused to handling firearms on a daily basis, including most military folks. Many of them qualify with their firearm once a year or less, checking it out and into the armory on that day for the practice and qualification round, never see it at any other time, and most of them don't own personal firearms because the regulations for posessing one on base and in the various states make it so difficult. I do understand the concerns behind the policy, I just disagree with the solution.

Thank you for your service. I pray that when the guys above you retire, cooler heads will prevail. It saddens me that there are alot of Americans, in the military or not, that do not see fit to own or know how to handle firearms. I think it should be taught right along side reading and writing.........

Thank you for your service. I pray that when the guys above you retire, cooler heads will prevail. It saddens me that there are alot of Americans, in the military or not, that do not see fit to own or know how to handle firearms. I think it should be taught right along side reading and writing.........

It would be nice if they taught reading and writing too...

And American History.

And the Constitution.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews