JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HOLLY COW
You want a simpler argument,ask what motor oil is best or what caliber is best.

Go to you tube and watch knife vids for about a month straight and yo will get more confused than you thought you were.lol

Just remember knives are cutting tools not wood processing tools. Then find a knife that fits YOUR HANDS best.

Let's ask cooperritchey to add detail to the initial request for survival knife suggestions. We need a price range and we need his particular definition of survival use.

Like many of us, my most used knife is a good quality lockblade folder clipped into a pants pocket. That's the one that comes into my hand several times a day, for all sorts of chores. I think I'll consider that a "core" around which to build. I can't imagine being without it, and it would still be most used in any survival situation I can envision.

If budget is generous and I want something big, bad and indestructible for playing machete, hatchet, butcher knife, etc. then Busse it is. For a more restricted budget, I'd say Becker. But another approach might be inexpensive hatchet and decent modestly sized hunting knife. If I remember correctly, the original Air Force survival knife was not over 5" and had a small sharpening stone on the sheath. It also had a hex nut pommel that could do a little hammering if necessary.

BTW, I get a lot of use out of my Leatherman WAVE and the optional tool bit kit. It has held up well and is very handy. But despite the two blades, I do not use it primarily as a knife, only occasionally.

Let's hear what cooperritchey is actually looking for.

Let's ask cooperritchey to add detail to the initial request for survival knife suggestions. We need a price range and we need his particular definition of survival use.

Like many of us, my most used knife is a good quality lockblade folder clipped into a pants pocket. That's the one that comes into my hand several times a day, for all sorts of chores. I think I'll consider that a "core" around which to build. I can't imagine being without it, and it would still be most used in any survival situation I can envision.

If budget is generous and I want something big, bad and indestructible for playing machete, hatchet, butcher knife, etc. then Busse it is. For a more restricted budget, I'd say Becker. But another approach might be inexpensive hatchet and decent modestly sized hunting knife. If I remember correctly, the original Air Force survival knife was not over 5" and had a small sharpening stone on the sheath. It also had a hex nut pommel that could do a little hammering if necessary.

BTW, I get a lot of use out of my Leatherman WAVE and the optional tool bit kit. It has held up well and is very handy. But despite the two blades, I do not use it primarily as a knife, only occasionally.

Let's hear what cooperritchey is actually looking for.
looking for a knife in the $100.00 to $200.00 dollar rang, and something that well last long and not fail on me

You opened up a nice can of worms!!

Whatever is comfortable for you to carry and feels good in hand. The strongest knives will be anything with good steel and a full tang. There are some amazing folders out there too. I personally carry my Zero Tolerance folder everywhere as an EDC. I also loved my old Benchmade before it got stolen. I've carried and used them both all over the world. Same with my Bark River and ESEE fixed blades.

Fit he knife characteristics to what you are looking for. A lot of knife aficionados insist on one brand over another and won't even consider anything not from their favorite knife maker.

Brands don't matter as much as some insist on. Most of the ones mentioned earlier are nice knives. Even some of the production knives by and Benchmade, Kershaw, and Shrade will meet your requirements.

Question: What's most important to you? Wear resistance? Toughness? Rust resistance? How easy it is to sharpen? They aren't the same and different steels are better at different things. I like wear resistance because I don't like sharpening blades. A sharp blade of O1 is kind of neat, but it rusts easily and requires frequent sharpening though its tough. I think super steels like CPM 3V are better. Do research about the steel you want or go ask an expert. If you won't be taking care of your blades you might want to get some sort of stainless.

Check out a specialty knife store and start picking some up and see how they feel. Go to a knife show. Ask questions of the experts. My favorite store in Oregon is KnivesShipFree in Hillsboro. The guy there knows A LOT about knives and would be able to guide you through some pros and cons of certain knives.

I'll jump... Boiling it down to one knife only and only one knife SHTF....a vintage Ka-Bar or, next would be an AK bayonet. The wire cutter combo of the sheath and knife opens up all kinds of possibilities. Not sure who makes the best of he bunch (kinda like SKS! Chinese, rus, yugo,etc) but a simple, stout knife reasonably priced IMHO.
That being said I'd probably boogie with several different pointy, sharply things truth be told.

Brutus out

I think you get what you pay for,to a point.
You get a cheap knife and you will spend more time keeping it sharp. You get a pretty decent knife and it will tune right up. You spend $300+ and you will get a knife that has more cool factor and won't necessarily out perform a $150-200 knife. You may never see what you spent the extra money for,since it was the name on the blade.
Now this applies to working knives,which is what we are talking about here. I like me some cool factor on EDC knives.
Go to a big box store and handle a few knives. Decide how large you want the knife to be,then pick the knife you like at the price you want to spend.
Most $200 name brand knives will serve you very well and will sharpen up easily.
So at your price range find the size and knife that fit you best.The brand isn't as important as most have to use good metal or they won't stay around long.

You spend $300+ and you will get a knife that has more cool factor and won't necessarily out perform a $150-200 knife. You may never see what you spent the extra money for,since it was the name on the blade.

I dunno, I've broken TOPS, Beckers, a couple Moras, an Air Force Pilots knife, and more, but I've never broken my Busse. And I've tried.

For me the extra $$ was for more than a name... Busse Hogs tend to herd together, and you can't beat the Busse warranty..

"All Busse Knife Group blades are guaranteed for life against any and all unintentional MAJOR damage. Your knife will either be repaired or replaced at our discretion."

That's straight from their webpage. If you didn't mean to break it, they will replace it.

Of course they are so big and heavy that it's rumored that a Busse is what actually struck and sank the Titanic, but hey, it won't break!

I dunno, I've broken TOPS, Beckers, a couple Moras, an Air Force Pilots knife, and more, but I've never broken my Busse. And I've tried.

For me the extra $$ was for more than a name... Busse Hogs tend to herd together, and you can't beat the Busse warranty..

"All Busse Knife Group blades are guaranteed for life against any and all unintentional MAJOR damage. Your knife will either be repaired or replaced at our discretion."

That's straight from their webpage. If you didn't mean to break it, they will replace it.

Of course they are so big and heavy that it's rumored that a Busse is what actually struck and sank the Titanic, but hey, it won't break!
But really,most won't abuse a knife enough to break it. See that's what other tools are for:rolleyes:

If I were in cooperritchey's shoes, I'd consider this reason enough to hit a few knife shows, as well as gun shows that include knives.:D Sometimes you stumble into a bargain, like that $20 Cold Steel SRK I fell into - had a funny homemade sheath, but only needed a little work on the edge, and I've got a very durable outdoor knife.

Busse makes a great knife, but you can get 2-3 Fallkniven's for the same dough and you ain't gonna break one of them either. Get on YouTube and search "Fallkniven A1 Destruction Test". Right after watching those videos, you'll be buying yourself a Fallkniven.:)

Disclaimer: Fallkniven is not my favorite pet brand, and there are tons of other good knives out there, but if you want a seriously tough survival-minded knife with a full tang and premium quality steel, they can't be beat for the price.

Last Edited:
Like I said above.........once you go Becker you never go back. I have had 3-4 times the price of knives including Busse, Survive and Bark river. You cannot beat Beckers for the price.
Here is my woods rig, Becker BK9 with a BK24 riding piggy back in a custom drop leg kydex.
What is the smaller knife????

looking for a knife in the $100.00 to $200.00 dollar rang, and something that well last long and not fail on me
I have an OLD Buck Frontier w/black handle
th?id=JN.AKj5H0U3EBZKID2%2fc9lTvw&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg

I bought at a gun show 40 years ago fer $20 it is virtually new I can let you have for $99.95!:rolleyes:
And, yes I am losing money on this deal

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top