JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good friend and I have been planning a three day weekend trip up the mountain near Timothy Lake in the MT Hood National Forest since the end of last year. We've been raiding all the local sporting goods and surplus stores for all the things we didnt have, and counting the days down until the snow cleared up past around 5000 feet so we could get into our area.

We want to only pack the basics, and spend the weekend hunting small game and fishing, and only eating what we kill. We'll make camp at night, and move during the day, and try to hone our outdoor survival skills.

Yesterday, we finally were able to get into and scout the area we will be going, after fighting spotty snow and cutting logs out of the road. Hopefully we'll be getting up there within the next few weeks to do the survival weekend, and I wanted to start a thread that I could come back to and let you all know how it went and maybe post some pics. Im going to try and hone old skills, and put newly learned ones to use for the first time, it should be a blast!!

:s0155: I've been wanting/planning to do this sort of thing as well. I used to do it with my buddies growing up as a spur of the moment thing but now looking back it would have been better with a tad bit of planning/preperation. I guess we all survived but if something would have gone south who knows, we were just kids. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks bt97006! Yeah, I used to do similar things when I was younger also, but never really with the preparation and good gear. My buddy and I have been lucky to find some really great stuff at the local Army Surplus store, but it takes going in there every other day and checking because it goes fast! I will give a full report of how it went when we get back and like I said Ill be bringing my camera, so Ill post pics as well.

We want to do this for a while, and eventually work up to doing the Timberline Trail, and maybe even try summiting MT Hood!

spend the weekend hunting small game and fishing

Small game like rabbits and tree sharks (squirrels)? Bringing the (suppressed) .22?

We want to do this for a while, and eventually work up to doing the Timberline Trail, and maybe even try summiting MT Hood!

I've taken the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood... it was a good hike. With all the storm damage from the past couple years the trail isn't as easy as it once was -- which adds to the fun :s0155:

I probably don't need to write this, as I'm sure you have a ton more common sense than most out there, but I just want to say that one should definitely separate and differentiate the "survival" weekend from a planned mountaineering trip to summit Mt. Hood.

Preparation for these two activities, (equipment, training, physical and mental) are very different and a survival weekend on the mountain shouldn't ever turn into a summit attempt on the spur of the moment.
I guess it really could become a survival weekend!

Small game like rabbits and tree sharks (squirrels)? Bringing the (suppressed) .22?

I've taken the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood... it was a good hike. With all the storm damage from the past couple years the trail isn't as easy as it once was -- which adds to the fun :s0155:

Yeah, the menu will be squirrels, chipmonks, rabbits, bugs, plants, and fish, depending on what presents itself. Dont have a suppressed .22 yet, but its on the to do list. Unless I find something else to replace it, right now Im just bringing my old Ruger 10/22 with some HP's and bird shot, and of course I'll have the trusty GI 1911 on my hip.

I figured there would be some downed trees and whatnot on the Timberline Trail, is it pretty bad though? Just like you said, it would make it funner for me!

I probably don't need to write this, as I'm sure you have a ton more common sense than most out there, but I just want to say that one should definitely separate and differentiate the "survival" weekend from a planned mountaineering trip to summit Mt. Hood.

Preparation for these two activities, (equipment, training, physical and mental) are very different and a survival weekend on the mountain shouldn't ever turn into a summit attempt on the spur of the moment.
I guess it really could become a survival weekend!

Yeah, Im not tackling the Timberline Trail yet, I dont think I could get away from my life long enough to do it right now. No, I always keep to the map and the plan for any trip into the wild, and wouldnt add the Timberline Trail to it unless it was planned. Your right, gotta get into hiking shape for that one, plus change the gear around a bit. The summit trip will require all sorts of different gear and prep, crampons, rope, ice axe, ect, that ones a ways off right now.

I figured there would be some downed trees and whatnot on the Timberline Trail, is it pretty bad though? Just like you said, it would make it funner for me!

I haven't been out after this past storm, but last year (or was it the year before?) there was a huge wipeout around the Elliot Glacier part of the trail --- big parts of the trail missing. The USFS does a okay job at marking new trails to take... but it can be a bit sketchy at times.

Since I don't hunt (yet) I don't know the rules, but would like to know... what are the rules about shooting in the national forest? Seems like the area around Timothy Lake is all national forest -- discharging a firearm is okay there? I tried navigating the USFS Mount Hood National Forest website and if there is any info on there about that subject I can't find it...

Obviously you wouldn't be doing it (and talking about it online) if it weren't okay :)

You cant shoot anything that the ODFW regulates unless you have a license and a tag and it is the season for whatever animal your hunting(ie. deer elk, bear, cougar). ODFW dosent regulate squirrels, rabbits, chipmonks, snakes, yotes, but you do have to have a valid hunting license on your person to be legal. Within any National Forests, you can hunt any small unregulated critters including crows with just a hunting license, no tag required.

it's funny you should post this.
I am doing the same thing a couple days from now. I have a lot of backpacking/mountaineering/outdoors experience, so I am doing my trip a little differently. I spent a little time looking for an appropriate area around my house/town, and I am going to have a friend drop me off 26 miles up in the Coast Range. I am taking a pocket knife, compass, lighter, and a water bottle, and I am going to walk home. I know the area real well, and I know what to expect to a certain degree, but there is still a certain amount of trepidation. Anyway, I have my route laid out, my check-in time established, and now the optimal weather is here. I look forward to it.

it's funny you should post this.
I am doing the same thing a couple days from now. I have a lot of backpacking/mountaineering/outdoors experience, so I am doing my trip a little differently. I spent a little time looking for an appropriate area around my house/town, and I am going to have a friend drop me off 26 miles up in the Coast Range. I am taking a pocket knife, compass, lighter, and a water bottle, and I am going to walk home. I know the area real well, and I know what to expect to a certain degree, but there is still a certain amount of trepidation. Anyway, I have my route laid out, my check-in time established, and now the optimal weather is here. I look forward to it.

Now that sounds like more of an adventure. Take your time and don't rush it!
Can you add a camera to your list and a notebook so you can document your activities for us?

I should mention, I periodically take "feral weekends" on the beach. i am an avid surfer, and there's a few spots where a person can park their truck, camp inexpensively, and walk to salt water fishing, crabbing, and surfing... not to mention diving, kayaking, and snorkeling.
i always attempt to eat only crab, fish, seaweed, and mussels (that I've harvested) for a few days, but the call of the Mocha is strong.... not to mention bear-claws...

Speelyei~ Sweet bro, definately let us know how it goes. Sounds like your going a little more minimal than my buddy and I are, but thats going to be better off for you as your going to be moving the whole time, and walking back home. Our plan is to just move and camp around a big specific area, and the truck will be up there the whole time a few miles away.
Ive thought before about doing a trip like what your doing, I probably will at some point. Like I said, definately let us know how it went when you get back, have fun and be safe! ~tree

You cant shoot anything that the ODFW regulates unless you have a license and a tag and it is the season for whatever animal your hunting(ie. deer elk, bear, cougar). ODFW dosent regulate squirrels, rabbits, chipmonks, snakes, yotes, but you do have to have a valid hunting license on your person to be legal. Within any National Forests, you can hunt any small unregulated critters including crows with just a hunting license, no tag required.

I would just add to make sure you aren't in a protected wilderness area, there is at least one that I know of in Hood National Forest, but I think Timothy isn't close to it

I'm planning to do the Timberline Loop later this summer with a few friends. Shooting for three days. I'm planning on using the trip to get my BOB firm, knowing what i will and won't need for 72 hours.

Well guys, it looks like I'll be heading out for this on friday. Ive already got my gear packed and Im chomping at the bit to get out there! I'll keep you all posted!!

A good friend and I have been planning a three day weekend trip up the mountain near Timothy Lake in the MT Hood National Forest since the end of last year. We've been raiding all the local sporting goods and surplus stores for all the things we didnt have, and counting the days down until the snow cleared up past around 5000 feet so we could get into our area.

We want to only pack the basics, and spend the weekend hunting small game and fishing, and only eating what we kill. We'll make camp at night, and move during the day, and try to hone our outdoor survival skills.

Very cool. I was in a Search and Rescue group years ago, and we did a 4 day survival trip / contest every year. Several teams went out, and competed on morale, techniques, etc. The kicker was that each person could only pack along 4 oz of food : ) -- A lot of fun. I'm envious!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top