JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's pretty neat looking.

I wouldn't want that back side serrated edge so close to the grip though. But that's just a personal preference.
Yes it is a personal preference. I will say that the design is well thought out by the designer Avi Nardi who listened to many people around the world, both civilian and military to come up with this design. At first I will admit to not understanding the total design but did come around to it.

Yes it is a personal preference. I will say that the design is well thought out by the designer Avi Nardi who listened to many people around the world, both civilian and military to come up with this design. At first I will admit to not understanding the total design but did come around to it.
Neat design with quite a bit of utility. Kinda odd to sharpen those types.. I usually use sandpapers (120-5000) on a paint stick and then a dowel for that inward curve portion.. or just use the dowel for one smooth stroke the length of the blade.
Speaking of input of design, which is kinda remarkable from what the guy started with (using Gerber daggers in war), the "Michael Echanis knife" is pretty neat.. not that's really a "survival" knife per se..
(I like knives, lol)

Spydie%20Warrior-1.jpg

Just ask one of the masters.
Survival knife does not equal "sharp stabby thing to kill people with" unless you think that you will be in a gladiatorial arena. Survival knife is a tool for making the other things that keep your core temp compatible with life.

Hard to choose just one tool that is needed for so many uses. My view is a survival knife is the tool you choose for the road when you bug out?

Neat design with quite a bit of utility. Kinda odd to sharpen those types.. I usually use sandpapers (120-5000) on a paint stick and then a dowel for that inward curve portion.. or just use the dowel for one smooth stroke the length of the blade.
Speaking of input of design, which is kinda remarkable from what the guy started with (using Gerber daggers in war), the "Michael Echanis knife" is pretty neat.. not that's really a "survival" knife per se..
(I like knives, lol)

View attachment 235000

I LIKE that knife, deaf! Almost a "Persian Bowie" with that deep belly and drop point. I dont know where that term came from but it describes the type of knives that I've been using lately.

I LIKE that knife, deaf! Almost a "Persian Bowie" with that deep belly and drop point. I dont know where that term came from but it describes the type of knives that I've been using lately.
It speaks to me as well. I think that's an apt term.. but a reverse (?lol made that up) Tanto at the point and whatnot. A different "fighter" indeed.

Because my Dell scanner does not mate with my Dell lap top I cannot display my varied knife designs at work in the 'Special Australian Bush'....(it's only 'special bush' because of the Snakes and Crocks and Spiders and Millipedes and the tiny barbed fish that swim up your urethra, and the lack of grog)

But I actually tested a number of blades on everything from bamboo to hardwoods
My edumacated conclusion is that one needs 3 knives and a saw
A chopper; 16" uncurved blade or less with a long smooth handle (5" max), to reduce fatigue, the blade should be thick and wide enough, with the mass out front so that the weight of the blade does the work.
Belt knife; a saw back knife, of moderate weight, with a hammer pommel. (USAF Survival knife)
A 3 blade pocket knife like a stockman's knife or a Boy Scout's / Swiss Army knife with quality blades that will hold an edge that a surgeon would be proud of! (I prefer high carbon steel)

erudne, my and other's sentiments also.. a few different "cutters" is the way to go, ideally.
If I was going to go all Omega Man on/in the wilds though, I'd toss that machete in favor of essentially a felling axe.
The thread though is querying singular/only metal.. a knife, to be exact.

Because my Dell scanner does not mate with my Dell lap top I cannot display my varied knife designs at work in the 'Special Australian Bush'....(it's only 'special bush' because of the Snakes and Crocks and Spiders and Millipedes and the tiny barbed fish that swim up your urethra, and the lack of grog)

But I actually tested a number of blades on everything from bamboo to hardwoods
My edumacated conclusion is that one needs 3 knives and a saw
A chopper; 16" uncurved blade or less with a long smooth handle (5" max), to reduce fatigue, the blade should be thick and wide enough, with the mass out front so that the weight of the blade does the work.
Belt knife; a saw back knife, of moderate weight, with a hammer pommel. (USAF Survival knife)
A 3 blade pocket knife like a stockman's knife or a Boy Scout's / Swiss Army knife with quality blades that will hold an edge that a surgeon would be proud of! (I prefer high carbon steel)

Your #2, what are the serrations good for in a survival knife (unless you have lots of rope to cut).

#3, having spent a lot of time in scouts as a kid both in it and as a mentor - Swiss knives and the like are the worst survival tool around. Case in point, when that unlocked blade swings shut on your fingers and that razor edge nearly severs your digits, you'll be in a lot worse way then you would have been without a knife at all.

Just playing devils advocate.;)

The serrations are to score wood in trap making and lashing limbs together making shelter/rafts

The SAK is crap but in this case it is used as an illustration, not a recommendation
One caries 3 cutting tools so that one has the proper tool for the job

Erudne, I would agree with CertainDeaf about the axe,
I carry the following nowadays;
4.5" hunting knife on my belt or harness when camping
Buck 444 locking folder in pocket
Leatherman Wave on belt(EDC)
and with my pack;
an axe and a 21" bow saw, sharpening stick in block (old ceramic rods in wood block in a V shape) and the 5.5" large knife.
I also received this from my dad; a China copy of a German mess kit knife; it might take the place of the Leatherman Wave, or the Buck 444, as its got a metric hex wrench, bottle opener, can opener, wire stripper, flat head screwdriver, and a serrated section for cutting rope/nylon webbing, might be able to do notches for traps or small items. Rostfrei Camp knife 1.jpg Rostfrei Camp Knife 2.jpg Rostfrei Camp knife 3.jpg Rostfrei Camp knife 4.jpg Rostfrei Camp knife 5.jpg

That last knife reminded me of a fine knife I've had in my glove box for going on thirty years. A multi-blade Mauser with a corkscrew. Don't be a rube and be without a corkscrew for those special occasions.

I suppose "survival" is what you figure you are going to need. For me, it's more buschcraft, fire starting (use spine not edge), cleaning game/fish, food prep and any knife can be used for self defense if necessary. Not being a "Rambo" guy myself, so I do not envision myself having to cut a tank in half. ;) But a multiple "cutting tool" approach is wise.

Swiss Army knives are actually pretty decent little knives. Granted, they don't have the latest in metal materials for the blades, but they are very functional and easy to keep sharp. It's a slipjoint design so poking stuff or not using good Boyscout knife safety could result in cutting ones self ....... badly. Personally, I carry slipjoints like nice old stockman patterns, never a problem (knock on wood).

Mike

A bushcraft knife and a survival knife should be one in the same. To differentiate the 2 is saying you were sold by the fairy tales you heard on you tube.
But knife makers want to tell folks to process wood with knives instead of the proper way.
All the knives I have can be used for "bushcraft" (the name for what I did as a kid all the time),survival,or fighting ,if need be. The idea is to buy a EDC or "camping" knife that fits you the best. Or the one you just have to have. I do that a lot.Just buy a knife cause it's cool. Doesn't need any particular use,but usually can be used for most anything I need it for.
Differences in knives make sense in the kitchen where you have bread,carving,paring,large cutting and filet style knives.
Out side the kitchen,if you use a knife for what it is intended to be,most any knife will suffice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top