JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Into The Wild" about that idiot Chris McCandless. What amazes me is how many people romanticize him and his failure. He was setting himself up for inevitable death, and got it. I'd call it piss poor planning, but that would give him the credit for actually having thought ahead at some level.

Yep, thanks for remembering the name of the book.
And yes, romanticizing about being out in the wild & on your own living off the land sure has its drawbacks, especially if you're stupid like McCandless.

And during our presentation we made a positive note that is so easy to & dangerous if you misidentify anything you put in your body, including spoiled meat.

Yep, thanks for remembering the name of the book.
And yes, romanticizing about being out in the wild & on your own living off the land sure has its drawbacks, especially if you're stupid like McCandless.

And during our presentation we made a positive note that is so easy to & dangerous if you misidentify anything you put in your body, including spoiled meat.
I feel romantic views of living off grid or in the wild is a very dangerous thing, and one that infects far too many people in the gun and prepper community.

A field guide, rifle and sleeping bag do not a mountain man make.

We came this >l< close to selling everything and doing an off-the-grid move years ago when we were younger. I often wonder how we would have fared when we were in great physical condition.

Oh well, if you do that there is no retiring and so far I am loving my retirement, so far.

Last Edited:
"Into The Wild" about that idiot Chris McCandless. What amazes me is how many people romanticize him and his failure. He was setting himself up for inevitable death, and got it. I'd call it piss poor planning, but that would give him the credit for actually having thought ahead at some level.
Read the book and saw the movie...I agree w/ your take on Chris.
Book was better for what's its worth.
A woman died after trying to reach the famous 'Into the Wild' bus :s0092:

More idiots have died trying to visit the bus.

We chose "edible plants in Alaska" as our topic from a book about a man that traveled up to Alaska and tried to go at it alone. He died because he thought he was eating one plant and it had actually been the other poisonous one that looks almost identical.

Good survival stuff Sir!!!

Sure does sound like "Into the Wild"
But that kid was straight up retarded.

@Caveman Jim ...... How many years has it been since that group on a guided river float was accidentally poisoned by the camp cook? He gathered some wild greens for the meal. Thought they were (xyz - perhaps Queen Anne's Lace) when they turned out to be Poison Hemlock or Western Water Hemlock. What was the death count, 8 people?

Note: Deadly Nightshade can be a problem too. Belladonna and other toxins.

Last Edited:
@Caveman Jim ...... How many years has it been since that group on a guided river float was accidentally poisoned by the camp cook? He gathered some wild greens for the meal. Thought they were (xyz - perhaps Queen Anne's Lace) when they turned out to be Poison Hemlock or Western Water Hemlock. What was the death count, 8 people?

Note: Deadly Nightshade can be a problem too. Belladonna and other toxins.

That incident I do not recall but that is friggin terrible, all it takes is a simple mistake!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I cannot imagine the pain they all went through, UGGGHHHH.:(

That incident I do not recall but that is friggin terrible, all it takes is a simple mistake!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I cannot imagine the pain they all went through, UGGGHHHH.:(

Sorry for the thread drift!

Water Hemlock was the culprit - oops.

Owyhee River 1984 - I'm really surprised I remembered this!!!

It is not a common practice for outfitters to allow consumption
of any wild foliage while on the river with the exception
of some berries, such as huckleberries and currant berries.
However, since the publication of books by Euell Gibbons*
that extolled the concepts of "returning to nature" and
equating all things natural with being "good," many people
are experimenting with living offthe land and eating "edible"
plants. Cicuta douglasii, the Western water hemlock plant,
has roots that look like parsnip roots and have a parsnip or
celerylike odor, thus tempting people to make the fatal mistake
of eating them.I Unfortunately, there is a thin line between
edible and poisonous plants, and when a mistake is
made while on a rafting trip, the victims are usually far from
any medical help and oftentimes inaccessible except by riverboat
or helicopter.
In late April 1984, six out of eight men on a float trip on
the Owyhee River in eastern Oregon were poisoned after
eating what was thought to be wild parsnip. Four of the men
each took from one to four small bites of the root (rhizome)
while the other two men ate at least one of the rhizomes.
About 45 minutes after eating the root, one person (case 1)
had a grand mal seizure that the other men assumed was an
epileptic seizure. When a second person (case 2) had a grand
mal seizure about 15 minutes later, the remaining members of
the party began to suspect that the roots they had eaten were
poisonous. One of the four men who ate only a small amount
of the root, a senior medical student at The University of
Oregon Health Sciences Center, attempted to maintain the
airways to protect the seizing patients;

Lots of ways to F up out there. I'll just sit here and sip my fake beer!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads