JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have quick reflexes, a good fixed blade will be better than the Katana.

One of the guys I train with got attacked by a big cat. His pictures prove that when the cat got ontop of him, he slammed a fixed blade SOG into the cats neck. Took a few scratches and bruises, but no big deal.

In that instance, you get ONE swing with a Katana/Bat. If you miss, you're on the ground. And neither of those weapons will help you in that close of quarters. :(

If you have quick reflexes, a good fixed blade will be better than the Katana.

One of the guys I train with got attacked by a big cat. His pictures prove that when the cat got ontop of him, he slammed a fixed blade SOG into the cats neck. Took a few scratches and bruises, but no big deal.

In that instance, you get ONE swing with a Katana/Bat. If you miss, you're on the ground. And neither of those weapons will help you in that close of quarters. :(

That's true, but he asked if you were to choose between a bat or a katana? So out of the two I would opt for the katana. In the real world, I would also carry a cold steel fixed tactical knife for backup.

Which brand is rated the best among portable water filters? I'm looking at getting another filter. Right now I have 2 msr water filter and a sawyer water purifier kit.

Something to ponder when you are thinking of getting out of the big city and heading to the small towns when SHTF, if you have no where to go you are a refugee and if you are armed well, you are an armed refugee. Small town farmers do not like either and think like everybody here they just do not spend hours on the net telling the world what they are going to do when the time comes. I don't think alot of people here on this site may not like their opinions on refugee's invading their land.

Make friends ahead of time.

SF-

Something to ponder when you are thinking of getting out of the big city and heading to the small towns when SHTF, if you have no where to go you are a refugee and if you are armed well, you are an armed refugee. Small town farmers do not like either and think like everybody here they just do not spend hours on the net telling the world what they are going to do when the time comes. I don't think alot of people here on this site may not like their opinions on refugee's invading their land.

Make friends ahead of time.

SF-

:s0155::s0155: maybe you can offer to help with some chores around the farm.

:s0155::s0155: maybe you can offer to help with some chores around the farm.

Maybe one can. Maybe one can already have room there that is currently a "storage" room. Maybe over half the stuff in it is somebody you know. Maybe chores are only part of the trade off for 'vacationing' ;) You know how family friends are that one may have known for over 24 years.

SF-

I'm all for making friends with people who could come together in a common location. I have been talking to some of the people on this thread about how we could work together on plans and assistance should things get dire. Trust and mutual goals would be key. I would think that people who do have a sufficient amount of farm-able land would welcome people with specific skills and capabilities to help them protect their families & thrive during any disruptive changes. While I'm currently a city dweller, I'm looking for ways to get into a more rural setting with strong sense of community, where people would be open to this.

don't forget to bring an extra tank of gas. Motorcycles tend to have small gas tanks and require frequent fill-ups. I would go with getting a mule, they can carry many things and require little maintenance. ;)

I'll be taking my pack goats, easier to take care of and as supplies get low you can eat them one at a time ( more bite size :s0114:)

Full grown goats 50-60lbs or 1/4 to 1/3 body weight. They follow like dogs with no lead, browse like deer, and want to sleep near you.
Bottle raised they think there people.:s0114:

In any emergancy situation, i would be more worried about getting home. So looking at the majority of portlanders i think having a well designed "Get Home Bag" is the best thing. Because all of them will become mindless, paniced, violent, better know as "vegan zombies"
Now what the GHB would contain is all based on how far from work you are and how much you can carry.
I think a main idea of a GHB is it being able to hold all the necassary equipment "that encludes your guns" but i think it should allow an individual to blend in with the populace, so that you do not become a target.
So when i here about people saying that they would be carrying tons of gear i picture someone that looks close to a US marine in full combat gear.
Being able to move quickly and efficently to home is top priority.

There are 2 essential items that I feel all people should own.
I believe that everybody should obtain a few wind-up fashlights. They are inexpensive. I think I paid less that $10 for mine and I have used it for years. Although not extrememly bright, it serves for all general use. I keep one beside my bed at all times. It has never failed me. I bought it from Bi-Mart.
The second item is a wind up radio. I have a Freeplay. I have had it for at least 15 years. This was not a cheap product. It works wonderfully. Every time the lights have gone out I have gotten it and played it until the electricity came back on. It is really a comfort to be able to hear that the world is still there. I have seen lower priced products available but have no experience with them. My wife purchased this radio at GI Joes, which is, unfortunately (SOB!), no longer with us. I think you can still get them from the CCrane company (www.ccrane.com).

Just for me, if the SHTF, I wouldn't plan on heading into the country and expecting a welcome from country folks. The vast majority of our population lives in cities and rural folks can't begin to accommodate those people. Chances are that they have just enough food for themselves. That doesn't even start to address the issue of a lack of trust of strangers in a critical situation.

You may find rural roads, even good paved roads blocked by the residents. Several large pieces of farm or excavation equipment can easily do that. You may find armed neighbors taking turns guarding those spots.

Our rural road has only two entrances - it's a loop. Although paved, it's narrow and winding and the terrain is wooded. Several of my neighbors and I have already planned to block both ends and take turns hiding in the woods to guard the road. The only people getting in would be residents or family of residents. This is similar to what happens when there is a fire and forced evacuation. When they let folks back in, they have to pass a check point and prove they live there.

Strangers will be seen as a threat - someone to take what we need for our own survival. Those who choose to live in a city are going to need their own plan, if it ever comes to that.

$.02

Gunner-

Well written words. Nothing threatening about your words just a matter of fact. For the most part people are good, but when faced with tragic events you don't know what these people (now refugees) are capable of.

I for one made a big mistake for having moved to he big city/metro area and am trying to figure out how to sell in today's market and move closer to home (mid-willamete valley).

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads