JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Low Impact Woodland Home

Some key points of the design and construction:

Dug into hillside for low visual impact and shelter
Stone and mud from diggings used for retaining walls, foundations etc.
Frame of oak thinnings (spare wood) from surrounding woodland
Reciprocal roof rafters are structurally and aesthaetically fantastic and very easy to do
Straw bales in floor, walls and roof for super-insulation and easy building
Plastic sheet and mud/turf roof for low impact and ease
Lime plaster on walls is breathable and low energy to manufacture (compared to cement)
Reclaimed (scrap) wood for floors and fittings
Anything you could possibly want is in a rubbish pile somewhere (windows, burner, plumbing, wiring...)
Woodburner for heating - renewable and locally plentiful
Flue goes through big stone/plaster lump to retain and slowly release heat
Fridge is cooled by air coming underground through foundations
Skylight in roof lets in natural feeling light
Solar panels for lighting, music and computing
Water by gravity from nearby spring
Compost toilet
Roof water collects in pond for garden etc.

Nice job!!! Well done!!!

Its great to see what some people get to build in other countries. There is no way we could do something like that in this country. Way, way to many rules and regulations. Not enough freedom.

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Sculpted...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322333302&sr=1-1

Amazon.com: The Cob Builders Handbook: You Can Hand-Sculpt Your Own Home (9780965908207): Becky Bee: Books

Amazon.com: The Solar House: Passive Heating and Cooling (9781931498128): Daniel D. Chiras: Books

I have all of these and the solar book is the best I've seen Not hippy dippy bs, but good rules of thumb and formulas. The cob building method also really fascinates me- I want to combine the two concepts.

I like the idea of a sustainable/cob/hay/stuff-like-that house but how well are they going to hold up in an earthquake?

-d

Put the cob house entirely on a concrete slab, use the correct portions of straw, and you should be fine. The concrete slab 'floats' the house, the straw forms a 3 dimensional matrix inside the clay/sand mixture and makes it pretty much a monolithic construction.

A 'traditional' home is constructed on dimensional lumber and achieves structural integrity through 90 degree angles. Stress the house more than a few degrees in any directions and it completely loses structural integrity. A cob house can achieve structural integrity through curves. A round, monolithic wall is much stronger than a 90 degree wall made of dimensional lumber, and withstands stress over a longer distance than a straight, flat wall.

Personally, I would not build a cob house more than two stories high. But the majority of houses aren't two stories high anyway.

Cob is also fireproof for all practical purposes, you're not going to shoot a bullet through 24" of cob/adobe, it'll be super quiet inside, and it has much better thermal mass for passive solar planning.

For a small survival shelter the woodland home could be done by 1 adult alone in only a few days with basic tools. A person could make a very primitive one in maybe just a day or two. I am glad I got to see and study how it was built.

or bust out the end of Cold War era US Army Training Manual (TM) on cover, concealment, camouflage and go to the chapter on making fighting positions; much the same idea; using rain proofs/ponchos/shelter half underneath sod and grasses matted over a log framework/roof material in makeshift bunkers and just enlarge it enough to turn it into a habitable dwelling :)

The rocket stove would be another great survival tool. I have a couple rocket stove plans saved on my hard drive somewhere. (I should print them out and put them in a binder.) There are different ways to build them and can be easily researched on the web.

Perhaps something like this would work?

<broken link removed>

I'd love to build one of these to see the possibilities but sadly I don't think my backyard's gonna work.

-d

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top