JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are we seriously taking about zombies here? I mean on the list of possible doomsday scenerios, I have to imagine that zombies would be pretty close to the bottom, if it even scored on list at all. I am a huge zombie movie fan, dont get me wrong, I probably have just about every zombie movie that was ever worth watching. Last time I counted I had about forty zombie movies. But the reality is that the chances of something like that happening is zero to none. If the topic of zombies was just used as an example, please forgive me, I just needed to clarify that a little bit.

Back to the topic, I agree that the most important thing you can do to prepair yourself for any situation is having a plan. And making sure your involved family and friends know exactly what their roles are. Next would be gathering supplies and learning to use those supplies.

All the preparation in the world though, cant ready you for the actual time whatever happens, happens. There will be tons of things you wernt ready for, and things you didnt expect. Thats why you have to be able to think on your toes, and improvise.

Buy a waterproof tube and bury something in the desert. And on another note it was "Katrina", not "Catrina."

If you decide to bury your cache, make sure to bury some old pipes on top of that, to throw people off using metal detectors. To make it even harder, disassemble your guns and bury it in several locations. Just make sure you remember where you bury your stuff. On that note...I'm making a trip out to the desert this weekend :drink::drink:

people are ASSUMING that they could drive out of here. yeh right. it will depend on what disaster happens. major earthquake, maybe but i bet alot of the bridges would be down and then the ones that are still standing, you have to ask yourself, "are they still safe" and then what about aftershocks. with all of the trees around here and along some of the freeways/highways, im sure therer will be downed trees, light poles and telepohone poles.

even if the roads were still clear, look at the major roads out of PDX, not alot and i will guarantee you there will be gridlock since alot of those people wont have been prepared and will have partially full gas tanks and/or clunkers or cars w/problems.

if it was me, i would have a motor cycle pref a off road bike and with definately run flat or filled tires. and then have a couple saddle bags and maybe a back pack.

Great book, but i've always wondered what happened to the characters unmentioned parents and or siblings throughout the whole ordeal. It just seems like in real life there'd be more of a conflict between wanting to help your blood-ties or leaving them to their own wyrds and sticking to the plan.

I agree. The book had plenty of drawbacks (the thread about the 2 brothers that just... petered out, book seemed a bit preachy, and it was a bit idealistic about the interpersonal relationships). But if you take it as some thoughts on how to prepare, and one guy's vision as to what could happen, it can stimulate some good discussion. It got me thinking a lot more about the potential scenarios. Also, while some might view the UN type conflict as a bit paranoid, I expect government, whether our own or outside, would want to "restore order" and force people to their will. That would include the confiscation of arms, and possibly things such as detention camps (as pointed out in other threads with FEMA).

people are ASSUMING that they could drive out of here. yeh right. it will depend on what disaster happens. major earthquake, maybe but i bet alot of the bridges would be down and then the ones that are still standing, you have to ask yourself, "are they still safe" and then what about aftershocks. with all of the trees around here and along some of the freeways/highways, im sure therer will be downed trees, light poles and telepohone poles.

even if the roads were still clear, look at the major roads out of PDX, not alot and i will guarantee you there will be gridlock since alot of those people wont have been prepared and will have partially full gas tanks and/or clunkers or cars w/problems.

if it was me, i would have a motor cycle pref a off road bike and with definately run flat or filled tires. and then have a couple saddle bags and maybe a back pack.

don't forget to bring an extra tank of gas. Motorcycles tend to have small gas tanks and require frequent fill-ups. I would go with getting a mule, they can carry many things and require little maintenance. ;)

Oh Im sure Obama will swoop in and give Cali 30 billion of our money to save them, the fed gov wont let Cali slip into the dark depths while their printing money for bailout like candy on Halloween. The real worries lie in Washington, North Korea, China, and the Middle East. Thats where things will collapse IMHO. All we need is for one major catastrophy to go down, like the collapse of the dollar, NBC terrorist attack on US soil, ect. and we'll see the fed gov scrambling for martial law, and then the bubblegum will really hit the fan.

How true. That's why when FEMA or any gov't agency tells you what to do, think twice and do the opposite. Could save your life and the ones you care about.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget to bring an extra tank of gas. Motorcycles tend to have small gas tanks and require frequent fill-ups. I would go with getting a mule, they can carry many things and require little maintenance. ;)

+1

the only thing, is keeping livestock in the city. i would rather have a couple good horses. i could have them outside the city, but then the issue is still getting there.

With the cost of everything going up (gas, food, AMMO & Guns, etc...), I think it's wise to start preparing before its too late. Don't forget to get some MREs.

just ordered a dozen #10can of dried whole eggs to add to my food store. That equates to 96 dozen eggs. :s0155:

I have one of those costco dooms day bucket with a years worth of MRE and these tablets that can clean water. A gang of cans of food, even whole chicken and of course plenty of ammo. If it never comes around, I have a camping trip to plan.

Ive got a couple of good book reccomendations as well, including the SAS Survival Guide I mentioned earlier.

First is one I used to read when I was a kid running in the back country so I knew which plants to stay away from: Nature Bound Pocket Field Guide--Its a small book, a little smaller than a mouse pad, 335 pages, and there have been many revised editions over the years. Its a great resource for learning which plants are good, which are bad, and what they all do. Great for the Pacific Northwest, as much of the listed plants and fungus are abundant here.

Second is a book I got while going through a Man Tracking Class for the Sheriff's Department I used to work for in Eastern Oregon. Tracking: A Blueprint For Learning How By Jack Kearney. There have been a few revised editions, 150 pages. The instructor of my class was the man who wrote the book himself and his longtime friend, and I scored top of my class of about 35 deputies. Really good read for learning the methods of tracking in the wilderness, useful for scoring all sorts game, and also how not to leave a trace behind so people cant track you. Very good read.

Third is a book I bought a few years ago and have loved. Ive read it about a hundred times, as I can really relate to the guys style of writing and the good info it contains. The guy teaches outdoor survival, hes a field guide and a tracker. New and Revised Practical OutDoors Survival- A Modern Approach to Staying Alive in the Wilderness By Len McDougall, 197 pages, you will read about many of the more common outdoor survival techniques, but also alot more. Well worth the money.

You can store masses of non perishable foodstuffs, and drinking water, and ammo, ect ect.. But if you end up having to leave your home in an incident, you likely will need to consolidate all your stuff into a few backpacks. Or the SHTF situation may outlast your reserves, and you will eventually need to learn how to procure these life essential things for yourself from the wilderness. Being prepaired with stuff at home is great, but we still need to learn how to do things for ourselves, when those stores run out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top