JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been making small survival kits like the mini kit for a while, fit it into an altoid tin. Mainly for Boy Scouts showing how to build an easily carried survival kit.

Whistle, micro light, small lighter, small tin of floss, fire starter, pain killers, anti bacterial wipe and some bandaids.

Add what you want and can. I carry a knife and usually a pocket tool on my belt. This should be supplemental.

Pocketable and fun to build.
View attachment 5493

I also have a pocket size first aid kit that fits well in a cargo pocket.

I thought i was the only one still making and using these. I was introduced to the pocket-sized tobacco tin Survival kit while at Cubs and the later again at Scouts. I thought that this was "old knowledge" long lost. Glad to see someone else is on the wavelength as well.

Tobacco tins are easily obtained, sometimes even free and hold a lot of kit when well packed. Plus they have a rubber gasket to keep out moisture. Add a telephone card for those emergency calls when the cell batteries are empty.

A can of coconut oil/milk for fat. It has a higher calorie content than peanuts or peanut butter.

Keep your fishing line in a dark bag/bottle. It degrades in light exposure, and you don't want it to fail after prolonged storage.

1-500ft of 550 cord. Infinite uses.

It may not be the most PC addition to the knowledge base already assembled here, but in addition to the above I've always found it useful to carry a pack of unfiltered cigarettes in my minikit. They make fantastic fire starters, holding an ember alot longer than the terrible new self-extinguishing stuff.

I almost always wear or carry with me this vest <broken link removed>

It's not so much a s a bug out vest or kit as a get home kit.

In it's various pockets I'l have:
cell phone
wallet/keys
small survival kit: whistle, mirror, tinder, flint & steel, small saw
knife
leatherman
knife sharpener
G3 surefire flashlight
micro led light
toothbrush
small camera
pen

There are probably a few other odds and ends too. Many times I have a book or magazine in one of the pockets and also stash the bank deposit bag from work in there too when I make the deposit. I like it because the varous pockets spread out the load and and doesnt look like I have hardware store jammed into one pocket.

It's comfortable and doesn't stand out as much as the fishing/safari vest for covering up a handgun. My fashion conscious wife even allows me to be seen with her while wearing it. So, for everyday carry, it works well for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top