JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stock up on knowledge!
On another thread, I offered to send anyone that asked, a CD copy of the Drum-Runners.com site -- about 450 Mb of .pdfs, and a ton more links to other info sites.

No one has taken me up on it (I didn't expect it to be a huge draw -- you self-identify as a gun owner, then send someone you don't know (me) your name and USPS addr? -- but also offered to bring a handful if another west-side meet-up gets organized. I was suggesting the Sherwood RedRobin or McMcMenamin's
followed by a tour of TCGC if enough of us with keys attend.

MrB

+1 Exactly

Stock up on knowledge! Study! We as a nation have forgotten how to live off the land, hunt and cook our food, grow our own crops, provide medical assistance to ourselves and others, store food, live with out electricity and running water and a toilet....lots of knowledge about survival is out there on the internet for the taking. Stock pile up on knowledge then spend your money wisely. You will not be able to afford everything that you will find out you need. Think rationally as you learn and its best to be confident and hope for the best.

All good suggestions

water is the most important a good estimate is 1 gal per person per day and have at least 3 days on hand.

Most of us will experience a survival mode while in the city so that means loss of electricity and water. So after water I would recommend a crank/battery opperated radio. Info is very important, if you need to move you know where to go and where not to go.

I just bought 3 backpacks (for the quick grab) and started putting in some camping bag meals.
Handi whipes
can opener
chewing gum
packages of coolaid to mix with water. When I was in the Coast Guard all the aviators had a couple of packages rolled up in their sleeve pockets. If you have to use muddy water after purified this will help with the taste.

Good suggestions here keep them coming.

Now go and get prepared and quit thinking about it

Prioritize your survival needs.
But don't ignore the 'low hanging fruit' just because it's lower down your list. My get-home bag consists of a shorty-shovel and a pair of boots. Just because a get-home bag was a lower priority than filling an at-home earth-shake kit didn't stop me from tossing a couple bits into the car the day I was looking for a good place to store 'em.

MrB

+1. Seeds should be heirloom seeds and not hybrids so that the plants will produce new seeds to kind. Hybrids either don't produce new seeds, or they produce seeds which won't grow the same variety and you don't know what you'll get. There are a lot of heirloom collectors and sellers online and even on ebay.

Most seeds sold in stores and most fruits and vegetables sold in store are hybrids.

http://www.seedfest.co.uk

Also, before stockpiling too much, think about what you are planning for.

When I lived in Seattle, I planned for evacuation. I had enough food and other stuff to make it through a difficult period of a couple of weeks in the events of ice storms and other temporary problems. But for something big, like the big earthquake or SHTF, the plan was to get out and get to family on the east side of the state. In those cases, I assumed that I'd be walking so there was no point to stockpile too much at home. The serious planning consisted of a large backups and everything I thought I'd need to make it over the mountains. Now that I've moved to an area where I would likely stay if the SHTF, I plan more for surviving in place.

So spend some time thinking about what you are going to do for different scenarios. It will affect how you prepare.

Stock up on knowledge! Study! We as a nation have forgotten how to live off the land, hunt and cook our food, grow our own crops, provide medical assistance to ourselves and others, store food, live with out electricity and running water and a toilet....lots of knowledge about survival is out there on the internet for the taking. Stock pile up on knowledge then spend your money wisely. You will not be able to afford everything that you will find out you need. Think rationally as you learn and its best to be confident and hope for the best.

Hey, you're back. Cool.

+1. Seeds should be heirloom seeds and not hybrids so that the plants will produce new seeds to kind. Hybrids either don't produce new seeds, or they produce seeds which won't grow the same variety and you don't know what you'll get. There are a lot of heirloom collectors and sellers online and even on ebay.

Most seeds sold in stores and most fruits and vegetables sold in store are hybrids.

Here's a good source for your Heirloom seeds.

Nichols Garden Nursery. Local NW source online and all heirloom seeds.

Gardening is fun, productive and helps keep you in shape, besides allowing you to supplement your diet with fresh food.

Gardening is fun, productive and helps keep you in shape, besides allowing you to supplement your diet with fresh food.
And what Father of Four said about stocking up on knowledge. We're expanding our garden this year, and I'm committing to help the wif more than I have in the past. I have no illusions that this garden will make a huge dent in our grocery budget, but it will serve to educate me as to what to do, if/when we do need to grow for self-sufficiency.

I received my copies of "Square Foot Gardening" and "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" from Amazon a couple days ago. Just flipping through SFG has already made me reconsider one aspect of the raised bed boxes I was planning to put in.

MrB

+1 on knowledge. You may have to leave behind supplies, but you take your brain with you. I'd rather be an accomplished rifleman without a rifle than vice versa, because I might be able to obtain a weapon quickly, but the same can't be said for training.

I attended my first Appleseed this past weekend. Highly recommended for any skill level of shooter. Well worth $70 for 14+ hours of instruction.

On the free side of things, many cities offer CERT classes (community emergency response team). It covers a variety of things from medical triage, to natural disasters, etc. 24 hours of training over 6 weeks. My first class starts next week.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top