Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Survival Lessons from The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by DeadEyeMcGoo, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

Now I've seen everything:

Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from AMC’s The Walking Dead https://www.canvas.net/courses/the-walking-dead

I'm pretty sure I can summarize everything this class might offer:

Lesson 1: When on duty, always carry a 6 shooter

Lesson 2: Stealing is bad. When half the world has become zombies, you should keep driving your 30 year old motor home.

Lesson 3: Avoid apartment buildings, military forts, or hardened homes. Just move into a prison.

Lesson 4: Even when the hordes are at your front door, there's always time for monologues.

Lesson 5: Never be the black guy. The black guy always dies.

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I will add: Ignore state of the art military weaponry and carry a bolt action hunting rifle instead.

Keith

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Have portable stank tanks.. ie de-jawed, neck-chained zombies. And a Samurai sword.

4. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Wow, the UC system just isn't what it used to be. No wonder so many university graduates are awash in debt and unemployable.

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

When staying on an old man's farm never look into the barn with the chain on the door, never keep your children secured, always head to a large city (in an old motor home) and never, never mistrust your bipolar, homicidal, lieing bro who has been f^cking your wife.

6. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Yes! Any time you need to fight zombie hordes, by all means, grab the collector Colt Python, not the Glock 17!

Actually, if the zombie apocalypse were real, chained, jawless zombies and a sword might be a great combination. If they only work on smell and sound, I'll take the sword and a 22lr with a suppressor and 40 grain solids.

7. unklekippy

I almost fell out of my chair! Ha!

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Can zombies swim? I would think that a nice island would make for a good home base.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think about this scenario since I work on an island. Might live here as well wi
    Thin the next year, we'll just have to see. Island living has its pluses and minuses.
    Ideally I'd have a bit of land to grow food on and a small boat to get to the mainland if needed.

Brutus out

10. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

In World War Z, zombies would just walk along the bottom of the ocean and just emerge in random locations.

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Campaign hats keep your ears from getting ripped off when you charge headlong through the brush yet remain perfectly unwarped and straight for a year. best hat ever!

12. hikepat

hikepat washington Member

Why a 30 year motor home if shtf because they are easier to keep running then the newer ones with all their fancy electronics and often used normal truck parts which would be easier to find when needed and in shtf you would need to make repairs at times. Also any one with even basic skills in truck repair would be more likley to keep them running. Just how many modern trained mechanics with understanding of modern truck computers and such are left when the shtf

Course in real life of movie making they are cheap to buy allowing movie producers to destroy them for the movie but now I guess I just ruining the fun of this post.

To be fair I never watch zombie movies finding them at best boring.

13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bone is he77 on arrow heads! Probably should just use field points.

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. pdx210

pdx210 Clackamas Active Member

it's the Atlanta area?

Ripe with red necks and guns bubba and friend in a lifted 4x4 would make sport of zombies they wouldn't have a chance?

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

We'll get stuck up top with the zombies while the privileged can go underground. Truck Driver Confirms Underground City Beneath US. 2013 - YouTube

I remember Dick Cheney was asked 'what if Washington DC got wiped out" - he responded, 'don't worry, there is an emergency government underground ready to take over and direct affairs."

Well, there certainly are. But dufus America could care a less.

16. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I only saw the first episode or two. I vaguely remember the scene but never fire a handgun inside a tank turret. Also dx your wife bubbleguming buddy.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Yes! Any time you need to fight zombie hordes, by all means, grab the collector Colt Python, not the Glock 17!
    Did you notice that the barrel of the python sticks out past the end of the holster?

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. pdx210

pdx210 Clackamas Active Member

LOL, that video is of Springfield underground its not very secret they have a web site you can even rent space there.

http://www.springfieldunderground.com/

Nutty4Guns and (deleted member) like this.
  19. unklekippy

Burt, you don't really believe that there is a highway system underground with cities that expand for thousands of miles, do you? Because a truck driver said so? Of course there are bunkers for politicians. We have actually seen some of them that have been declassified and are no longer used. Since the ones no longer being used are so incredibly secure and functional, I'm sure the new ones are pretty impressive.

Still, I can't imagine that they stretch for THOUSANDS of miles underground.

20. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I can't wait til Walking Dead starts back up so I can get some more survival lessons...:gun09: